+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "We're going to have a right go at it this season".............

"We're going to have a right go at it this season".............

so said either Ken Choo or Mehmet Dalman a few weeks ago. Well, with our manager giving Aston Villa encouragement to come in for Neil Etheridge and talking about how Lee Tomlin is now fit enough for other clubs to consider signing him

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...ridge-16658235

to go with what he said about our chances of getting his two main targets after yesterday's match, you could be forgiven for thinking that the opposite is occurring - currently, we're showing a profit on our spending on transfer fees and our wage bill has to be considerably lower than last season to go along with all of that Premier League money.

Re: "We're going to have a right go at it this season".............

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    so said either Ken Choo or Mehmet Dalman a few weeks ago. Well, with our manager giving Aston Villa encouragement to come in for Neil Etheridge and talking about how Lee Tomlin is now fit enough for other clubs to consider signing him

to go with what he said about our chances of getting his two main targets after yesterday's match, you could be forgiven for thinking that the opposite is occurring - currently, we're showing a profit on our spending on transfer fees and our wage bill has to be considerably lower than last season to go along with all of that Premier League money.
    Sounds good to me. Hopefully we can have a crack at being competitive in the championship and not lose 12-15 mil a year in the process.

Tomlin may be considered too expensive to be used as a Plan B but I can't see why Etheridge is still being touted. Presumably it's because out goalkeeper room has a lot of money being spent on wages, at least in comparison to others in the division, but if we were going to sell then we would have done it earlier on in the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Sounds good to me. Hopefully we can have a crack at being competitive in the championship and not lose 12-15 mil a year in the process.
    Selling Etheridge would see the spine of last season's team gone with the exception of Morrison/Bamba and with only Day, Flint and Vaulks brought in to address the situation - without at least one good quality midfielder and striker coming in, we'd be in a position where we be competive in the Championship, but not at the top of the table.

We won't be signing Hugill because he has just gone on loan to QPR. He would have been a good option.

Charlie Austin would be my preference for striker.

I get the feeling that there isn't a player that we wouldn't sell for the 'right offer' and it wouldn't surprise me if there are one or two big departures within the the next ten days. If we sign Whyte, I sense that he's a replacement for someone, possibly Murphy. Our transfer policy throws up a lot of questions about the club's true ambitions this season.

Last season we were made to believe that getting someone half decent to sign for a club odds-on to be relegated was against us. Now it seems it's also difficult when you're a pre-season favourite for promotion. I posted a couple of weeks ago that the club's management is probably thinking that the basics of a squad that missed out on Prem. league survival by a couple of points is surely going to find a division lower easy-peasy.

Without Warnock in charge I'd feel pretty confident that the current squad would find it tough to finish top 10..

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    I get the feeling that there isn't a player that we wouldn't sell for the 'right offer' and it wouldn't surprise me if there are one or two big departures within the the next ten days. If we sign Whyte, I sense that he's a replacement for someone, possibly Murphy. Our transfer policy throws up a lot of questions about the club's true ambitions this season.
    If we sign Whyte I hope he's a replacement for Kadeem Harris.

Yes this also crossed my mind. Why the £eck would we want 4 wingers !

It's just such a tough league the Championship to be able to use Lee (Tomlin)in respect of the teams we're playing against. Says Warnock, so why did he sign him in the first place?

To me he's not sending out the right signals to the players or the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Woohooo, we finished 15th and made a profit. Get real. Another crap transfer window.

Every Footballer in the world is for Sale at the right price! That’s why the best player in the world was transferred to Juventus last season?

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Woohooo, we finished 15th and made a profit. Get real. Another crap transfer window.
    People were begging for that when Tan took over, people were begging for that when Neil took over with us likely to be playing our football in league one.

The Championship is littered with clubs who are seriously on the edge, I think our current squad/manager will have us up there and in with a shout of promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey1966 View Post
    Yes this also crossed my mind. Why the £eck would we want 4 wingers !
    Because NW's preferred formation includes two wingers, so we need at least four of them in the squad.

Hopefully we can get a couple of players in this week. Last year I think we got Arter and Camarassa in the week before the season kicked off. It is a bit worrying that we signed 3 players very early in Vaulks, Day and Nelson. Day should be 3rd choice 'keeper, Nelson 4th choice centre back, and Vaulks a starter. But we have lost Niasse, Arter, Camarasa, Gunnarsson, Harris, Zohore and Manga (and Stuart O'Keefe, not to mention the McKay twins!). That's a lot out and only three in.

All in all he was just answering questions from the media - as he always does - honestly. People may not like it but that's where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    If we sign Whyte I hope he's a replacement for Kadeem Harris.
    We still haven't replaced him, so hopefully Whyte is that man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    All in all he was just answering questions from the media - as he always does - honestly. People may not like it but that's where we are.
    It also should be taken with a pinch of salt. He said similar things every season and one or two always come in.

Plenty of teams wanting to have a right go at tit this season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Because NW's preferred formation includes two wingers, so we need at least four of them in the squad.
    Exactly. Can't believe anyone needs this explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Plenty of teams wanting to have a right go at tit this season.
    What’s Tony Jefferies done now?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    We won't be signing Hugill because he has just gone on loan to QPR. He would have been a good option.

Charlie Austin would be my preference for striker.
    Charlie Austin won't drop down to the Championship.

Also, I think I'd prefer a striker who didn't have such a taste for the nightlife and nose candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We still haven't replaced him, so hopefully Whyte is that man.
    Well if we're prepared to spend £2 million to replace someone who started just 3 league games for us last season (and less than 30 in over 7 years) that makes our transfer policy even more confusing.

Anybody that seen Tomlin on Saturday would hope he stays and is given a chance. Made a huge difference and the fans still love him. He offers something no other City player can.