+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Predictions for Cardiff City this season; place a heavy bet!

Predictions for Cardiff City this season; place a heavy bet!

I thought I'd stick my neck out on Cardiff City this season for predictions. Two seasons ago I predicted promotion, although there were a lot of doubters around that season. Automatic promotion it was an we were all happy bunnies. Last season I predicted relegation, but let's face it, that was bookies call and msost fans saw that coming. I think reading around the forums what really surprises me this season is the lack of believers in a possible promotion.

Let's look at what we have here!

Goalkeepers - Etheridge not only did well as a keeper last time we got promoted but was excellent in the top flight. He will be a better goalkeeper than last time around. The addition of Day is for backup purposes only, but Smithies and Etheride is a tremendous double act in between the sticks.

Defenders - How can we remain sceptical with largely the same defensive untit (minus a Manga) that got us promoted and a year better and wiser for nearly keeping us in the Premier League? With the addition of Flint to replace Manga this will be a "duck's chuff" tight defence.

Midfield - Yes we have lost Camarassa and Gunnarsson, but Bacuna has good experience and there are enough midfielders in there to hold the fort. The area of doubt, but with the midfield so often bypassed, and the keepers and defence being so good this is the area we can afford to be a little weaker in.

Forwards - Josh Murphy, Bobby Reid, Danny Ward, Paterson, Omar Bogle, Mendez-Laing and Junior Hoilett is "plenty and proven" at this level. I discount Madine as I think we should sell him quickly. So six good forwards for three positions is double-cover. Pace and power - we will be causing a heap of trouble on the counter attack.

With set pieces we also have the aerial bombardments from Morrison and Flint to look forward to. Seriously folks, we are going to have some fun, and we still have one or two signings to come. I have lobbed a £200 bet on a City promotion this season such is my confidence.

Good luck to all flutterers and followers!

Re: Predictions for Cardiff City this season; place a heavy bet!

I love your optimism.

Don't feel the same way myself, there are some decent sides in the Championship and it ain't going to be easy.

If we can shift madine and get a decent striker I reckon we will get 2nd, if not 4th/5th....

I got a few sheckles back on City at 7/1 when we got promoted to the Prem . The last time I looked the best odds were 7/2 . I think we have enough to old our own in this division but we look a little short on pace at the back and need strengthening in the middle of the pack. I agree we also need a good forward to take the pressure of our defence.

With the squad as it is I think the bookies have got it about right - top 6 not top 2.

If Etheridge stays I imagine Smithies will go (maybe on loan) as was discussed at the start of the summer. It is very strange the way he was left out of the USA/Canada tour without any explanation - but it does make it look like Day is now No 2.

The OP didn't mention Paterson or Tomlin. The first will definitely play a major part, as a No 9, a No 10, a wide right player or a right wing back. If Tomlin isn't shipped out and is integrated into the squad we will have another wild card that could be a major new creative force for us - or a flop again. Maybe tomorrow v Nice will give a clue.

I expect to see 2/3 new signings before the window closes. If they are first team starters and include a proper No 9 I will be very hopeful for the season.

I think we could see a few players surprising us - and doing a much better job than we expect at the moment. Bogle, Bacuna and Cunningham are my tips.

The OP did mention Paterson - amongst the forwards, as he played there a few times, or in centre mid.

I got 7.5/1 on City which I think is generous. I have Leeds and Cardiff as bets for “promotion” either via the playoffs or automatic. I think we will be automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I thought I'd stick my neck out on Cardiff City this season for predictions. Two seasons ago I predicted promotion, although there were a lot of doubters around that season. Automatic promotion it was an we were all happy bunnies. Last season I predicted relegation, but let's face it, that was bookies call and msost fans saw that coming. I think reading around the forums what really surprises me this season is the lack of believers in a possible promotion.

Let's look at what we have here!

Goalkeepers - Etheridge not only did well as a keeper last time we got promoted but was excellent in the top flight. He will be a better goalkeeper than last time around. The addition of Day is for backup purposes only, but Smithies and Etheride is a tremendous double act in between the sticks.

Defenders - How can we remain sceptical with largely the same defensive untit (minus a Manga) that got us promoted and a year better and wiser for nearly keeping us in the Premier League? With the addition of Flint to replace Manga this will be a "duck's chuff" tight defence.

Midfield - Yes we have lost Camarassa and Gunnarsson, but Bacuna has good experience and there are enough midfielders in there to hold the fort. The area of doubt, but with the midfield so often bypassed, and the keepers and defence being so good this is the area we can afford to be a little weaker in.

Forwards - Josh Murphy, Bobby Reid, Danny Ward, Paterson, Omar Bogle, Mendez-Laing and Junior Hoilett is "plenty and proven" at this level. I discount Madine as I think we should sell him quickly. So six good forwards for three positions is double-cover. Pace and power - we will be causing a heap of trouble on the counter attack.

With set pieces we also have the aerial bombardments from Morrison and Flint to look forward to. Seriously folks, we are going to have some fun, and we still have one or two signings to come. I have lobbed a £200 bet on a City promotion this season such is my confidence.

Good luck to all flutterers and followers!

What odds now are we?

May b best to do it now before we sign a few gems in the next few weeks?

The OP did mention Paterson - amongst the forwards, as he played there a few times, or in centre mid.

I got 7.5/1 on City which I think is generous. I have Leeds and Cardiff as bets for “promotion” either via the playoffs or automatic. I think we will be automatic.
    Ok sorry hadn't read this, they seem decent odds for promotion who was that with?

