+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: E mails - help!

E mails - help!

Last week I bought a new laptop to replace my old PC which packed up completely a fortnight ago. This meant that I also had to buy a version of Microsoft Office and I opted for Office 2016. At the same time, I created a new Outlook e-mail address, but wanted to keep on using the Hotmail address I'd had for years,which was in everyone's address book, as my default.

I've installed my Hotmail account on the version of Outlook on my Laptop, but have never been able to send or receive messages with it - I've deleted and reinstalled it numerous times, but it just doesn't work.

Fortunately, the Mail app on the tool bar was configured to my Hotmail account for some reason and so, although it wasn't perfect by any means, I was able to send and receive messages via that.

However, when I switched on my laptop this morning, I was greeted by a message saying the account settings for my Hotmail account were "out of date" and, initially, I was unable to send or receive messages in Mail as well as Outlook. A change of password for my Hotmail account has improved things to the extent that I'm now receiving messages in Mail, but, whenever I try to send anything, I either get a message saying they were unable to send it and have put the message in drafts or it disappears into the ether never to be seen again!

Online Help with Outlook is next to useless, so can anyone come up with any suggestions as to what's going on? I can start using the new Outlook address, but, for understandable reasons, I'm very reluctant to do that.

Re: E mails - help!

Probably work better with Firefox.
    - I'm assuming you're probably using IE, and if you are and want to continue doing so clear the browsing cache and enable cookies.

If you install Firefox also install latest adobe flash and make Firefox your default browser .
    You'd be better off using a Mac, but CCFC TV don't seem to like working on them

If you continue to get trouble I suggest you sign up to this board here and post on the Computer section:

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk//

Lots of very helpful people who will help solve the problem you have with your e mails

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Last week I bought a new laptop to replace my old PC which packed up completely a fortnight ago. This meant that I also had to buy a version of Microsoft Office and I opted for Office 2016. At the same time, I created a new Outlook e-mail address, but wanted to keep on using the Hotmail address I'd had for years,which was in everyone's address book, as my default.

I've installed my Hotmail account on the version of Outlook on my Laptop, but have never been able to send or receive messages with it - I've deleted and reinstalled it numerous times, but it just doesn't work.

Fortunately, the Mail app on the tool bar was configured to my Hotmail account for some reason and so, although it wasn't perfect by any means, I was able to send and receive messages via that.

However, when I switched on my laptop this morning, I was greeted by a message saying the account settings for my Hotmail account were "out of date" and, initially, I was unable to send or receive messages in Mail as well as Outlook. A change of password for my Hotmail account has improved things to the extent that I'm now receiving messages in Mail, but, whenever I try to send anything, I either get a message saying they were unable to send it and have put the message in drafts or it disappears into the ether never to be seen again!

Online Help with Outlook is next to useless, so can anyone come up with any suggestions as to what's going on? I can start using the new Outlook address, but, for understandable reasons, I'm very reluctant to do that.
    Can you log in to outlook.com on the internet using your old email address and password and see all your mail, Inbox, sent etc?

By doing so you bypass the desktop version of Outlook 2016 and the Mail app (which is very basic)

Let me know, if you can do that and use that website to send / receive new mail

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Can you log in to outlook.com on the internet using your old email address and password and see all your mail, Inbox, sent etc?

By doing so you bypass the desktop version of Outlook 2016 and the Mail app (which is very basic)

Let me know, if you can do that and use that website to send / receive new mail
    First of all, my thanks to every one who has replied - I'll look into your suggestions later today if I don't get anywhere with what Michael says.

Michael, whenever I go to Outlook, it automatically logs me in under the outlook.com address. I just tried to add my Hotmail address as a Microsoft account alias and it's saying I can't do that because it's part of a reserved domain.

First of all, my thanks to every one who has replied - I'll look into your suggestions later today if I don't get anywhere with what Michael says.

Michael, whenever I go to Outlook, it automatically logs me in under the outlook.com address. I just tried to add my Hotmail address as a Microsoft account alias and it's saying I can't do that because it's part of a reserved domain.
    One more thing, I've been exploring the settings on Mail and found that my password is shown as having sixteen characters, which is a bit odd as yesterday I changed it from fifteen (the most I've ever had) to one with twelve! I tried changing the password to what it currently is, but it won't have it and is still showing sixteen.

Send me a PM with your phone no. when you are in front of your PC later. I'll sort a solution for you

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Send me a PM with your phone no. when you are in front of your PC later. I'll sort a solution for you
    Thanks very much Michael for sorting my problems out and a thank you again to those who also offer their help.