+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Malcolm Nash

RIP Malcolm Nash

The ex Glamorgan left arm bowler has died today.

Most famous world wide of course for being hit for 6 sixes by Garfield Sobers.

And I can honestly say I was there.

Rest in Peace Malcolm

Re: RIP Malcolm Nash

Sad news. A very fine player for Glamorgan. RIP Malcolm

Member of my favourite Glamorgan team including the Jones brothers, Fredericks, Majid Khan, Tony Lewis, Walker, Cordle, Shepherd. The 6x6 belied what a skilled bowler, slow and medium pace, he was particularly in one day cricket and what a great and long career he had. RIP Malcolm!

RIP to a hero of my schooldays, loved following Glamorgan then, watched them a lot more than I do now sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    RIP to a hero of my schooldays, loved following Glamorgan then, watched them a lot more than I do now sadly.
    RIP Malcolm Nash, great memories of 1969 in particular, I think I was there every match day that summer.

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/219900/219959.jpg

RIP. A true legend of Welsh cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    RIP Malcolm Nash, great memories of 1969 in particular, I think I was there every match day that summer.

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/219900/219959.jpg
    What a season that was 👍

In the right conditions Nash could be a devastating bowler as he'd nip his left arm medium fast bowling back into right handed batsmen and claim lbws galore. He reduced the first choice test batting line up to something like 20-4 in an England v The Rest test trial at Hove, but his lack of pace would have made him cannon fodder in all but the most favourable conditions at test level.

Although his mentality as a batsman was something akin to a lower order slogger, he was a better player than that and was a useful option to have at about number eight to either turn the screw on opponents or lead a counter attack.

Although he took his unwanted place in the record books with good grace, it does probably mean that he is not remembered as the fine cricketer that he was - he was experimenting with spin bowling that day Gary Sobers went beserk at St. Helens and could have reverted to his more favoured style if he had been bothered about going for thirty six runs in the over.

RIP

Gosh a legend gone .

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Member of my favourite Glamorgan team including the Jones brothers, Fredericks, Majid Khan, Tony Lewis, Walker, Cordle, Shepherd. The 6x6 belied what a skilled bowler, slow and medium pace, he was particularly in one day cricket and what a great and long career he had. RIP Malcolm!
    Do agree what a side

Just like others have said he was a boyhood hero of mine opening the bowling for Glamorgan. When he had Mike Brearley first ball in the Gillette Cup final in 1977 I thought Glamorgan were about to win their first one day trophy. RIP Malcolm.

I remember getting his autograph at the Cheltenham Festival when Glammy played Glos. It must have been around 1976/77 time. Very sad to hear of his passing.