+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you change your boozer because of the Beer?

International

Re: Would you change your boozer because of the Beer?

[QUOTE=Nelsonca61;4990367]Doris works across the road from the Birch, she finishes at 14.00 on Fridays so we go out for a beer early, not fussed with the Birch only go in there to watch some sport when they put the big screen on, with the weather at the moment we like to sit outside the new inn for a few pints then go inside around 18.00 for a bite to eat, it has been lively on occasions but have managed to avoid getting into any bother with anyone although we did move location in the pub last week as it was getting a bit boisterous where we were sat, they have a band on sometimes as well, I think the worst pub I've come across for standing at the bar making getting a beer a challenge is the butchers in Rhiwbina.[/QUOTE]

This is a local pub for local people!!!!

Quite lucky where I am that I have quite a few pubs around should I want to mix it up.
    Coach House, Bluebell, Poachers and the Fox in St Mellon’s and the Legion, Monkstone, Cross and the Rompney in Rumney.
    Like the Coach House the most out of all of them though.

[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4990386]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Doris works across the road from the Birch, she finishes at 14.00 on Fridays so we go out for a beer early, not fussed with the Birch only go in there to watch some sport when they put the big screen on, with the weather at the moment we like to sit outside the new inn for a few pints then go inside around 18.00 for a bite to eat, it has been lively on occasions but have managed to avoid getting into any bother with anyone although we did move location in the pub last week as it was getting a bit boisterous where we were sat, they have a band on sometimes as well, I think the worst pub I've come across for standing at the bar making getting a beer a challenge is the butchers in Rhiwbina.[/QUOTE]

This is a local pub for local people!!!!
    Pub = Public House i.e. for all

International

[QUOTE=Nelsonca61;4990392]
    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

Pub = Public House i.e. for all
    Dont say things like that in Royston Vasey

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Am I missing something yer,what does cream flow differ from in terms of beer ,I like craft ales never tried a creamy one
    The difference is that keg akes are in a pressurised barrel and craft ales are not. The reason like keg is because it is served with a nice creamy head like beer used to be when I grew up drinking Brains and Ely ales. Then came the so called real ale revolution which originated in the S East where they always drank their beer flat and now you can't get a beer that isn't as flat as a witches tit. If looks like dish water

That was because the brought out their 'black' so-cslled equivalent and nobody was buying it. I wonder why?
    It’s rank, can’t do it. I just avoid brains pubs even though they are the 5 closet to my house.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Quite lucky where I am that I have quite a few pubs around should I want to mix it up.
    Coach House, Bluebell, Poachers and the Fox in St Mellon’s and the Legion, Monkstone, Cross and the Rompney in Rumney.
    Like the Coach House the most out of all of them though.
    Gosh my informative drinking pubs , White Hart, Bluebell,Star Fox and of course the Goodies

I've just ordered 2 Crates of mixed Belgian beers from a website called Beerwulf. Free delivery. £85 for 36 strong Belgium triples ranging from 8%-12.5%
    Absolute best beers on the planet

International

I love proper German bier but buying it on line is no good to me because I never drink at home.

Solution: transport grog and yourself to somewhere else (anywhere will suffice), imbibe it there.

Cheers.

The difference is that keg akes are in a pressurised barrel and craft ales are not. The reason like keg is because it is served with a nice creamy head like beer used to be when I grew up drinking Brains and Ely ales. Then came the so called real ale revolution which originated in the S East where they always drank their beer flat and now you can't get a beer that isn't as flat as a witches tit. If looks like dish water
    Cream ales are dispensed with nitrogen, other kegged beers are dispensed with CO2 or a mix of CO2 and nitrogen.
    Craft beers tend to be kegged, the carbonation (bubbles) in the beer are produced by pressurising the keg with CO2 then reducing the pressure to dispense the beer. Real ales are stored in barrels and served with hand pumps or straight from the barrel. No CO2 is added for carbonation or dispensing. However there will be residual yeast in beer when it is barreled and it will continue to condition in the barrel. Main stream beers from the big brewers will be filtered or centrifuged then possibly pasteurised before packaging. This ensures that the beer is bland, predictable and has a long shelf life. Craft beers don't suffer from this treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gosh my informative drinking pubs , White Hart, Bluebell,Star Fox and of course the Goodies
    Please, do tell us what useful information they passed on to you whilst drinking in those pubs?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    My fav is Chimay Bleu from the Belgian collection.

Birra Moretti at the New Inn, very nice [/QUOTE]

If you like Moretti, watch out for Poretti on draught which is a nice malty beer, and Dolomiti (last 0.5l drunk in Rome airport in Feb).

