+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 13 English players in our 18 today.

13 English players in our 18 today.

Struck me as being a high number and so in an idle few moments I checked.

Blackburn, Charlton, B’ham fielded 12
    hull, WBA, Preston 11
    NF, Wigan, Stoke 10
    Barnsley 9
    Millwall, Reading, Swansea 8
    Sheffield W, QPR 7
    Fulham 3

Re: 13 English players in our 18 today.

Embarrassing singing the anti English songs really

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Struck me as being a high number and so in an idle few moments I checked.

Blackburn, Charlton, B’ham fielded 12
    hull, WBA, Preston 11
    NF, Wigan, Stoke 10
    Barnsley 9
    Millwall, Reading, Swansea 8
    Sheffield W, QPR 7
    Fulham 3
    You could be pedantic and say that 15 out of 18 were born in England (Vaulks and Etheridge too).

And we were beaten by a superb goal scored by a Welshman Lee Evans! And a Bluebird Supporter masterminded Swansea’s second half comeback against Hull!

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    Embarrassing singing the anti English songs really
    To be fair, Wales is just a westerly extension of England now. We need to rely on them for the life blood of our football and cricket, and we’d struggle big time if we ever tried to go it alone, or the Union was disbanded. Some entrenched taffs would disagree, but in reality, we have become parasites to the English, and on a bigger scale, the rest of Europe.
    Anyone in Wales who voted for Brexit, like me, are either suicidal, or think it’s about time, we met the problem head on, and forced ourselves into a situation, where we either meet the problems head on and fight to find solutions, or roll over and get our bellies tickled for the foreseeable future, by our larger, richer neighbours.

Independence is a ridiculous idea as you say , but Wales is an important component of the whole nation.
    It's probably much less now if this forum is anything to judge by, but Wales has traditionally contributed many great minds to the UK operation. I think off hand that there have been three U.S Presidents of Welsh parentage, ( Did you know that the "Sundance Kid" was born in Merthyr Tydfil ?).
    At one time 8 of the most common surnames in the New York telephone book were Welsh ones.

Wales is a small place with scant rescources and population , but it's punched way above its weight as part of Britain.

I'm personally horrified as well as shocked to discover how easily led some people in South Wales have apparently become, because it was an area renowned for producing intellectual individualists who would perhaps look at things a little differently than their English ,Scots or Irish counterparts. You will still find Welshmen in high places in world affairs though, and so don't for one moment underestimate that contribution.

As far as actually wanting to be a charity case in terms of Europe or any other bugger is concerned , well that flies in the face of what I'd known and considered to be the Welsh character.

Yes some idiots will be seduced by Welsh Nationalism, which is no more than a small part of a general effort to undermine what used to be the leading country in the world in many ways, but that's not what being Welsh is all about, and nor is the learned self hate which might lead anyone to think that Wales is no more than a redundant appendage of England or the EU.

Maybe you're limited by living in an outlying part of the U.K, but there used to be trains to Paddington several times a day and I imagine there still are. I jumped on one myself a long time ago actually , and found many opportunities , but they do let you go back now and again if you want to, and leaving the place doesn't change what you are. Don't therefore say that Welsh people must rely on England, since they can take part personally in what happens there.

I suggest then that Welsh blood runs through the very veins of British and world affairs, commerce, the arts and acedemic achievement, and without it the world would be a poorer place.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Independence is a ridiculous idea as you say , but Wales is an important component of the whole nation.
    It's probably much less now if this forum is anything to judge by, but Wales has traditionally contributed many great minds to the UK operation. I think off hand that there have been three U.S Presidents of Welsh parentage, ( Did you know that the "Sundance Kid" was born in Merthyr Tydfil ?).
    At one time 8 of the most common surnames in the New York telephone book were Welsh ones.

Wales is a small place with scant rescources and population , but it's punched way above its weight as part of Britain.

I'm personally horrified as well as shocked to discover how easily led some people in South Wales have apparently become, because it was an area renowned for producing intellectual individualists who would perhaps look at things a little differently than their English ,Scots or Irish counterparts. You will still find Welshmen in high places in world affairs though, and so don't for one moment underestimate that contribution.

As far as actually wanting to be a charity case in terms of Europe or any other bugger is concerned , well that flies in the face of what I'd known and considered to be the Welsh character.

Yes some idiots will be seduced by Welsh Nationalism, which is no more than a small part of a general effort to undermine what used to be the leading country in the world in many ways, but that's not what being Welsh is all about, and nor is the learned self hate which might lead anyone to think that Wales is no more than a redundant appendage of England or the EU.

Maybe you're limited by living in an outlying part of the U.K, but there used to be trains to Paddington several times a day and I imagine there still are. I jumped on one myself a long time ago actually , and found many opportunities , but they do let you go back now and again if you want to, and leaving the place doesn't change what you are. Don't therefore say that Welsh people must rely on England, since they can take part personally in what happens there.

I suggest then that Welsh blood runs through the very veins of British and world affairs, commerce, the arts and acedemic achievement, and without it the world would be a poorer place.
    da iawn