Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Let's be fair, can you really expect a sensible conversation when you are advocating Nigel Farage as the greatest living Briton? I would have thought that, if nothing else, the last few years has proved that none of those in the forefront of current day politics on either side of the political spectrum is remotely worthy of such an honour.

Well it is sensible Bob if you understand that those who have achieved historical greatness have always had bitter opponents in their own time and been called all sorts of things by those who opposed them.
Being contraversial or even divisive in their own time has never disqualified anyone from historical greatness - quite the opposite in fact.

The point is that he's done things which will be etched into history, and that isn't diminished because some of his contemporaries don't like him - obviously a lot of people do like him, but that's equally irrelevant.

I don't warm to Kier Hardy but I couldn't and wouldn't deny that he achieved greatness because he effected the history of the country and Europe. That's the test , surely ?