+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aden Flint & Bristol City's "Factory of Failure"

Aden Flint & Bristol City's "Factory of Failure"

Reading through the commentary from Bristol City fans I am amazed how many seem to believe that that signing him is a mistake by Cardiff City. Much of this appears to be ill-judged from my point of view. I think Aden Flint is about to be a very big hit for Neil Warnock and Cardiff City and I’ll explain not only why, but why Bristol City fans are missing a few big points on both the playing and non-playing side.

Bizarre claims
    Bristol City fans claim that they saw the best of him, that he is "over the hill", that we have already seen "Peak Flint" and that Cardiff City have been ripped off. But Aden Flint is only 30. And Aden has never relied on pace as his main asset. A Virgil Van Dijk he will never be. He is more of a Dejan Lovren: a central defender who relies on physicality, restricting the space behind him by dropping deep, winning the header and giving a simple pass or clearing it. In other words, a perfect Neil Warnock centre half. This type of player, who does not rely on pace, therefore doesn’t lose it, and can play until very late – often until 35/36, and still compete well. The real reason he left Bristol City was that Middlesborough were willing to pay him well and Lansdown’s eyes lit up with 7 million pounds sterling when flashed before his very eyes. In addition, Johnson wanted defenders to push higher up the pitch most of the time so Aden Flint didn’t really fit into that playing style, as he would be susceptible to the ball played behind him and being caught out due to a lack of pace. But with us, Neil’s tactics fit his style, and if we were to get 4-5 good years out of Aden and just one promotion, the money would be paid back in spades.

Bristol's "Barrow Boys" - a failing strategy
    Bristol City fans seem to be revelling in the fact they sold him for £7 million to Middlesborough. Yet Bristol City’s fans are behaving like dollar-obsessed City traders, putting short term trading profits above all else. All they are missing is having the slick-back hair, a pair of red braces and with their best Harry Enfield voice, squaking “Loadsamoney!”. They are in the mode of thinking they are being clever with cash, when the only person pocketing the difference is Steven Lansdown. If only they had such money to spend! With Lansdown being so financial frugal on squad spending, I am surprised that we haven’t yet seen the Labour-voting anti-semite masses of Bristol City swarming Landsdown’s front door with their West Country pitchforks, falsely accusing him of being a Jew and baying for his eviction. I can only surmise that expectations of sporting low achievement is par for the course in that City, and they accept it as a given that is a great thing to celebrate that Landsown’s personal balance sheet is fattening like a Christmas goose at the expense of their football squad’s quality. If “Pocket The Difference” is their sole mantra they should be running ASDA not a football club.

False Economy
    When Bristol City can achieve things like promotion, then perhaps we can applaud their financial acumen, in the way that Jurgen Klopp balances both frugal spending and successful strategy. In the meantime my prediction is a simple one. Lee Johnson will give it the big one about his “philosophies” and “visions”, but it will all prove to be hot air. In classic Lee Johnson style, his team will bottle it, fade away as always and fail, whilst Lansdown will again put Lee Johnson through another round of key player sell offs. Johnson, The Championship’s Blagging Billy, continues to blow his trombone about ““philosophies”, “identity” and “visions” but is rapidly becoming the Championship’s perennial “Nigel Nearly”. 18th, 17th, 11th and 8th neither vindicate his claim to be the new Messiah of Ashton Gate, and Landsown’s financial approach isn’t exactly helping. Bristol City’s “Factory of Failure” will continue. It really is as simple and predictable as that.

Flint’s vital statistics & why he will succeed
    Back to Aden Flint. With Aden Flint in the team he scored 37 goals in 209 games for Bristol City- a strike rate of 18 per cent. Putting that into context that is a better strike rate than any of their slovernly midfielders or forwards achieved last season, other than Famara Diedhou and Andreas Weimann. Not bad for a centre half! He also collected Player Of The Year in 2014-15 and 2015-16. At 6 foot 6, and in Neil Warnock’s style of football of deep-lying defenders, Aden Flint is going to have an easy time defending crosses and set pieces. If Aden Flint chips in with 5 goals this season and helps keep clean sheets then that will be another string to City’s bow. These are vital statistics that I think will make him a huge hit.

As for Cardiff City, Neil Warnock will get Cardiff promoted through his experience and shrewd dealing. As long as Tan keeps making money, and we keep experiencing promotions, then inevitably Tan will remain and our squad gets stronger. That is the difference between and a funding model and a failing model - something Bristol City would do well to learn. Aden Flint will prove to be a thunderous hit, and will be adding handsomely to the goal tally as we comfortably travel back to the promised land. Promotion back to the promised land is a certainty.

Re: Aden Flint & Bristol City's "Factory of Failure"

I would expect flint to be a good fit in a Warnock side.

Not sure what the anti Semitic labour voters part adds to the post though.

I agree fully with Rjk. I’d also add that Flint may be a typical Warnock defender in being poor at distribution

I had a read on their forum to just check what their thoughts were on his ability. With some you have to take the emotion from their posts, upset he is joining Cardiff, maybe subconsciously even and the usual he's shit because he left.

Overall though they feel the two cbs they have currently are better but that flint did a lot for them whilst there. Can't say I've seen much of the three to compare but I get the feeling it's down to footballing ability and their belief that they play or should play football the right way.

I guess we will have to see but I'm thinking in both boxes he will be effective. Morrison will have a partner to receive some of the long throws and corners. Set pieces were awful last year, I'd imagine we will get back to a similarly effective level as we were 2 seasons ago.

Can't discount bamba or Nelson either though. Manga needed replacing and we have done that quickly.