+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Another mass shooting

Another mass shooting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49221936

It’s probably one of them illegal aliens. No? One of them African Americans then. No again?

Re: Another mass shooting

I thought Americans all carried guns so that they can defend themselves, but again theres a mass shooting and, as far as I can tell, no-one took out their weapon and returned fire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I thought Americans all carried guns so that they can defend themselves, but again theres a mass shooting and, as far as I can tell, no-one took out their weapon and returned fire.
    And yet at the end of that article is the following, presumably official, advice.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, however, said gun control would probably not have stopped the attack.

He added that if a "crazy" gunman launched such an attack, there was no way that law enforcement officers could be there to stop it.

"The best way is to be prepared to defend yourself," he told CBS News.

Another: Multiple people reportedly shot in Dayton, Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Another: Multiple people reportedly shot in Dayton, Ohio.
    At least 10 dead

Feck I'm off to Dayton and Elpaso within the next 2 weeks ..Hope I can put this down to a near miss.

Thoughts and prayers, mental health issues, gun control wouldn’t stop this, constitutional rights etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Thoughts and prayers, mental health issues, gun control wouldn’t stop this, constitutional rights etc etc
    Let them carry guns as the constitution intended - muzzle-loading muskets or flintlock pistols.

Surprised he hasn't tried to bring in the purge over there. No other way to control it, gun control the easiest and most obvious answer but there's a lot of people there that believe it is their right to bear arms, even when popping out for some groceries I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Ican never understand the need to own an assault rifle.

I've seen loads of threads here down the years where people wrung their hands in despair about gun deaths in the United States but never one related to the numbers dying in South American, Central American, or Caribbean countries. Is it because they simply don't give a hoot about those people? It's more likely they're unaware because the corporate media is so focused on the U.S.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I've seen loads of threads here down the years where people wrung their hands in despair about gun deaths in the United States but never one related to the numbers dying in South American, Central American, or Caribbean countries. Is it because they simply don't give a hoot about those people? It's more likely they're unaware because the corporate media is so focused on the U.S.

Yeah, let's give this a nice dose of Whataboutism.

Trump does the same by laying into the London Mayor whenever there is a terrible stabbing in London.

That’s a good point. The US constitution was written in response to the tyrannical behaviour of the UK. We here should be the last people to lecture Americans on their internal affairs.

It’s worth pointing out that only 11006 of the gun related deaths in the USA in 2016 were homicides, the remaining 26194 deaths were suicides.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    That’s a good point. The US constitution was written in response to the tyrannical behaviour of the UK. We here should be the last people to lecture Americans on their internal affairs.

It’s worth pointing out that only 11006 of the gun related deaths in the USA in 2016 were homicides, the remaining 26194 deaths were suicides.
    Good point. I have never forgiven the French for forcing William Pitt to introduce income tax!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Good point. I have never forgiven the French for forcing William Pitt to introduce income tax!
    Absolutely hilarious!!!

Is your point that we should be careful about raising concerns over 37,200 needless deaths in a year because of what happened in 1776?

Parts of America are as wedded to their right to own firearms as we are in the UK to the NHS: it's at the very core of national identity. It's going to take something big for those states to restrict firearms in any way but until that action is taken then one risks their life everyday by just going to school, going to a concert, going to the cinema, going to a shopping mall, going to a bar....the list is getting longer.

I believe i have been to that same Walmart ( unless El Paso has 2 walmarts attached to a Mall, i might do i guess )

The funny and scary thing is, we talk about the risks etc etc, but many Americans accept that risk as a day-to-day risk, just as we do when we cross a road

Call me cynical Organ but I don’t see you posting many articles about the sad number of gun related murders in Central
    And South America too often.

You’ve posted this to have a go in that lofty moral superior way of yours at those who expressed some sadness at the events in El Paso and Dayton.

