+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Spare A Thought For Bury FC

Spare A Thought For Bury FC

Last season Bury got promoted to League 1 but were racked with debts and now they have come back to bite them big time. Their first two games of the new season have been suspended. Bury seem to be a club that never seem to do well living in the shadows of the Manchester clubs sadly. They have been hit with winding up orders in the past but never had games suspended due to them not meeting the FA's financial viabilities. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for Bury - been up there loads of times and never had as good a laugh as when the mascots started fighting

Link to article in torygraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ted-suspended/

Re: Spare A Thought For Bury FC

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Last season Bury got promoted to League 1 but were racked with debts and now they have come back to bite them big time. Their first two games of the new season have been suspended. Bury seem to be a club that never seem to do well living in the shadows of the Manchester clubs sadly. They have been hit with winding up orders in the past but never had games suspended due to them not meeting the FA's financial viabilities. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for Bury - been up there loads of times and never had as good a laugh as when the mascots started fighting

Bury's owner bought them for £1, the EFL performed 0 checks on him and let him run riot. He and the EFL are an absolute disgrace.

Have a soft spot of Bury too, ever since we got promoted in out last away game up at Gigg Lane in 75/76 season. A 1-0 win, if memory serves me well. Can't remember who scored that night, it was definitely mid-week. Who else was here that night?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Have a soft spot of Bury too, ever since we got promoted in out last away game up at Gigg Lane in 75/76 season. A 1-0 win, if memory serves me well. Can't remember who scored that night, it was definitely mid-week. Who else was here that night?
    Alston👍

I can remember giving a donation to Bury about fifteen years ago when they were in serious trouble and am also old enough to remember when they were regular visitors to Ninian Park in the Second Division in the 60s - must say, this sounds serious for them and I can only echo what has been said about the EFL's attitude towards their takeover.

Robbie the Bobbie v Bartley Bluebird, the best entertainment I ever saw there. Didn't we lose about 4-0 that night? I remember it was pi55ing down with rain. Strangest bit was drinking in their supporters bar and the comedian there was a big fan - he came from Caernarfon!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Alston��
    Should've guessed it would have been either Alston or Tony Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Yeah I was there that night, great memories including Alstons goal and about 6000 Cardiff fans inside the ground, also remember a load of Mancs. City/Utd ? gathering outside Gigg Lane to give us a warm Northern welcome.

Andy Holt (chairman of Accringon Stanley) had a twitter thread about certain clubs spending well beyond their means, driving the market into further levels of insanity and then other clubs being pressured to follow suit - at least that's my recollection of it. I can't remember if Bury's spending was used in the thread as an example but if they have been promoted with dodgy spending then.... spare a thought for fans of Bury FC but the owner, the club and the league system that supports reckless owners shouldn't have sympathy.

I remember the Bury game 75 76 no commentaries back then me my dad and brother listening to Radio Wales for any kind of updates.
    I remember after the 10 o clock news Radio Wales confirmed we had won 1 nil and were promoted.
    I also remember the last away game of 89 90 at Gigg lane I was there for that and our relegation was confirmed that day.