+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "I'm not going to sign anybody for the sake of it"

"I'm not going to sign anybody for the sake of it"

Noise coming out of the club again of them having difficulties and the two main targets in that position looking unlikely.

How many times have we heard this hard luck story before? They have had all summer to work on this (and much, much longer prior to it) and it looks as though they could well fail again.

Talks of £12 million quid being available (and you could/should add Zohore money to that) appear to be wide of the mark. Are the club unwilling to spend?

Not getting a striker is one thing. Not getting a striker and letting one of your main lads in that position leave to go to a rival is ridiculously stupid if a replacement isn't found. When Zohore went most thought they at least had somebody who could at least look like replacing him lined up.

Re: "I'm not going to sign anybody for the sake of it"

Wasn’t madine for the sake of it.....what a waste of 6 million.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Wasn’t madine for the sake of it.....what a waste of 6 million.
    It certainly looks that way the more I see of him.

People say the signing got us over the line. I say with no goals and not much else we got over the line despite the mistake to sign Madine.

It is mystifying why we seem to hear this year on year. The club are quick enough to pi$$ off to America but even quicker to trot out the hard luck line a few weeks before the window closes.

Yes, other clubs struggle to get signings in from time to time, but we seem very reactionary. It as though we wait to see who moves and then react off the back of that rather than pushing the issue.
    Oh and throw in 50 links with wingers and centre halves throughout the course of the summer. It is all we seem to be linked with.

For me the recruitment department is by far the weakest part of our football club.

There are more than a few clubs in the same position. A striker who consistently finds the net is rare and expensive. Zohore has never been prolific and went for £8m, WBA just hoping he kicks on and finds a purple patch.

I'm sure by the window we will have someone in, whether that player is the answer to the problem I'm not so sure. Think it will be a collective effort for goals.

Zohore shouldn't have been sold without a replacement though, whilst not prolific he did offer something and without him we are weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

People say the signing got us over the line. I say with no goals and not much else we got over the line despite the mistake to sign Madine.

It is mystifying why we seem to hear this year on year. The club are quick enough to pi$$ off to America but even quicker to trot out the hard luck line a few weeks before the window closes.

Yes, other clubs struggle to get signings in from time to time, but we seem very reactionary. It as though we wait to see who moves and then react off the back of that rather than pushing the issue.
    Oh and throw in 50 links with wingers and centre halves throughout the course of the summer. It is all we seem to be linked with.

For me the recruitment department is by far the weakest part of our football club.
    I hadn’t seen this when I posted my thread.
    I agree, that other than NW’s ‘mates’ some of whom have done a fantastic job for us and some others there has also been a list of disappointments.

Whilst understanding that we have a four man group responsible for signings, it must be the manager who decides on who will fit into the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    There are more than a few clubs in the same position. A striker who consistently finds the net is rare and expensive. Zohore has never been prolific and went for £8m, WBA just hoping he kicks on and finds a purple patch.

I'm sure by the window we will have someone in, whether that player is the answer to the problem I'm not so sure. Think it will be a collective effort for goals.

Zohore shouldn't have been sold without a replacement though, whilst not prolific he did offer something and without him we are weaker.
    You could argue that at least West Brom have acted though.

We on the other hand have managed to weaken the position of striker regardless of what anybody thinks of Zohore. Given a choice of Zohore or no Zohore with no replacement most would keep him if simply to bolster the squad.

I understand it isn't that easy. Their hands are tied etc. The club tell us enough.
    We have needed a striker all summer though and seem no closer to getting one than we did when the summer transfer window started.

How many players of the promotion season were ones that Warnock had brought in? How many youth players have made it into the team since Warnock became manager? One may be more immediately restrictive of our season but it's the other that's the weaker part.

Why sell Zohore before a replacement is in?

Zohore wasn't working out at all for us. I wanted to love the guy but in the end I don't think we could turn down good money for a player who puts in a couple of good performances every 3 months. Paterson did a much better job at leading the line.

It's not impressive that it's left to the last minute

How about that story from Dalman. Learning the lesson on planning ahead and not leaving it late.. More has been mercenaries incoming

I think Ward deserves a run in the team and let's not forget Paterson showed last year that he can play up top if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    How about that story from Dalman. Learning the lesson on planning ahead and not leaving it late.. More has been mercenaries incoming
    I honestly thought that once they went public with their naivety we would see things done quickly. It hasn't really gone that way. Certainly not in many of the areas we needed strengthening barring the deal for Vaulks.

I'm assuming with Warnock being in the US then the majority of work was being done by those left back here.

The other downside of doing deals this late is we are 6 days from the first game at Wigan. How long does it take a player to come in, meet everybody, settle down, move house, learn a new playing style and really hit their full potential as a player?

I am fairly confident going in to the season and didn't want to be negative so close to the season but I fully expected us to learn from past lessons and have the midfield sorted well before now and a striker to supplement what we had.

