+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BBC weather forecasting...

Re: BBC weather forecasting...

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well that's a very rational and well put point , which stands out from some of the irate and angry replies from the execution mob !

I would disagree of course, but you're clearly looking at it for yourself and that's very different from some. I can fully understand why you'd accept the data which you've read, but equally there's a motivation for all sorts of people and organisations to be a bit selective in what they select as the data then how they read it. As I'm sure you know , it's easily possible to prove by correct Math that one equals two, and perhaps some industries might be happy to go down these lines if the alternative is to rock the boat.

If you're genuinely interested I can certainly address the subject, but as I said, I don't usually go that far into it because of the "emporers new clothes " effect and anger it provokes from Walter the swine herd and Daft Jack McDaft.
    What a deluded fool

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Hot and sandy not that difficult to predict in fairness.
    Did you really just post this?

What a deluded fool
    "Correct math" Hmmm. Bit of a giveaway.

They cannot get weather forecasts correct 48 hours ahead, yet they can be absolutely certain to the precise 1 degrees what the planet temperatures will be 20 and 100 years ahead. Convincing eh?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    In Pembrokeshire the local radio station has a local weather forecast called the 5 past forecast

There is a chap who’s house at St Brides looks across the bay. The radio station rings him. He looks across the bay sometimes using binoculars and very accurately lets the listeners know what weather is headed their way.

Simple but effective
    He also licks his index finger and points it skyward.

If that's before or after he does his 'other thing' with it, I do not know...

I didn't realise that it was an exam . Are you a great academic then Pedro ? i hadn't got that impression , but then maybe I'm insufficiently educated myself to spot the intellectual cream.

Beggin your pardon though, guvnor , and without disrespecting your CSE in metalwork , there seems to be a tiny problem with your top level thinking in that you worked out , and apparently still think that I'm WB.

Thing is ,you see, and without disrespecting your high level deductive logic or anything, that is in fact what we barely literate types refer to as "arrant bollocks".

You see, you KNOW I'm WB just as you KNOW that man is causing catastrophic climate change. I mean , you're wrong , but that doesn't really matter.
    What are your specific problems with my punctuation by the way ? If you wanted to be strictly correct you should have put a comma before you opened the brackets you know, but I really didn't know that chat threads were quite that formal .
    Really?

Yes, really. Don't try to imply some superior knowledge with that tactic because I very much doubt that it exists.

What a deluded fool

Yeah that's right Walter, I'm the deluded fool ,not you and your gang.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    "Correct math" Hmmm. Bit of a giveaway.

Really ?
    What did it give away, Sherlock ?

Yes, really. Don't try to imply some superior knowledge with that tactic because I very much doubt that it exists.
    I always like to learn. So what's the rule? You always put a comma before opening brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A typical post that pretends to be on the side of logic and evidence but is as much fantasy as the fairy story you chose to use. Alt-right, flat earth, conspiracy theorising again whilst calling out those who don't agree with your opinion as stupid.

97% of all climate scientists around the globe agree - that the world is warming at a much faster rate than could be explained by natural processes (in fact the natural processes have slightly held back the rate of warming) with associated extreme weather events, and that it is human activity especially since the 1950s that is the cause. The climate studies are peer reviewed and have been subjected to constant and rigorous challenge. The folksy appeal to ignore 'experts' and scientists, and instead adopt the lead of the flat earthers and Big Oil - Big Gas - Big Coal coalitions to Make America Gormless Again is pathetic. The compromised scientists are those in the 3% who are paid by the polluters and don't open their work up to rigorous scientific challenge.

We are very close to the point of no return where your claim that humans have 'negligable' ability to effect a positive change will become true.

The real fairy story you are peddling is the one that sees scientists as the pawns of the great Globalist Conspiracy (successors to the Templars, the Illuminati and the other famous global conspiracy theories that were most popular in the 1930s). In your world they are the evil cabal out to stop the common, right thinking, patriotic man - now championed by Boris Johnson and Donald Trump - from living their lives the way they want without a care. Except the gas-guzzlers would screw the world in the process and Johnson and Trump only care about themselves.
    I wonder why this message hasn't been answered? Very good post Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A typical post that pretends to be on the side of logic and evidence but is as much fantasy as the fairy story you chose to use. Alt-right, flat earth, conspiracy theorising again whilst calling out those who don't agree with your opinion as stupid.

