+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Greg Cunningham - Championship interest?

Greg Cunningham - Championship interest?

This piece claiming a number of Championship clubs interested in signing Greg Cunningham:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/ca...onship-rivals/

There doesn't seem to be much substance to this, and is probably an agent fuelled filler story.

However, Cunningham has hardly had a look in since arriving - despite his record as a top Championship player, a long term Warnock target, a former captain, and a player who can cover LB, LWB, CB and probably a few other positions too.

I can't see the club letting him go - there is no other realistic cover for Joe Bennett, and he seems to be a positive influence in the squad.

Re: Greg Cunningham - Championship interest?

Wales Online now running with it:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rdiff-16668539

If he is going to stay he needs some time on the pitch - or I can understand him wanting away.

(Sorry Cleve - just saw your thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

If he is going to stay he needs some time on the pitch - or I can understand him wanting away.

No probs. Done similar in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Unfortunately Walesonline again getting their info. from Football Blogs on NewsNow. One man's blog becomes another mans fact in short time now.

I think the lad at least deserves a bloody run in the team, he was a decent player at this level

In this day and age a player is judged on performance, quite often one game can seal his fate one way or another.

Unfortunately for Cunningham, I remember the Brighton game at home (our 1-2 loss which, although early in the season, went a long way to sealing our fate) where he let his man bully his way at the far post to score.

It was a fundamental mistake which I'm afraid will not easily be erased from memory.

We do seem to buy players then not use them. He's a good player and I can understand why he'd like to get playing time so although he'd be good to have in the event of Bennet being injured you can't blame him for wanting more than the bench every week.
    He's not as good as Bennet by a long way, but he's a lot better than most Championship full backs so he shouldn't be cheap

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think the lad at least deserves a bloody run in the team, he was a decent player at this level
    No he doesn't Bennetts far better.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    In this day and age a player is judged on performance, quite often one game can seal his fate one way or another.

Unfortunately for Cunningham, I remember the Brighton game at home (our 1-2 loss which, although early in the season, went a long way to sealing our fate) where he let his man bully his way at the far post to score.

It was a fundamental mistake which I'm afraid will not easily be erased from memory.
    We beat Brighton with Bamba's late goal. Was it the Burnley game?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

That was Burnley. We beat Brighton 2-1. A fundamental mistake Sorry

But yes, that was a bad mistake and he got caught underneath it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No he doesn't Bennetts far better.
    This

Cunningham is a proven good quality Championship defender who should be playing first team football at this level - the same applies to Joe Bennett, so, unless you were thinking of playing Bennett further forward, there seems little point in having both of them here.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    This
    This again. Maybe a bits unfair but I liken Cunningham to when we signed Bradford, he was raved about as one of the best full backs in the championship and I thought he would be an excellent signing but like Cunningham , in the few appearances I've seen him, he just simply didn't perform in a Cardiff shirt. Maybe a bit harsh on Cunningham who hasn't really had a run in the side but he's not as good as Bennett who has proved more than useful at left back for us, so doesn't seem much point in giving him a run in the side, unless Bennett gets injured

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    This again. Maybe a bits unfair but I liken Cunningham to when we signed Bradford, he was raved about as one of the best full backs in the championship and I thought he would be an excellent signing but like Cunningham , in the few appearances I've seen him, he just simply didn't perform in a Cardiff shirt. Maybe a bit harsh on Cunningham who hasn't really had a run in the side but he's not as good as Bennett who has proved more than useful at left back for us, so doesn't seem much point in giving him a run in the side, unless Bennett gets injured
    Bradford? You mean Brayford I believe however I appreciate you're losing your marbles

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That was Burnley. We beat Brighton 2-1. A fundamental mistake Sorry

But yes, that was a bad mistake and he got caught underneath it.
    Predictive text anyone?