+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashes First Test

Ashes First Test

All happening so far!

Warner nicked off, England didn't review. England reviewed (awfully) for LBW and then Warner given LBW, didn't review and going down leg. Broad and Jimmy bowling superbly.

Re: Ashes First Test

Aussie's 129/8

The Umpires are having an absolute shocker

The decision to leave out a genuine pace bowler is going to be costly.

Same old England 80mph ish line and length.

210 / 9

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The decision to leave out a genuine pace bowler is going to be costly.

Same old England 80mph ish line and length.
    I've not watched much of it, but I'm assuming that the risky decision to include Anderson without him having played a game to prove his fitness has blown up in the selector's faces?

248-9 now which is not a bad outcome when you consider that Australia opted to bat, but all of the momentum is with them now and I have very little faith in this England batting line up.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've not watched much of it, but I'm assuming that the risky decision to include Anderson without him having played a game to prove his fitness has blown up in the selector's faces?

248-9 now which is not a bad outcome when you consider that Australia opted to bat, but all of the momentum is with them now and I have very little faith in this England batting line up.
    To be fair Broad has been excellent and Woakes has done well. But 122 for 8 a genuine quick would surely have helped finish it off

If Archer isnt ready Stone should have been in.

Saying that questions must be asked when Andersons calf has gone again after 4 overs.

This female commentator is terrible as well.

To be fair Broad has been excellent and Woakes has done well. But 122 for 8 a genuine quick would surely have helped finish it off

Saying that questions must be asked when Andersons calf has gone again after 4 overs.

Why do we have to have a women representative on these sports shows ,is it just political correctness , or genuine need?

They were 122-8. The only question is why Anderson played when he wasn't fit. Our bowling attack was more than adequate but our best bowler wasn't fit. Stone should have played but only because Jimmy was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Why do we have to have a women representative on these sports shows ,is it just political correctness , or genuine need?
    I generally listen to TMS i find Alison Mitchell very knowledgeable play by play commentator, and certainly has a good sports background.

I also quite like the input from Ebony Rainford-Brent and Isha Guha both as former professional cricketers to add a different view on the game.

It a long day listening to cricket and the different voices and hearing something different adds something for me, and there is still time to hear off the former male pro in what is a long day of listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    They were 122-8. The only question is why Anderson played when he wasn't fit. Our bowling attack was more than adequate but our best bowler wasn't fit. Stone should have played but only because Jimmy was injured.
    Obviously wrong call in hindsight, you would have imagined that Anderson would have gone through all pre match fitness test and come through ok. There have been videos of him bowling in the nets going around for weeks, and you would think he is doing 30 overs a day in the nets.

The problem is net bowling isnt quite the same as match bowling. Having no pressure charging in bowling with no consequences is different from bowling in the first test of the ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Obviously wrong call in hindsight, you would have imagined that Anderson would have gone through all pre match fitness test and come through ok. There have been videos of him bowling in the nets going around for weeks, and you would think he is doing 30 overs a day in the nets.

The problem is net bowling isnt quite the same as match bowling. Having no pressure charging in bowling with no consequences is different from bowling in the first test of the ashes.
    It's easy to criticise but Beefy and Nas were on yesterday saying you don't really bowl in the nets, or at least push yourself. They were desperate for him to play, with good reason but it's a shame he's pulled up so early. Could be series defining.

It's easy to criticise but Beefy and Nas were on yesterday saying you don't really bowl in the nets, or at least push yourself. They were desperate for him to play, with good reason but it's a shame he's pulled up so early. Could be series defining.
    Its right you don't really go all out in the nets, but how else could he prove fitness before hand, they couldn't replicate the situation. I would have imagined that the medical would have gone through all the processes and scans before hand, but there was still a weakness there.

Being a bowler down and with the release of pressure and the added tiredness of the remaining bowlers has in this moment let Australia get to a higher score than they should have done. In a venue that England generally win at, they are at a sure disadvantage now.

Its right you don't really go all out in the nets, but how else could he prove fitness before hand, they couldn't replicate the situation. I would have imagined that the medical would have gone through all the processes and scans before hand, but there was still a weakness there.