97% of all climate scientists around the globe agree - that the world is warming at a much faster rate than could be explained by natural processes (in fact the natural processes have slightly held back the rate of warming) with associated extreme weather events, and that it is human activity especially since the 1950s that is the cause. The climate studies are peer reviewed and have been subjected to constant and rigorous challenge. The folksy appeal to ignore 'experts' and scientists, and instead adopt the lead of the flat earthers and Big Oil - Big Gas - Big Coal coalitions to Make America Gormless Again is pathetic. The compromised scientists are those in the 3% who are paid by the polluters and don't open their work up to rigorous scientific challenge.

We are very close to the point of no return where your claim that humans have 'negligable' ability to effect a positive change will become true.

The real fairy story you are peddling is the one that sees scientists as the pawns of the great Globalist Conspiracy (successors to the Templars, the Illuminati and the other famous global conspiracy theories that were most popular in the 1930s). In your world they are the evil cabal out to stop the common, right thinking, patriotic man - now championed by Boris Johnson and Donald Trump - from living their lives the way they want without a care. Except the gas-guzzlers would screw the world in the process and Johnson and Trump only care about themselves.
    Where was the figure of 97% sourced?

As a matter of interest, does anyone use/tap a barometer these days?

What's the point of discussing anything on here any more when at least 4 or 5 people posting in a thread are just Wales Bales backing himself up?

If you are denying climate change is real at this point you either haven't looked at the evidence, looked at the evidence and not understood it, are too afraid to admit it's real or have something to gain from denying it's real. If you think it's a coincidence certain cities recorded record temperatures yesterday I've got bad news for you.

I can promise you man made climate change has happened and is getting worse. That's not from just "looking at data" either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Where was the figure of 97% sourced?
    https://skepticalscience.com/global-...termediate.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...fclimatechange

And on the debate about the 97% figure:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ctonics-a-hoax

(With apologies to Wales-Bales etc for using a story carried by the Guardian - even if authored by someone from the study).

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...ce.cld.iop.org

This is then IOP paper on it.

What I really don’t understand is why has this become a left and right issue? It’s a weird thing like gun control in the states and the NHS here that both sides should be united on for the good of each other.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...ce.cld.iop.org

This is then IOP paper on it.

What I really don’t understand is why has this become a left and right issue? It’s a weird thing like gun control in the states and the NHS here that both sides should be united on for the good of each other.
    Votes. Simple as. If 90% of Americans were in favour of gun control Trump would be Tweeting in minutes about how he had always favoured such. Same with NHS in UK. Supporting the NHS is a vote winner amongst our ageing population. Climate change, by definition, is too long term for transient politicians to risk political power by introducing short term "fixes". Trump support a coal and oil industries as there are both votes and financial support available...and there is an election next year.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Votes. Simple as. If 90% of Americans were in favour of gun control Trump would be Tweeting in minutes about how he had always favoured such. Same with NHS in UK. Supporting the NHS is a vote winner amongst our ageing population. Climate change, by definition, is too long term for transient politicians to risk political power by introducing short term "fixes". Trump support a coal and oil industries as there are both votes and financial support available...and there is an election next year.
    That makes sense but if that is the case why are the right in our country wanting to "get rid" of the NHS? If it's all about winning votes surely they should be championing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    That makes sense but if that is the case why are the right in our country wanting to "get rid" of the NHS? If it's all about winning votes surely they should be championing it.
    Outsource...not "get rid". Just like education is being privatised through the back door by taking control away from local authorities, centralising control in Westminster (for those of us east of Offa's) who then starve the system of funding until, ta dah, parents make financial contributions to the running of schools. Which of course don't go towards essentials but extras like minibuses....honest. The academy system just supports creeping privatisation. The last school I worked at was rationing paper for the photocopiers with essential services outsourced to organisations like Capita. Nice non executive directorships for ex politicians. And my local MP has just got the education job having been sacked from defence. Roll on Wigan. I always feel better after a good singalong.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wonder why this message hasn't been answered? Very good post Jon
    Because it's all just repeated political rhetoric, especially the bit where he tries to associate it with other subjects entirely in an effort to discredit the poster, despite the fact that these subjects weren't mentioned.
    Also, there's not much point in arguing the toss about it if he's convinced,
    "it's not what he don't know that bothers me, it's what he does know that just ain't so "

I'm glad you thought it was a good post though. There's probably no point in you or Jon taxing your minds too much on the subject - I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.