Every night is like a beer festival in my house these next 2 weeks

International

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Cream ales are dispensed with nitrogen, other kegged beers are dispensed with CO2 or a mix of CO2 and nitrogen.
    Craft beers tend to be kegged, the carbonation (bubbles) in the beer are produced by pressurising the keg with CO2 then reducing the pressure to dispense the beer. Real ales are stored in barrels and served with hand pumps or straight from the barrel. No CO2 is added for carbonation or dispensing. However there will be residual yeast in beer when it is barreled and it will continue to condition in the barrel. Main stream beers from the big brewers will be filtered or centrifuged then possibly pasteurised before packaging. This ensures that the beer is bland, predictable and has a long shelf life. Craft beers don't suffer from this treatment.
    Straight out of the manual
    to me there is little to choose between craft and cask. They both end up flat in my glass and the sight puts me off drinking them bfore i taste them.
    Bere used to be pulled up from a tapped and spiled wooden barrel from a cold deep cellar (usually) by beer engine (Force pump) and would be served with a lovely creamy head which would last untily ou finished the pint.
    as I said, that went out the window when the SE of England so called 'real ale' revolution started and the mantra became thas it had to be served flat.
    Why???? What was wrong with it the way itr was. The way Brains and Ely and Hancock's used to serve it?

Straight out of the manual
    to me there is little to choose between craft and cask. They both end up flat in my glass and the sight puts me off drinking them bfore i taste them.
    Bere used to be pulled up from a tapped and spiled wooden barrel from a cold deep cellar (usually) by beer engine (Force pump) and would be served with a lovely creamy head which would last untily ou finished the pint.
    as I said, that went out the window when the SE of England so called 'real ale' revolution started and the mantra became thas it had to be served flat.
    Why???? What was wrong with it the way itr was. The way Brains and Ely and Hancock's used to serve it?
    Not from a manual at all, it is knowledge that I happen to know.
    The beer you describe is real ale and plenty of it has a good head that lasts. I'm drinking a pint of Catch now that has a head that is lasting. Whether beer has a head that lasts depends on the ingredients and how it is story and served, not on whether it is real ale, craft beer or mass produced bland beer

International

Not from a manual at all, it is knowledge that I happen to know.
    The beer you describe is real ale and plenty of it has a good head that lasts. I'm drinking a pint of Catch now that has a head that is lasting. Whether beer has a head that lasts depends on the ingredients and how it is story and served, not on whether it is real ale, craft beer or mass produced bland beer
    So your post was not a quote, just straight out of your head. I commend you sir, you have a brilliant and well organised mind.

I haven't seen a good draught beer in 20 years that had a head like a pint of brains had. I'm not talking about bubbles, I mean a nice creamy head that lasts the life of the pint.
    Like I said, its all as flat as a witches tit. (Did I say that?)
    A sparkler on the pump just makes short lasting bubbles.
    The beer I describe is not 'real 'ale, it is what used to be called 'draught' before all the rubbish started to be touted as the savior of beer. Like I said, I drink smooth because it gives me the creamy head that draught beer used to.

I#d agree with most of that, the big downside for creamflow pumps to me is they are invariably way to cold.

So your post was not a quote, just straight out of your head. I commend you sir, you have a brilliant and well organised mind.

I haven't seen a good draught beer in 20 years that had a head like a pint of brains had. I'm not talking about bubbles, I mean a nice creamy head that lasts the life of the pint.
    Like I said, its all as flat as a witches tit. (Did I say that?)
    A sparkler on the pump just makes short lasting bubbles.
    The beer I describe is not 'real 'ale, it is what used to be called 'draught' before all the rubbish started to be touted as the savior of beer. Like I said, I drink smooth because it gives me the creamy head that draught beer used to.
    Yep, all from my head and not a quote. It's what comes from years of brewing and drinking beer.
    I still say that
    Beer pulled up from a tapped and spiled wooden barrel from a cold deep cellar (usually) by beer engine (Force pump) and served with a lovely creamy head which would last until you finished the pint.
    is real ale....

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I#d agree with most of that, the big downside for creamflow pumps to me is they are invariably way to cold.
    That was the bit I forgot, cask conditioned (real ales) are usually served at about 12 centigrade. Good draught beers from kegs at may be about 6 centigrade while nitrokeg cream flow stuff is so cold that any flavour and aroma is killed off.

Depends if you go there for the beer or for the regulars/friends/ambience.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Depends if you go there for the beer or for the regulars/friends/ambience.
    That matters but if you don't like the beer perhaps you don't stay long enough to notice the ambience or make lasting 'pub' friends

International

Yep, all from my head and not a quote. It's what comes from years of brewing and drinking beer.
    I still say that is real ale....
    Call it what you will what today is called 'real ale' bears no resemblance to the beautiful beer I grew up drinking and it never will. It still flat and very unappetizing to look at, like a glass of dish water.
    But of course that's just my opinion, in now way a 'fact'!