+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you change your boozer because of the Beer?

Re: Would you change your boozer because of the Beer?

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I've just ordered 2 Crates of mixed Belgian beers from a website called Beerwulf. Free delivery. £85 for 36 strong Belgium triples ranging from 8%-12.5%
    Absolute best beers on the planet
    Try Westmalle Bruin and St Bernardus.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I love proper German bier but buying it on line is no good to me because I never drink at home.
    Take it to someone else's house...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Please, do tell us what useful information they passed on to you whilst drinking in those pubs?
    How to lose ones virginity , plan City away raids , figure out how to grab a horse ride on fosters farm , ride motorbikes illegally ,go to Newport Speedway , go shooting where new build St Mellons is now , learn from seasoned drinkers how quick to drink Newcastle Brown / McEwan's Export in the White Hart, Bluebell served Albright eeek.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    So your post was not a quote, just straight out of your head. I commend you sir, you have a brilliant and well organised mind.

I haven't seen a good draught beer in 20 years that had a head like a pint of brains had. I'm not talking about bubbles, I mean a nice creamy head that lasts the life of the pint.
    Like I said, its all as flat as a witches tit. (Did I say that?)
    A sparkler on the pump just makes short lasting bubbles.
    The beer I describe is not 'real 'ale, it is what used to be called 'draught' before all the rubbish started to be touted as the savior of beer. Like I said, I drink smooth because it gives me the creamy head that draught beer used to.
    Creamy head ?? Guinness ??

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Edinger in Head of Steam and other goodies

https://www.theheadofsteam.co.uk/bars/cardiff

International

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Creamy head ?? Guinness ??
    Guinness/ Beer? Stout?? you choose!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Hahaha classic!

Got to be honest though, if I go to a pub that has nothing I like and I'm with mates or go for a meal it's truely awful not having anything you like. I won't hang around in that pub for more than one beer. Yuck

I have never understood the love of a head on a pint.

It usually mean the pub is charging for a half inch of frothy air. I know it's supposed to sit above the pint line on the glass - but how often does that happen?

I would rather a glass of good ale - without a covering of froth - that doesn't look or taste like dishwater, but tastes of its ingredients and craft and care. Real ale! For those up my neck of the woods that is Abbeydale Moonshine, Farmers' Blond and Thornbridge Brother Rabbit, Lord Marples or Jaipur. Proper beer - and no froth!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

It usually mean the pub is charging for a half inch of frothy air. I know it's supposed to sit above the pint line on the glass - but how often does that happen?

I would rather a glass of good ale - without a covering of froth - that doesn't look or taste like dishwater, but tastes of its ingredients and craft and care. Real ale! For those up my neck of the woods that is Abbeydale Moonshine, Farmers' Blond and Thornbridge Brother Rabbit, Lord Marples or Jaipur. Proper beer - and no froth!
    I think it's a lot to do with what you're brought up with. I can remember the feeling of revulsion that came over me as I saw the flat as a witch's tit pint John Thaw was drinking in an early episode of Inspector Morse because it was so unlike anything I had encountered before.

I must have been about thirty at the time and had not moved away from the frothy head I'd always drunk at Brains pubs. Eventually, I did so and discovered that a frothy head was far from being a requirement of what makes a good pint of beer. Nevertheless, I never completely broke away from what I grew up with and if I was to start drinking again, I'd go for something like Brains, Boddingtons, Tetleys, Felinfoel etc.

Also, to answer the question posed in the OP - yes, defintely, I did it several times in my drinking days.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

You've hit on one of my major bugbears, the almost total eradication of oversized lined pint glasses and all to cheat punters of circa 5% of liquid with froth.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    You've hit on one of my major bugbears, the almost total eradication of oversized lined pint glasses and all to cheat punters of circa 5% of liquid with froth.
    In the working mens clubs in the North East all the glasses are over-sized, and the Fed Beer is pumped from a glass 1/2 pint measure on the bar so you can actually see it's a full half pint before it is even poured into your glass. It's not a bad pint either

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think it's a lot to do with what you're brought up with. I can remember the feeling of revulsion that came over me as I saw the flat as a witch's tit pint John Thaw was drinking in an early episode of Inspector Morse because it was so unlike anything I had encountered before.

I must have been about thirty at the time and had not moved away from the frothy head I'd always drunk at Brains pubs. Eventually, I did so and discovered that a frothy head was far from being a requirement of what makes a good pint of beer. Nevertheless, I never completely broke away from what I grew up with and if I was to start drinking again, I'd go for something like Brains, Boddingtons, Tetleys, Felinfoel etc.

Also, to answer the question posed in the OP - yes, defintely, I did it several times in my drinking days.
    That's exactly the point I am trying to make. I first saw beer being served like that in the south of England in 1967, it was the way beer was served down there and when the 'real ale' revolution' came about all the beer was suddenly like it because the so called revolution was S East driven.