+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 million really ??

Re: 20 million really ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    The Jacks always seem to get top dollar for their players while we always sell on the cheap? Ramsey £4.8m, Bruno £3m, Zohore 8m, Ledley 0, Matthews 0, numerous other actually payed off to leave! How much will we get back for Madine,Tomlin,Cunningham,Bogle and Smithies all Apparently we are trying to shift!
    We normally have to cancel by mutual consent

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Ask Scotland fans what they thought of him.

Absolute shite is what I’ve mostly seen.

They’d prefer Paterson up top.

Prices have gone mad.

He’s a hard worker and scores a few, but he had some good players around him creating lots of chances.

He found it a lot more difficult when he played in the Prem.

Not quick, particularly good in the air or tricky.

Good touch and brings other players in well, movement and hold up play very good.

Young too but I can’t see him getting quicker, trickier or better in the air -£20m seems Madness.
    Would you rather Paterson or Mcburnie up front?

8m for Zohore good, at the time Ramsey - 5m for a 16/17 yo was good money - Prefer he stayed and potential for more but if he had to go, add on’s would have been nice but club needed cash.

Fee for this guy looks about right,. Real question is who cares what they get really? They are not our problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Fee for this guy looks about right,. Real question is who cares what they get really? They are not our problem.
    I agree but it shows how a functional academy can benefit a football club. If they weren't able to sell two academy players for nearly £40 million then they'd be in shit street now.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree but it shows how a functional academy can benefit a football club. If they weren't able to sell two academy players for nearly £40 million then they'd be in shit street now.
    James and McBurnie were in their late teens by the time they went to the Jacks. They obviously deserve credit though but people criticise us for taking Ralls at 15 and not a real youth player etc, while these two came in 2/3 years after that! I agree though, we have to get it working better than it is currently, we've wasted 5 seasons really with no progression. Hopefully Coxe gets games somewhere this season!

Re McBurnie, he puts the ball in the back of the net first and foremost. If he does that, nobody will care. He's scored 33 in his last 61 games for the Jacks and Barnsley. It's a lot of money but I'd rather spend it on him than Solanke.

Both Mcburnie and James were signed from other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    James and McBurnie were in their late teens by the time they went to the Jacks. They obviously deserve credit though but people criticise us for taking Ralls at 15 and not a real youth player etc, while these two came in 2/3 years after that! I agree though, we have to get it working better than it is currently, we've wasted 5 seasons really with no progression. Hopefully Coxe gets games somewhere this season!

Re McBurnie, he puts the ball in the back of the net first and foremost. If he does that, nobody will care. He's scored 33 in his last 61 games for the Jacks and Barnsley. It's a lot of money but I'd rather spend it on him than Solanke.
    I don't think we should be criticized for taking Ralls and developing him and I don't think they should be criticized for how they've developed Mcburnie and particularly Dan James who was about 14 when he went to Swansea from Hull.

Either way they've spent a lot of time developing these players in their academy according to their philosophy and made a profit of £35 million ffs. How can anyone be sceptical of that!!

I don't think we should be criticized for taking Ralls and developing him and I don't think they should be criticized for how they've developed Mcburnie and particularly Dan James who was about 14 when he went to Swansea from Hull.

Either way they've spent a lot of time developing these players in their academy according to their philosophy and made a profit of £35 million ffs. How can anyone be sceptical of that!!
    Players were 17 (James) and 19 (Mcburnie). They pretty much spent their time in other academies.

This shows that its useful being in the Premier league to scout younger players and have them playing in your U23 side.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Players were 17 (James) and 19 (Mcburnie). They pretty much spent their time in other academies.

This shows that its useful being in the Premier league to scout younger players and have them playing in your U23 side.
    And how important it is to have a Cat 1 academy. You can't have a good academy for the level we're at without it. We've lost players like Matondo because of our Cat 2 status.

Just for clarity, James was 16 when he joined the Jacks:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150416...il/story.html#

McBurnie was 19 and already played 30 professional games:
    https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....ager-mcburnie/

All credit to the Jacks for improving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    And how important it is to have a Cat 1 academy. You can't have a good academy for the level we're at without it. We've lost players like Matondo because of our Cat 2 status.
    Not really both players were already out of their respective academy before they came to Swansea. McBurnie was on a pro deal at Bradford.

Dont get me wrong Swansea did well to identify 2 young talents, they were lucky they were in the Premier League at the time, and the players developed in their U23 squad.

However its nothing to do with them having a strong academy.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Not really both players were already out of their respective academy before they came to Swansea. McBurnie was on a pro deal at Bradford.

Dont get me wrong Swansea did well to identify 2 young talents, they were lucky they were in the Premier League at the time, and the players developed in their U23 squad.

However its nothing to do with them having a strong academy.
    The Jacks could sign James because they were Cat 1 while Hull's academy was not, hence the low fee (£72k!).

Would you rather Paterson or Mcburnie up front?
    100% McBurnie for me, seems a natural goalscorer and has knocked them in for both clubs he's played for. Pato puts a shift in and scores a few through hard work