+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gavin Whyte - signs a four year deal at Cardiff City

Gavin Whyte - signs a four year deal at Cardiff City

Just been announced by clubs social media.

Re: Gavin Whyte

Great news

Great stuff! I'm excited about him.

Oxford have made no mention of their record transfer fee being broken, so we can guess it is less than the £3m Leeds paid for Kemar Roofe so the £2m is probably accurate.

Re: Gavin Whyte - signs a four year deal at Cardiff City

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...the-bluebirds/

Cardiff City Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Northern Irish winger, Gavin Whyte, subject to international clearance.

The 23-year-old joins the Bluebirds from Oxford United for an undisclosed fee, signing a four-year contract which will run until the summer of 2023.

A Northern Ireland international, Gavin scored for his country with his very first touch as he made his debut against Israel in September 2018.

He made a total of 36 league appearances during his time with the U’s, scoring seven goals.

whyte.jpg

After signing his City contract, Gavin spoke exclusively to Cardiff City TV.

"I'm delighted," he said. "When I first heard about the move, I couldn't wait to come here.

"I give 100% - I'm a hard worker, I'm positive, I like to go forward and take players on...

"Now I can't wait to get the kit on, play as many games as I can and help this great Club to be where they need to be."

Neil Warnock also spoke to cardiffcityfc.co.uk, adding: "I watched a lot of Gavin while we were scouting Curtis Nelson.

"He just excited me so much. He's full of enthusiasm and is just the type of player that we were looking for.

"I think he'll be a fans' favourite for years to come."

jeepers all of a sudden its raining strikers ,where's the weather girls when you need them

Quote Originally Posted by Bothroyd's Diving Coach View Post
    Just been announced by clubs social media.
    Congratulations on your 5th post in 9 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Congratulations on your 5th post in 9 yrs
    I have been an admirer and reader of this board for many years, after seeing a lot of O/T threads I thought it wouldn't hurt to start contributing some football related chat, but I know that's wishful thinking

Wales Online (or a sister site) are saying that Oxford are hoping to replace Gavin Whyte with Ben Woodburn!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...xford-16669328

If true, Woodburn has gone from 'The Next Big Thing' to scratching around for playing time in League One in about 2 years. He didn't have a successful loan time at Sheffield United last season, but I thought he would have been with a Championship club again (maybe on a permanent transfer) this season.

At 23 he's going to be far too young for our Young Player of the Year Award.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    jeepers all of a sudden its raining strikers ,where's the weather girls when you need them
    He's not a striker is he ?
    I thought he was a winger who can also play in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wales Online (or a sister site) are saying that Oxford are hoping to replace Gavin Whyte with Ben Woodburn!

If true, Woodburn has gone from 'The Next Big Thing' to scratching around for playing time in League One in about 2 years. He didn't have a successful loan time at Sheffield United last season, but I thought he would have been with a Championship club again (maybe on a permanent transfer) this season.
    Woodburn probably needs to feel a million dollars again, and Oxford actually try and play football. After the Sheff Utd debacle, it would be good to see him excel somewhere and boy does he need it!

Likes a bit of indecent exposure apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Whyte

He's only 19, Harry Wilson failed on loan at Crewe a couple of years ago and Dan James was sent back to Swansea from Shrewsbury because he wasn't good enough but look where they are now

He has looked the real deal for Wales, great on FIFA aswell

"I give 100% - I'm a hard worker " , he will do well with us then

Looks a decent signing for a reasonable fee who can challenge for a starting place.

Hoilett - 29 years old
    Mendez-Laing - 27 years old
    Murphy - 24 years old
    Whyte - 23 years old.

This is what I'd ideally like Warnock to be doing throughout the team: it's a mixture of experience and exciting youth prospects that can challenge for promotion this year and either survival next year or promotion again. While I am happy to wait for the right deals and not spend money if they are not there, I don't think there is the same balance with the players brought in at CB so still think he could be/should be doing more for us in the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bothroyd's Diving Coach View Post
    I have been an admirer and reader of this board for many years, after seeing a lot of O/T threads I thought it wouldn't hurt to start contributing some football related chat, but I know that's wishful thinking
    You must have very low standards. Welcome to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Likes a bit of indecent exposure apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Whyte
    Warnock was attracted to his long balls...

A winger. Just what we needed..
    What he said. «Im not going to sign players just for the sake of it” 🙄🙈

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    "I give 100% - I'm a hard worker " , he will do well with us then
    But 100% is pretty modest by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    A winger. Just what we needed..
    What he said. «Im not going to sign players just for the sake of it” 🙄🙈
    He's replacing Kadeem Harris. We need at least 4 wingers in the squad to play Warnock's system.