+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midfield

Re: Midfield

Looking at the players he's bought, I tend to think that he's going to do something a bit different in midfield this time.

Personally I'd have hoped for more continuity but equally I trust the manager to know what will work.

It's true to say that we've got more strength in depth and individual flair than we've had for a very long time and the potential is there for a spectacular assault upon the championship , but the question is whether the component parts will work together in the desired way and how long they'll take to get together as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think a 'midfield general' is what I'm talking about but more of a pivot who can see the game and and get us on the front foot.

There are players like this in every academy in the country at the moment. He doesn't really need to be experienced with the amount of captains in our team.

I do appreciate we like to get the ball quickly though and it's not Warnock's way, however I do think this would be invaluable to us.

Maybe Vaulks can play this role as I've seen so little of him I'm not gonna comment on his attributes but Paterson is a definite no no.
    Think Boulger is a possibility for the sort of player you describe and from last season's Academy side, Sam Bowen maybe and Keenan Patten in particular.

Today really brought this home. Hope Vaulks isn’t another one of those signings that Neil wanted and then immediately seems to regret it. He’s got previous.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Today really brought this home. Hope Vaulks isn’t another one of those signings that Neil wanted and then immediately seems to regret it. He’s got previous.
    Although he didn't mention the word itself, I've heard Neil Warnock imply on three separate occasions that he felt Will Vaulks was intimidated when he arrived at the club. He qualified that in the latter two times by adding that he had got over it now, but it might go some way towards explaining his strange omission from the team for the Nice game and again yesterday - the stats for the whole of last season suggest Vaulks had no need to feel overawed in his new surroundings and, on that evidence, we need him in the side sooner rather than later.

Perhaps yesterday will persuade our manager to look for another midfielder before Thursday, but, as I hinted at earlier in this thread, I can't help thinking that any newcomer would not be the sort of player most supporters would prefer to see - I reckon it would be more of the same because Neil Warnock isn't going to change his thinking about that area of the pitch in the last season of a 40 year managerial career.

Don't disagree with you about Warnock's approach to the midfield, Bob, but why on earth did he bring Tomlin into side then. Wasn't his decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Don't disagree with you about Warnock's approach to the midfield, Bob, but why on earth did he bring Tomlin into side then. Wasn't his decision?
    With hindsight, I would say that there was an element of putting him in the shop window to Tomlin's substitute appearance against Nice.

One of my mates thought crusty the pie could be signed up to block the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Although he didn't mention the word itself, I've heard Neil Warnock imply on three separate occasions that he felt Will Vaulks was intimidated when he arrived at the club. He qualified that in the latter two times by adding that he had got over it now, but it might go some way towards explaining his strange omission from the team for the Nice game and again yesterday - the stats for the whole of last season suggest Vaulks had no need to feel overawed in his new surroundings and, on that evidence, we need him in the side sooner rather than later.

Perhaps yesterday will persuade our manager to look for another midfielder before Thursday, but, as I hinted at earlier in this thread, I can't help thinking that any newcomer would not be the sort of player most supporters would prefer to see - I reckon it would be more of the same because Neil Warnock isn't going to change his thinking about that area of the pitch in the last season of a 40 year managerial career.
    He's an international though, played at CCS before, played against the World Cup finalists away in an important game. Seems weird to be intimidated by Cardiff City

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's an international though, played at CCS before, played against the World Cup finalists away in an important game. Seems weird to be intimidated by Cardiff City
    It was the DW stadium at a club supported to similar levels as Rotherham. I call bullshit

Warnock in not picking a player he signed shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    All I'm doing is reporting what our manager said - it surprised me as well.

Perhaps he was intimidated by Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'd classify Arter as a jack of all trades as well. You could never accuse him of being a ball playing central midfielder. I know they're few & far between but give me a Camarasa over Arter anytime, or Whittingham, McPhail, Koumas even Grujic. We have pace & talent going forward but need to get the ball to them in the right areas (in front of them!)
    Great post, i agree entirely about Arter. He isn't the kind of player we need. He doesn't have the ability to put his foot on the ball or read the game very well, that's why he has to run the equivalent of a marathon every game in order to make up for his short comings. We need some composure in there, a player with a footballing brain and asscertiveness, alongside a couple of players who have the ability to win the ball back and position themselves alot better than our midfield did last season. It's a big problem, especially as we've lost Manga and Sol who for all of their faults were very good at recovery defending and covering, In Flint and Morrisson we lack pace and mobility, leaving those two exposed is going to cause big problems. The other issue is supply to the front players and linking up play, we just don't have a player who can do that. Warnock doesn't seem to know what he wants or how to implement it, i really think that he decides on a player early, he doesn't mind if they're not the best or technically inferior, the most important aspect for him is whether he can trust them. In Reid, Tomlin and The Fullback from Preston, i don't think he does trust them, we'll find out if he feels the same about Smithies rather soon as well.