We are convinced that America is like here. Superficially, the prominence of guns in society is one of the most overwhelmingly obvious differences between UK and the USA . In short, I expect those other countries to not be able to get their shit together and think straight, USA should be able to see what is completely obvious to the rest of us and take some action.

I find it remarkable that so many people here think they've got some right to dictate to the USA that they should change their constitution.

I get it, you don't like the right to bear arms any more than you like the freedom of speech or restricting illegal immigration, but why does it worry you if a foreign country has these things ? It's not as if we've got any of that stuff here, is it ?

We don't hear the dumbed down generation complaining about countries where they execute homosexuals and adulterers , prevent females going to school or perform genocide , but they're incandescent with rage that a free country allows its citizens personal responsibility and freedom from state intervention before any crime has been committed .

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I find it remarkable that so many people here think they've got some right to dictate to the USA that they should change their constitution.

I get it, you don't like the right to bear arms any more than you like the freedom of speech or restricting illegal immigration, but why does it worry you if a foreign country has these things ? It's not as if we've got any of that stuff here, is it ?

We don't hear the dumbed down generation complaining about countries where they execute homosexuals and adulterers , prevent females going to school or perform genocide , but they're incandescent with rage that a free country allows its citizens personal responsibility and freedom from state intervention before any crime has been committed .
    The irony of telling people what subject they are allowed an opinion on in the same breath as accusing others of being against freedom of speech (who are these people you speak of that are actually doing this, by the way?)

The 'dumbed down generation' as you so eloquently put it, frequently complain about the atrocities that you have mentioned. I'm not sure how you would know either way... Have you got a good sample size of these thick-as-shit, millennial loonie liberals in your social circle that you can vox pop on the subject?

Hopefully you can come back and post a chart with your results after you've conducted your research.

Getting back to the issue at hand, not wanting innocent children to be murdered in their classrooms every year shouldn't be a f**king discussion.

Dunblane turned out to be the pivotal moment in gun control in the UK - why shouldn't the public of a nation that hasn't had a school shooting in over 20 years, thanks to changes in our gun laws, be able to say that they think another nation has got their priorities completely arse backwards in regards to gun control? (This is usually when someone says that the USA's history is more entrenched in gun culture/wars so it wouldn't work... Let's just skip that bit by saying Germany have had 4 mass shootings in 20 years, the USA have had 2 in the last 24 hours!)

The ones who talk about tyranny and constitutional rights clearly care more about history and tradition than the lives of innocent civilians living in a different world to the one when independence was declared in the US over 200 years ago! They can go **** themselves... Hopefully with a bayonet rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

Yes I remember now, you can't criticise one thing without criticising every bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The irony of telling people what subject they are allowed an opinion on in the same breath as accusing others of being against freedom of speech (who are these people you speak of that are actually doing this, by the way?)

The 'dumbed down generation' as you so eloquently put it, frequently complain about the atrocities that you have mentioned. I'm not sure how you would know either way... Have you got a good sample size of these thick-as-shit, millennial loonie liberals in your social circle that you can vox pop on the subject?

Hopefully you can come back and post a chart with your results after you've conducted your research.

Getting back to the issue at hand, not wanting innocent children to be murdered in their classrooms every year shouldn't be a f**king discussion.

Dunblane turned out to be the pivotal moment in gun control in the UK - why shouldn't the public of a nation that hasn't had a school shooting in over 20 years, thanks to changes in our gun laws, be able to say that they think another nation has got their priorities completely arse backwards in regards to gun control? (This is usually when someone says that the USA's history is more entrenched in gun culture/wars so it wouldn't work... Let's just skip that bit by saying Germany have had 4 mass shootings in 20 years, the USA have had 2 in the last 24 hours!)

The ones who talk about tyranny and constitutional rights clearly care more about history and tradition than the lives of innocent civilians living in a different world to the one when independence was declared in the US over 200 years ago! They can go **** themselves... Hopefully with a bayonet rifle.
    Do you actually want people with whom you disagree to **** themselves with a bayonet rifle? The irony of you condemning gun violence in the USA while wishing it on people that disagree with you on a football message board.

