+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Election After Brecon Result

General Election After Brecon Result

Would not be shocked.

Then we will see this politcal board explode with venom and spite, as people fail to control their personal attacks beacuse of simple differences of opinion.

Cant wait.

Re: General Election After Brecon Result

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Would not be shocked.

Then we will see this politcal board explode with venom and spite, as people fail to control their personal attacks beacuse of simple differences of opinion.

Cant wait.
    I'm sure Wales-Bales and/or Ronnie will try to restrain themselves.

Ronnie has an annoying habit of pressing the space bar before a question mark; Wales-Bales never does. Therefore I must conclude they are different people and I've never thought otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Ronnie has an annoying habit of pressing the space bar before a question mark; Wales-Bales never does. Therefore I must conclude they are different people and I've never thought otherwise.
    Who am I ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm sure Wales-Bales and/or Ronnie will try to restrain themselves.
    I don't talk about politics much, it's a mugs game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Who am I ?

One of the benefits of never voting is it's easy to rise above the red-blue fisticuffs. The primary reason I stopped voting after the 1997 General Election was that the proceeding two years convinced me both parties relentlessly pursued an identical agenda.

One of the benefits of never voting is it's easy to rise above the red-blue fisticuffs. The primary reason I stopped voting after the 1997 General Election was that the proceeding two years convinced me both parties relentlessly pursued an identical agenda.
    I totally agree, it's more fun being a neautral observer, and you have a clearer view of the ongoing malfeasance. As soon as you pick a side your thought processes become clouded, and you become highly susceptible to suggestion.

Well spotted Organ Morgan. I don't know why it's annoying, but that's beside the point.
    I expect that if you were to compare our respective posts you'd find lots of stuff like that. It did occur to me to do just that, but there's a limit to how much I care.

The whole thing is tiresome , but it does at least serve to expose the limited ability of some like Jon1959 and Rudey to form reliable opinions and judgements, and so in that sense it is helpful.

I haven't looked at the by election result , although I expect that it's out by now , but I should think that a general election is pretty much inevitable one way or another, and I think the signs are obvious that BoJo is preparing for one because he's promising all sorts of things which he knows he probably won't have to do in this Parliament.

An early GE looks increasingly likely now as this might easily become a minority government soon if certain Tories carry out their promises to defect (Philip Lee being the latest to rouse speculation)

Coupled with Labour's poor polling results and a perceived "Boris Bounce", however slight, the Tories might conclude now is their best chance of gaining some miniscule majority. Nevertheless, if Labour suddenly changes tack and gets real with itself by abandoning it's fence sitting, the Tories could well regret ever calling a GE in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    An early GE looks increasingly likely now as this might easily become a minority government soon if certain Tories carry out their promises to defect (Philip Lee being the latest to rouse speculation)

Coupled with Labour's poor polling results and a perceived "Boris Bounce", however slight, the Tories might conclude now is their best chance of gaining some miniscule majority. Nevertheless, if Labour suddenly changes tack and gets real with itself by abandoning it's fence sitting, the Tories could well regret ever calling a GE in the first place.
    If the euro elections weren't a wake up call for labour, I don't know what is. They've got such an opportunity here, ripe for the taking.

The remain parties are working together so as not to split the vote. Labour should be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    If the euro elections weren't a wake up call for labour, I don't know what is. They've got such an opportunity here, ripe for the taking.

The remain parties are working together so as not to split the vote. Labour should be all over it.

Lots in Labour don’t want to win an election.
    They want to go along to meetings and sing ‘oh Jeremy Corbyn’ like the followers of the Thugee cult in The Temple Of Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Lots in Labour don’t want to win an election.
    They want to go along to meetings and sing ‘oh Jeremy Corbyn’ like the followers of the Thugee cult in The Temple Of Doom.
    Nail on the head .

Divide ,think you have conquered, fall no matter what , as long as the cause is kept up.

Depending upon who wins any election , it remains to be seen whether the result will be accepted.
    We're in territory where the minority now start demanding a re run if they lose a vote, so unless the elite and their followers win ,
    ( which seems unlikely ), we'll have years of ranting about how people didn't know what they were voting for .

Remain party wins in leave seat. Unless the Tories can fix the brexit party problem they basically can't call a GE

Won't be any alternative if they lose a no confidence motion or their majority.