As it is we are a target man (in the loosest sense of the word as the lad couldn't/wouldn't head the ball) down on what we started the summer with. It was quite difficult to do but City have succeeded at this time to weaken our already lackluster striking options.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Why sell Zohore before a replacement is in?
    If we hadn't sold him when we did, WBA and the 8 million quid would most likely have gone elsewhere.

We needed a striker before we sold Zohore imo

I think the choice of keeping Warnock has impacted signings, due to the likelihood that this will be his last campaign. Even if lessons have been learned from the past transfer windows where key positions were either not addressed or were plugged up at the 11th hour. Gaining interest from players, who will be aware that the manager trying to sign them might not necessarily be there come the end of the season must have undoubtedly had an impact on recruitment.

I firmly believe Cardiff's only hopes of permanent signings is with players from the lower leagues, there is some quality in League One etc... So won't blame them. We're all happy with NML after all. But as for acquiring competitive talent from overseas or within the Championship or Premier League, I think Cardiff are consigned to hoping they get lucky in the loan market, which considering the money that should be available to the club to recruit in key areas, and try to attract some proven talent, is pretty deflating.

Noise coming out of the club again of them having difficulties and the two main targets in that position looking unlikely.

How many times have we heard this hard luck story before? They have had all summer to work on this (and much, much longer prior to it) and it looks as though they could well fail again.

Talks of £12 million quid being available (and you could/should add Zohore money to that) appear to be wide of the mark. Are the club unwilling to spend?

Not getting a striker is one thing. Not getting a striker and letting one of your main lads in that position leave to go to a rival is ridiculously stupid if a replacement isn't found. When Zohore went most thought they at least had somebody who could at least look like replacing him lined up.
    Totally agree with this post - and have been saying the same for months.

You'd have thought the club would have reacted positively to the fantastic ST sales. But Tan seems to believe Warnock can magic a top striker for peanuts, based on what's happened over the last two years. I don't mind Ward, but he and Madine seem to be perpetually injured.

I suspect that Sir Neil is playing it close to his chest, and that there'll be one or two big signings

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Totally agree with this post - and have been saying the same for months.

You'd have thought the club would have reacted positively to the fantastic ST sales. But Tan seems to believe Warnock can magic a top striker for peanuts, based on what's happened over the last two years. I don't mind Ward, but he and Madine seem to be perpetually injured.
    Patterson will be our Main striker.. But you are right. Once again momentum was lost in the pudding by the club.. it’s embarrassing. By the statements of our bankman Dalmatia, targets should be all but done in May/June. I’m at the brink of #bringbackslade

I know we don’t need a midfield playing hoofball, but come on!

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I suspect that Sir Neil is playing it close to his chest, and that there'll be one or two big signings
    You do, do you 🤔😅

Patterson will be our Main striker.. But you are right. Once again momentum was lost in the pudding by the club.. it’s embarrassing. By the statements of our bankman Dalmatia, targets should be all but done in May/June.
    And lets not forget Paterson was injured when playing international football as Scotland's centre forward.
    I watched this game and he was trying sooo hard - and it was that that did for him. A cross came in behind him; he contorted his body to get his head onto it (and fair play, it was on target) but hurt himself as he landed awkwardly.

I am impressed by his play generally - he plays a pass and I often wonder 'how did he see that!'. But how will he be when he returns from injury? I'd also love to know how he suffered that first knee damage. Was that from trying too hard too?

I'm a big fan - and wasn't he our top goal scorer last time we were in the Championship? I read he was in the top ten fastest men in the Premiership too! But he needs to work long and hard on his shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    And lets not forget Paterson was injured when playing international football as Scotland's centre forward.
    I watched this game and he was trying sooo hard - and it was that that did for him. A cross came in behind him; he contorted his body to get his head onto it (and fair play, it was on target) but hurt himself as he landed awkwardly.

I am impressed by his play generally - he plays a pass and I often wonder 'how did he see that!'. But how will he be when he returns from injury? I'd also love to know how he suffered that first knee damage. Was that from trying too hard too?

I'm a big fan - and wasn't he our top goal scorer last time we were in the Championship? I read he was in the top ten fastest men in the Premiership too! But he needs to work long and hard on his shooting.
    I don’t agree with you. But even so, it would mean a certain style of play. Long balls and long balls. And again there would be a chain reaction. Murphy and that little fella from Bristol is surplus yet again.
    No shape, no color. No style and no coherence in this squad. #Warnockout. And take Tan with you!

I don’t agree with you. But even so, it would mean a certain style of play. Long balls and long balls. And again there would be a chain reaction. Murphy and that little fella from Bristol is surplus yet again.
    No shape, no color. No style and no coherence in this squad. #Warnockout. And take Tan with you!

I don’t agree with you.
    Mortified here!