America’s foreign policy under Obama and SOS Clinton has resulted in the deaths of millions of innocents. That figure dwarfs the number of gun honicides in the USA. Most of those deaths are gang related. Of course every death is tragic and spree shootings are terrible but we have terrorism here too with our strict gun laws. We also had Derek Bird killing at least 10 people with a shotgun in 2010. Even if the US introduced much stricter gun laws criminals would continue to use illicit guns, and spree shooters would use legal shotguns and hunting rifles.

Not every problem has a solution. Spree shootings are a social/cultural problem in the US that will not go away by restricting gun sales. Entrenched political positions in a polarised population are giving crazy people the ‘justification” to commit these deeds with a ready audience on the web/social media to cement their notoriety.

Back to your wish for me and other CCMB members to kill ourselves in a gruesome way. It is an absolutely disgusting thing to write and if you feel no shame about writing it then you are clearly deranged.

Evil every where just the numbers and effect alter I found this disturbing.

A SEX worker mum murdered her toddler daughters before putting their clothes up for sale on Facebook, it has been revealed today.
    Louise Porton, 23, was today jailed for life with a minimum of 32 years for suffocating her daughters Lexi Draper, three, and Scarlett Vaughan, 16-months, to death.

And this :

A six-year-old boy was thrown five floors from the 10th floor of the Tate Modern art gallery in central London, police said.

He landed on a fifth floor roof and was taken to hospital by air ambulance after he fell at about 14:45 BST on Sunday.

The boy's condition is described as critical.

A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, the Met Police said.

Heisenberg

Do you actually want people with whom you disagree to **** themselves with a bayonet rifle? The irony of you condemning gun violence in the USA while wishing it on people that disagree with you on a football message board.

America’s foreign policy under Obama and SOS Clinton has resulted in the deaths of millions of innocents. That figure dwarfs the number of gun honicides in the USA. Most of those deaths are gang related. Of course every death is tragic and spree shootings are terrible but we have terrorism here too with our strict gun laws. We also had Derek Bird killing at least 10 people with a shotgun in 2010. Even if the US introduced much stricter gun laws criminals would continue to use illicit guns, and spree shooters would use legal shotguns and hunting rifles.

Not every problem has a solution. Spree shootings are a social/cultural problem in the US that will not go away by restricting gun sales. Entrenched political positions in a polarised population are giving crazy people the ‘justification” to commit these deeds with a ready audience on the web/social media to cement their notoriety.

Back to your wish for me and other CCMB members to kill ourselves in a gruesome way. It is an absolutely disgusting thing to write and if you feel no shame about writing it then you are clearly deranged.
    F**king hell. You've gone from missing the point to being offended in a flash there.

Why is the trope of "there will still be murders without strict gun controls" always trotted out? Of course there will... but will the numbers be significantly fewer with tighter restrictions on purchasing and owning guns? The answer is a resounding yes. How many people would have been killed this weekend in the States if those terrorists didn't have automatic weapons which no civilian has any legitimate cause to carry? Even if they were just carrying handguns, the mortalilty rate could have been reduced. Spree shootings would also be reduced if these right-wing murderers only had "shotguns" or "hunting rifles". In the time it would take to shoot and reload weapons of their caliber, these shooters could get get off an entire magazine, potentially killing dozens of people.

Advocates of gun control aren't expecting to end shootings or murders - it's about reducing them to a level where we're not reading about innocent people being gunned down while they're going about their lives on a regular basis.

If there were tighter gun controls, that would mean a reduction in the production of firearms - which, logically, would make it harder to purchase one (legally or illegally).

Since you're so troubled by my remark - of course I don't wish that upon you... but if you genuinely think that history and tradition is more important than reducing the loss of innocent lives, then the 'go f**k yourself' part still stands.