If they can strike a deal with Nigel Farage and stand on a Brexit with no deal if necessary ticket, they'll increase their majority, but as I said there, we're now in the very dangerous territory where the outcome of a vote isn't necessarily accepted , so it's not certain whether that'd resolve anything.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Depending upon who wins any election , it remains to be seen whether the result will be accepted.
    We're in territory where the minority now start demanding a re run if they lose a vote, so unless the elite and their followers win ,
    ( which seems unlikely ), we'll have years of ranting about how people didn't know what they were voting for .
    That's an interesting take on something that's literally only happened once in an entire generation. You do realise that there's been a general election since the results of the Brexit vote and there weren't any demands for a re-run or years of ranting about how people didn't know what they were voting for... Right?

It's almost like you're worried that people may be right to question the result of the referendum.

There's an ocean of difference between a one off, so called generational, referendum on perhaps the biggest issue since the Second World War which, outrageously, was conducted without the sensible requirement of imposing a supermajority verdict, and a routine GE whose result can be overturned every five years or maybe sooner. That's dynamic and contemporary democracy.

There's an ocean of difference between a one off, so called generational, referendum on perhaps the biggest issue since the Second World War which, outrageously, was conducted without the sensible requirement of imposing a supermajority verdict, and a routine GE whose result can be overturned every five years or maybe sooner. That's dynamic and contemporary democracy.
    Joining the Common Market was the biggest issue since the second world war, and they never told us where it was all you going to end up, so we were deceived about the true intentions of the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Remain party wins in leave seat. Unless the Tories can fix the brexit party problem they basically can't call a GE
    If you add the Tory leave vote to the Brexit one , you get a leave win .

I have said this several times in different threads and very few people seem to have grasped the point you and I have made i.e. Cameron et al should have set a minimum majority verdict of 66.6%. If this was not achieved then the status quo would be preserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's an interesting take on something that's literally only happened once in an entire generation. You do realise that there's been a general election since the results of the Brexit vote and there weren't any demands for a re-run or years of ranting about how people didn't know what they were voting for... Right?

It's almost like you're worried that people may be right to question the result of the referendum.

You make an excellent point, although my post was more rhetorical than anything else. I think that the success or otherwise of refusing to accept the democratic outcome on Brexit will determine whether it becomes a standard tactic. Same sort of experiment is going on with President Trump in the USA.
    The traditional tactic of calling everyone racist when the left lose an argument is wearing thin, particularly since they've been revealed as the most racist party in terms of anti semitism.
    It's hard or impossible for them to win elections now because too many people are onto them, and they're not inclined to accept this as the test, so if they're able to gain anything from this desperate guerilla warfare through the media and sympathetic establishment components, they'll probably continue to do it and expand it .

50% +1 was required to get Britain into the EU but a two-thirds majority should have been the requirement to get out? Is there no end to the twisted reasoning of those who have sulked about the Brexit vote for over three years?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    You make an excellent point, although my post was more rhetorical than anything else. I think that the success or otherwise of refusing to accept the democratic outcome on Brexit will determine whether it becomes a standard tactic. Same sort of experiment is going on with President Trump in the USA.
    The traditional tactic of calling everyone racist when the left lose an argument is wearing thin, particularly since they've been revealed as the most racist party in terms of anti semitism.
    It's hard or impossible for them to win elections now because too many people are onto them, and they're not inclined to accept this as the test, so if they're able to gain anything from this desperate guerilla warfare through the media and sympathetic establishment components, they'll probably continue to do it and expand it .
    Spot on .

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I have said this several times in different threads and very few people seem to have grasped the point you and I have made i.e. Cameron et al should have set a minimum majority verdict of 66.6%. If this was not achieved then the status quo would be preserved.
    Absolutely right and if "Call me Dave" hadn't been such a baby he would have insisted upon it.

Absolutely right and if "Call me Dave" hadn't been such a baby he would have insisted upon it.
    And why exactly should one side have a harder number to reach than the other ?

This is just another way of trying to claim that the remainers are so much more intelligent than the majority that they should get their way - they should effectively get two votes each according to your suggestion.

Shall we do that then ? Have a second referrendum but require a two thirds majority to reverse the first one ?