Sorry - missed that.

I hope Paterson isn't shoe-horned into central midfield. He is versatile - but not in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sorry - missed that.

I hope Paterson isn't shoe-horned into central midfield. He is versatile - but not in that position.
    He knocked in goals when playing there and will cover adequately in my view, but I agree it’s not my favoured position either. I prefer on the right of the three central midfielders, where is engine, deep crossing, tackling and powerful shooting can all be effective.

I took my bets on Cardiff and Leeds on promotion as soon as they came out, around 4-6 weeks ago. Now the odds have narrowed. I got 5-1 on Leeds for promotion back then.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football...9-20-promotion

For championship level

Goalkeeping : good
    Defence : excellent if playing a low block system. Not really suitable for much else (i.e. holding a high line, building from the back etc)

Central midfield: decent but uninspiring

Wingers: very good championship level

Strikers : Reid is good but not really going to be a lone striker in a Warnock system. The rest not good enough.

We play a style of football that is becoming increasingly less successful at this level. I'm not saying it can't be, but even the likes of pulis (who has basically been a more successful Warnock over the years) struggled in a decent Middlesbrough side.

I took my bets on Cardiff and Leeds on promotion as soon as they came out, around 4-6 weeks ago. Now the odds have narrowed. I got 5-1 on Leeds for promotion back then.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football...9-20-promotion
    Betfair have Cardiff 3-1 and Leeds 6-4 but have £100 in free bets, bet £10 get a free £20 bet up to five times, pretty sure anyone could make a profit on that with a £50 stake then close the account?

PS I don't really gamble, other than the National but for £50 and being able to bet £150 I might have a flutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebina View Post
    Betfair have Cardiff 3-1 and Leeds 6-4 but have £100 in free bets, bet £10 get a free £20 bet up to five times, pretty sure anyone could make a profit on that with a £50 stake then close the account?

PS I don't really gamble, other than the National but for £50 and being able to bet £150 I might have a flutter?
    The only problem now is what other bets? Who is going to win the Premier League Man City or Liverpool?

And would they let you bet £10 Cardiff City and free £20 bet Cardiff City?

I suppose you could bet Leeds to win promotion, then Cardiff as your free £20, Man City to win the Premier League Liverpool as you free £20?

7.5/1 seems very good.. who's that with and does it include both Leeds and Cardiff together ? Best I saw was 7/2 which seems very flattering to Cardiff. I will be happy with a playoff position as of today.

Sorry derailed the thread a bit Cardiff have a great chance, best Manager one of the best squads but looking at the odds you realise there are some strong teams

Leeds
    Fulham
    Cardiff
    Stoke
    Boro
    Brentford
    Derby
    Huddersfield
    Bristol City

Saying that I would still back us top two!!!

Hi,
    Thoughts on...

Leeds - yes. Bielsa is the reason. Last season is was all new. This season he has clarity, and he and his squad are one season wiser. Everyone will now know the system and I think reinforcements will come. Question marks are two fold. Squad depth for such a punishing fitness regime looks a little bare. Second is Bielsa’s ability to annoy players and blow up with his demands: the recent sale of Pontus Jansson citing a “fall out” is an amber flag which Bielsa has a track record for, despite his brilliance and being lauded as the man who guided and inspired Pep Guardiola. Gut tells me they will do it this time.

Fulham - a new young manager, loaded with cash and a talented squad in his favour. That said, he is unproven in management and has not played at this level. His squad will need time to settle and adapt. With his lack of track record he will need to flash the cash to attract players because his name carries no weight. Teams coming down have a serious problems with adjustment in their first season, history shows. Their cash pile and squad strength will probably mask what I think will prove to be an average manager, from the way he speaks.

Cardiff - I have outlined my view

Stoke - I have outlined my views on Stoke in another thread today. No way, Jose.

Boro - Boro have just sold their best centre half to us. As with Stole and Fulham they have a completely untested young manager who has to rip up Pulis’ team to succeed, which requires time to re-assemble and settle. All that, with the parachute payments now gone. If Pulis, with a settled team, a settled style and with money to spend, could only deliver a near miss, the the odds of a young untested manager having rip up the squad or accept it’s mediocrity under tighter financial pressures doesn’t look good positive to me. Near miss or mid table this time I think

Brentford - They have spent 18m but the the prices look overpaid to me. They have a decent manager and may hit the playoffs but I don’t see a sufficient threat to Cardiff, Leeds nor Fulham

Derby - Cocu is an unknown but his knowledge of the game is good from what I hear in the coaching circles. But without Harry Wilson and Mason Mount who dragged that team close, can they expect to compete with Cardiff, Fulham and Leeds with such a tight-arse budget? I think Cocu might prove to be a quality coach at the wrong club.

Huddersfield - Playoffs or may even miss it. Huddersfield’s success were Wagner’s creation. Question marks over the new coach. They will have a large windfall but Hudson doesn’t strike me as a coach that can inherit Wagner’s squad and style and repeat it. If he changes style he needs to recruit the players to match his style. Time and ability will not be on his side.

Bristol City - an outside bet for playoffs. Their luck with the loan system is unlikely to be able to deliver every season. The squad lacks the depth of quality to sustain a big assault but they may just nudge into the playoffs with some luck, but that is all.

One I will add: I didn’t think they would do it last time but WBA strike me as a team more likely to challenge Cardiff, Leeds and Fulham.