Being a bowler down and with the release of pressure and the added tiredness of the remaining bowlers has in this moment let Australia get to a higher score than they should have done. In a venue that England generally win at, they are at a sure disadvantage now.
    England are still in the driving seat, it was important to get both Roy and Burns back last night. It's still a below par score and they just need to get off to a good start.

They could have made Jimmy actually bowl at full tilt for a spell. Either way, he's not 100% and you can say x, y, z but it clearly was a mistake.

England are still in the driving seat, it was important to get both Roy and Burns back last night. It's still a below par score and they just need to get off to a good start.

They could have made Jimmy actually bowl at full tilt for a spell. Either way, he's not 100% and you can say x, y, z but it clearly was a mistake.
    Jimmy and the team were most probably bowling at full pelt, i imagine the speed gun was showing similar speeds to the match. Its just different in the nets.

Its a mistake now, but that's easy to say after the event.

Jimmy and the team were most probably bowling at full pelt, i imagine the speed gun was showing similar speeds to the match. Its just different in the nets.

Its a mistake now, but that's easy to say after the event.
    Well according to the Sky pundits, they probably wouldn't be bowling full speed, which is the issue. It's easy to say but Jimmy was probably desperate to play so pushed himself to do so, which is probably why he feels so guilty now.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    People will scream political correctness about any change they don't like, in fact there's a hell of a lot more people that complain about political correctness than there are people complaining that things aren't politically correct.

Having women on makes it more inclusive and maybe more accessible to the women watching. TMS is on for about 8 hours, I genuinely can't understand why anybody cares if there's someone of a different gender to them talking about the cricket for a portion of that time, it's bizarre. Same with football, there's some awful female pundits and there's some great ones, the same is true for male pundits

And without tarring everybody with the same brush it's usually men of a certain age complaining about that and a lot of other things that are changing to make things more equal for everybody. Times change, go with it, it doesn't matter

My issue isnt so much Anderson but not having the tools to finish the tail. If they didnt want to risk Archer then they should have found a space for Stone.

Im sure Siddle and Lyon wouldnt have lasted as long with 90mph balls going past their noses.

Well according to the Sky pundits, they probably wouldn't be bowling full speed, which is the issue. It's easy to say but Jimmy was probably desperate to play so pushed himself to do so, which is probably why he feels so guilty now.
    Jimmy would have had a spell at full speed in front of the coaches. I know what the panelists are saying, i've been in nets myself for the past 20 years, and you do bowl at full speed, but its not match intensity.

My issue isnt so much Anderson but not having the tools to finish the tail. If they didnt want to risk Archer then they should have found a space for Stone.

Im sure Siddle and Lyon wouldnt have lasted as long with 90mph balls going past their noses.
    They did have the tools, they just didn't have Jimmy so had to find overs from elsewhere. Jimmy, Woakes and Broad are more than good enough.

Jimmy would have had a spell at full speed in front of the coaches. I know what the panelists are saying, i've been in nets myself for the past 20 years, and you do bowl at full speed, but its not match intensity.
    Yes, I realise that but this is a 5 day test match. The pundits explicitly said that Anderson would not have been going full pace in the nets and the warm ups. They'll know better than all of us.

They had the tools when the ball was new and moving about. Siddle in particular was in little trouble against the old ball.

The convicts have extra pace and a miles better spinner. They wont have the same problem when the ball gets old. Someone really has to step up and get a big score.

We need a decent lead and ive no real confidence we will get 250.

I can't bring myself to say "we" but England have great depth to their batting. Anderson decision looks dodgy but very surprised that Starc isn't in the Aussie line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    I can't bring myself to say "we" but England have great depth to their batting. Anderson decision looks dodgy but very surprised that Starc isn't in the Aussie line-up.
    Yeah im suprised theres no Starc.

They had the tools when the ball was new and moving about. Siddle in particular was in little trouble against the old ball.

The convicts have extra pace and a miles better spinner. They wont have the same problem when the ball gets old. Someone really has to step up and get a big score.

We need a decent lead and ive no real confidence we will get 250.
    They don't have a better attack than England. That's laughable. Anderson is the best bowler in the world in English conditions, Broad on his day is the best bowler in the world full stop, and Woakes averages 21 with the ball here.