But it's evident we 3 or 4 players short of a promotion challenge

Re: It's only a friendly

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    But it's evident we 3 or 4 players short of a promotion challenge
    It's a pointless comparison .

It looks more like the chase to me

Dear God, this thread has me at my Tipping Point!!!!

The only thing clear form this so far is that Madine needs to go. His timing seems off when competing for headers , distinct lack of pace and not suited to the way we play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    The only thing clear form this so far is that Madine needs to go. His timing seems off when competing for headers , distinct lack of pace and not suited to the way we play.
    In fairness it was clear he was carrying a knock very early on. We were speaking about it 5-10 mins before he came off.

I think the Warnock factor will have us competing, but as an actual squad I'm a bit confused as to why exactly people have got so excited? Lost our best player, could still lose our second best player, and we still haven't signed a goalscorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I think the Warnock factor will have us competing, but as an actual squad I'm a bit confused as to why exactly people have got so excited? Lost our best player, could still lose our second best player, and we still haven't signed a goalscorer.
    But we have corners and throw ins .
    Hows Vaulks doing ???.!

Well Bristol City have been relegated today so only two to go.

Better in the 2nd-half.

Quite a feisty friendly. City created most of the best chances and weren’t really troubled.

From what I saw today I'm optimistic.Tomlin's cameo was really good and I think we can have the option we were supposed to have 2 seasons ago when we bought him.Flint was another that impressed me as well.

Curtis nelson looked decent too.

I’ve backed Bacuna since he arrived but he seems a yes behind to me in everything he does.

Thought bogle was decent when he last was around the squad, something went on and he was loaned out. He has something, think he could be one of these players that can do something amazing one moment and completely frustrate the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Thought bogle was decent when he last was around the squad, something went on and he was loaned out. He has something, think he could be one of these players that can do something amazing one moment and completely frustrate the next.
    He's definitely got ability .

Trouble with Tomlin, Bogle, Madine and Ward is that many fans, like myself see them as options to come on from the bench, and not our first choice starting striker.
    Hope we sign someone in the next couple of weeks (I think we will)

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    From what I saw today I'm optimistic.Tomlin's cameo was really good and I think we can have the option we were supposed to have 2 seasons ago when we bought him.Flint was another that impressed me as well.
    Also a good togetherness when things got heated

I thought the cards we have were clearly on display today. We are going to be a very attritional team. Our back four are very physical, well organised and determined. Our midfield combinations have a great work ethic, press well and show determination. Our attacking play is overly reliant on the wingers having confidence and form.

We sadly lack creativity and a forward who has the ability to hold on to the ball and has the pace to make threatening runs behind the opposition back four. Our threat is predictable and heavily reliant on set plays.

Bogle works his socks off and brings a lot of energy, however, he is sadly lacking in technique. Tomlin has all the technique but he will never possess the pace required to threaten defences on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gibson's pencil View Post
    I thought the cards we have were clearly on display today. We are going to be a very attritional team. Our back four are very physical, well organised and determined. Our midfield combinations have a great work ethic, press well and show determination. Our attacking play is overly reliant on the wingers having confidence and form.

We sadly lack creativity and a forward who has the ability to hold on to the ball and has the pace to make threatening runs behind the opposition back four. Our threat is predictable and heavily reliant on set plays.

Bogle works his socks off and brings a lot of energy, however, he is sadly lacking in technique. Tomlin has all the technique but he will never possess the pace required to threaten defences on a consistent basis.
    Hard to argue with any of that.

No mention of NML who’s looking very sharp. I think Reid and Murphy are going to have good seasons too. I actually think we might be a bit too much for teams going forward. Hoping we sign a forward, but one of our current players could easily surprise and be like a new signing (Madine, Bogle, Ward). Tomlin could have a stormer and be the difference in games. I’m optimistic..

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    No mention of NML who’s looking very sharp. I think Reid and Murphy are going to have good seasons too. I actually think we might be a bit too much for teams going forward. Hoping we sign a forward, but one of our current players could easily surprise and be like a new signing (Madine, Bogle, Ward). Tomlin could have a stormer and be the difference in games. I’m optimistic..
    NML is always good from August to October and then from March to May

It’s November to Feb that his form dips.... every year! That’s why we do need another winger.... I don’t see enough consistency with the three at the club at the moment

I think though we are seeing the deficiencies in Warnocks approach that has meant he has never succeeded in the EPL

He can create functional, hard working teams on more or less a limited budget and at championships level he scrapes promotions and is hugely successful at it. The new signings show that he can attract and get the best out of decent ‘bread and butter’ Signings but the more creative players he struggles with

However while some of the positive attributes of a Warnock side are effective in the premier league (hard work and togetherness).. he doesn’t seem to be able to attract or put together a side that can score, keep the ball and change tactics within games (I think these days they call it in-game management).

Last season we often were too conservative when we should have been a bit more ambitious (and the good teams will punish you) and too ambitious when we should have been a tighter and got whacked. The games against Huddersfield showed that and the game against Fulham.. awful approaches to those games.

And I would argue that the better passing and more flair orientated football you need to survive in the premier league needs to be built in the championship side as it’s an approach that can’t be adopted overnight when a team gets promoted

We were a little lucky with Camarasa last year... I would argue that he was an opportunistic signing rather than a calculated and planned one by our transfer committee. And this year you can see the club really struggling to find some attacking players.. signing such players is way outside of Neil’s comfort zone.

His record for signing strikers with us is pretty poor. He won’t sign a striker for the sake of it but he spent 6 million on Madine. He made some comments about Tomlin not being able to cope with the rigours of the championship but he signed him!

So I think it’s been a poor transfer window so far... maybe he will surprise us though!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Like all strikers