+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: General Observations After Wigan

First Team

General Observations After Wigan

I think we really missed Gunnars and Bruno today. With them I think we would have come away with a scrappy result.

In no way have they been replaced or the formation changed to address their absence.

I just don't see how you can play Flint, Peltier, Bennett and Mozza in the same defence with no shielding midfield player. It was like watching a small copse of trees being run through by wood nymphs today. Simple balls down the side of the central two caused panic.

Bruno was often the covering player for the last few years. Ok he had a mistake in him but the made numerous covering tackles, interceptions etc. His value far outweighed his deficiencies.

Gunnars was also a rock protecting the back four when we didn't have possession.

To me, we desperately need a defensive midfield general and we cannot play a defence made up of that personnel and get away with it.

Re: General Observations After Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I think we really missed Gunnars and Bruno today. With them I think we would have come away with a scrappy result.

I just don't see how you can play Flint, Peltier, Bennett and Mozza in the same defence with no shielding midfield player. It was like watching a small copse of trees being run through by wood nymphs today. Simple balls down the side of the central two caused panic.

Really good assessment, well observed

In no way have they been replaced or the formation changed to address their absence.

Bruno was often the covering player for the last few years. Ok he had a mistake in him but the made numerous covering tackles, interceptions etc. His value far outweighed his deficiencies.

Gunnars was also a rock protecting the back four when we didn't have possession.

To me, we desperately need a defensive midfield general and we cannot play a defence made up of that personnel and get away with it.
    Very true - Gunnarsson and Manga did a lot of defensive work the last few seasons. Manga in particular used his pace to get us out of trouble on many occasions. Still, he’s gone now so we have to find a way of coping

I didn't see todays game but for me, Bennett ball watches terribly, he switches off at vital moments.

At times the defence looked like statues being passed around with ease. There was almost an arrogance on our part I felt. It was as if this much-hyped defence simply had to organise to nullify little old Wigan. So often both full backs were slow out to meet their man, with little conviction in making the tackle. Wigan were more industrious when given the chance and came away with more than their rightful share of second balls. I take encouragement that this performance has come away from home in the first game of the season and may act as a wake up call to the squad and the manager.

On a sour note, today was only the 5th or 6th away game I’ve attended since moving to Scotland in 2017, and I won’t be back anytime soon. The general behaviour of City fans of all ages is difficult to stomach when you are sober and it’s just not an enjoyable experience anymore. That’s a bit rich given the way I’ve performed at away games some 15-20 years ago, but you grow older and wiser. What I can’t understand is grown men having not the slightest regard for those around them. The mentality of being Cardiff City and doing what we want only seems to have strengthened in the last decade or so. It’s almost as if there is an unspoken rule of bawdiness that must be upheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    At times the defence looked like statues being passed around with ease. There was almost an arrogance on our part I felt. It was as if this much-hyped defence simply had to organise to nullify little old Wigan. So often both full backs were slow out to meet their man, with little conviction in making the tackle. Wigan were more industrious when given the chance and came away with more than their rightful share of second balls. I take encouragement that this performance has come away from home in the first game of the season and may act as a wake up call to the squad and the manager.

On a sour note, today was only the 5th or 6th away game I’ve attended since moving to Scotland in 2017, and I won’t be back anytime soon. The general behaviour of City fans of all ages is difficult to stomach when you are sober and it’s just not an enjoyable experience anymore. That’s a bit rich given the way I’ve performed at away games some 15-20 years ago, but you grow older and wiser. What I can’t understand is grown men having not the slightest regard for those around them. The mentality of being Cardiff City and doing what we want only seems to have strengthened in the last decade or so. It’s almost as if there is an unspoken rule of bawdiness that must be upheld.
    I couldn't agree with you more about some of our away fans, their behaviour is appalling and I have in the past felt ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more about some of our away fans, their behaviour is appalling and I have in the past felt ashamed.
    It's a shame; we often take big numbers away and make a good racket (when it's positive and gets behind the team rather than the anti stuff) but football is still, sadly, an deflating example of how moronic people can be in a very large group. I hope it doesn't put anyone off too much - there are still plenty there whose prime interest is the game and not playing drunken charades with the home fans.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Fair play, we have some right bewties among our ranks. 5 hours on the bus doing 'Bow and 'fun bags' doesn't help!

I'm getting old.

It was the first game of the season , different defence , and midfield set ups , never helped by loosing your first choice keeper ,and Wigan quickly taking advantage of that chaos .

Looking at other results perhaps were not alone in a bad start ,so many lost at home , Fulham's millions loosing , Stoke , Boro struggled, Brentford loosing to Brum, Charlton winning away from home .

Early doors heads up .

Tomlin ,Vaulks, Bogle to start for me v Luton

The problem was we didn't play with a shielding midfield player ... we played with TWO players who are not (Bacuna and Ralls in a 4231), whilst the 2 flank attackers in front of them (Mendez-Laing and Murphy) were so far forward there were yards of space in front of our 2 full-backs for Wigan's wingers to run at them at will. This formation was used for the whole game without change.

Instead of this 4231, at a side like Wigan an ordinary 4141 where that space would have been nullified, would have sufficed. The problem is we don't have a proper defensive central midfielder (a la Gunnars, Kav or Paul Ramsey). Yet again its a case of having to stick a square peg in a round hole which rarely works.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    The problem was we didn't play with a shielding midfield player ... we played with TWO players who are not (Bacuna and Ralls in a 4231), whilst the 2 flank attackers in front of them (Mendez-Laing and Murphy) were so far forward there were yards of space in front of our 2 full-backs for Wigan's wingers to run at them at will. This formation was used for the whole game without change.

Instead of this 4231, at a side like Wigan an ordinary 4141 where that space would have been nullified, would have sufficed. The problem is we don't have a proper defensive central midfielder (a la Gunnars, Kav or Paul Ramsey). Yet again its a case of having to stick a square peg in a round hole which rarely works.

StT.
    <><
    I don't think it was Bacuna or Ralls that were the problem, Reid was so far advanced that they were always outnumbered and had to press forward at times. We played a definite 4-2-3-1 but the 3 were almost a front 4 at times. That's not necessarily Reid's fault but he was not playing in the midfield on Saturday, he was off the front which I don't think suits him.