+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think we need a little perspective

Re: I think we need a little perspective

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    The perspective depends entirely upon our expectations doesn't it ?

If we're just going to give it a run and see where we end up in the league then it's really no biggy - plenty of good football played and many positives to take. However, if we're looking at winning that league then we can't afford performances like that - not even one.

In the past we'd have been happy to be quite good ,and I could live with that, but I just think we've got the opportunity and ability to be something more this season and if possible I don't want to see our fantastic progress of the past couple of seasons stall.
    I agree with so much of that. However, so much has been made of our defensive display. I'll put that into context. Wigan were a missed penalty away from doing what only Liverpool and Chelsea have done since Warnock took over - score 4 against us away from home. Had they done so, it would have been the second time under his management that we had conceded 4 goals in the same half. That's after a season in the Premier league where our defence was the primary reason for our relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think the nature of our defeat is a cause for concern. A 1-0 loss in a tight encounter would be one thing, but 3-2 with the opposition also missing a penalty is another - if it had been a one goal game, then it could be said that we had been able to play the game in the same sort of manner we did in 17/18, but just came out on the wrong side of things. Losing 3-2 is worrying because while one game is not enough evidence to make categorical claims about how our season will pan out, the suspicion that our ageing defence would struggle to cope in a league where the emphasis has moved more towards movement and pace in attacking play while we've been away has only been given more credence.
    Yes you can't score twice away and lose a game!

First away game to Wigan who have a good home record, Warnock would normally set up for a defensive masterclass with protection for a slow new centre half partnership, so I was expecting Nelson, and Vaulks to be in to pinch goal or two from his long throws or corners?

I'm pretty sure we will see those type of changes in the future especially away, wither that or he drops one of them and plays Nelson and three central midfielders, Warnocks way is to try and stop goals, and looking for narrow one or two nil wins

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I agree with so much of that. However, so much has been made of our defensive display. I'll put that into context. Wigan were a missed penalty away from doing what only Liverpool and Chelsea have done since Warnock took over - score 4 against us away from home. Had they done so, it would have been the second time under his management that we had conceded 4 goals in the same half. That's after a season in the Premier league where our defence was the primary reason for our relegation.
    The penalty came at 1 nil. Had they scored we may have gone on to win 5-1 or lose 5-1 for all we know.