+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Another mass shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Another mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Who or what determines such human rights?
    Ah, you must read the US Constitution. They're "inalienable" rights granted by God.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Ah, you must read the US Constitution. They're "inalienable" rights granted by God.
    I think you should probably read the US constitution, god isn't mentioned once

A comment I find strange on here is "the dumbed down generation".
    Whoever said that can't have spent much time recently with the younger generations, ive been working with school kids, uni students and recent graduates recently and without exception I've found them to be remarkably bright, articulate, confident and personable.
    When I think back to how I was at their age they put me to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Whoever said that can't have spent much time recently with the younger generations, ive been working with school kids, uni students and recent graduates recently and without exception I've found them to be remarkably bright, articulate, confident and personable.
    It seems that every generation gets put down by their predecessors who remember halcyon days and the world being a better place.
    Refreshingly, it was interesting to hear Alan Johnson (a former postman, union boss and Home Secretary) being interviewed on Radio 4 yesterday when he stated that the fifties wasn't the peaceful heaven for him but which others go on about.

Anyway, whatever your politics or age it is a really interesting interview on several levels:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007bjb

It seems that every generation gets put down by their predecessors who remember halcyon days and the world being a better place.
    Refreshingly, it was interesting to hear Alan Johnson (a former postman, union boss and Home Secretary) being interviewed on Radio 4 yesterday when he stated that the fifties wasn't the peaceful heaven for him but which others go on about.

Anyway, whatever your politics or age it is a really interesting interview on several levels:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007bjb
    Thanks for posting that link, because there's no way I would have listened to the interview if you hadn't .

Always had a lot of time for Alan Johnson and, although I didn't agree with everything he said, that's more true now after listening to that.

For the first time I think - and grudgingly - and wrapped around with weaselly deflection about video games and mental health - Trump has finally denounced the ideology of white supremacy that appears to have been behind one of the latest domestic terrorist massacres.

The words have changed slightly after 3 years, but there is no sign that actions will follow. That would require Presidential courage and leadership of the type that Trump could never give. There would also need to be a willingness to confront the NRA and other powerful lobbies, and to challenge the various cultures (including urban gang cultures) that feed the violence. Instead Trump panders to the NRA and abuses the victims of gun crime.

Maybe the revulsion amongst so many ordinary Americans will help to shift the debate and achieve pressure for change, but I think there has to be leadership and commitment from the federal government, and I just can't see it with this lot in power.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    For the first time I think - and grudgingly - and wrapped around with weaselly deflection about video games and mental health - Trump has finally denounced the ideology of white supremacy that appears to have been behind one of the latest domestic terrorist massacres.

The words have changed slightly after 3 years, but there is no sign that actions will follow. That would require Presidential courage and leadership of the type that Trump could never give. There would also need to be a willingness to confront the NRA and other powerful lobbies, and to challenge the various cultures (including urban gang cultures) that feed the violence. Instead Trump panders to the NRA and abuses the victims of gun crime.

Maybe the revulsion amongst so many ordinary Americans will help to shift the debate and achieve pressure for change, but I think there has to be leadership and commitment from the federal government, and I just can't see it with this lot in power.
    In a pretty amazing speech, Trump managed to get the name of the town wrong, despite it being on the teleprompter correctly.

He doesn't seem at all lucid, either. Sniffing a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The person who said dumbed down generation spends all his time sat at his computer reading right wing propaganda and thinking he’s a genius because he thinks the moon landings were faked.

I don’t know why anyone even bothers replying to him. This thread is all nonsense because of that one person posting ten times as much as anyone else. There’s no hope of a reasoned discussion on here.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Trump was quoted 6 times in this guy’s manifesto. It’s too late to renounce anything, the damage has been done.

Well how do you account for the number of shootings in the US when such things are rarer in comparable countries that ban guns from being sold to the public???
    Are the inordinate numbers concerned comparable either side of the pond? I think not.
    That’s the exact point I’m making. They’re happy with prohibition except for the thing they get huge back handers on.

To me it’s nuts that it’s such a partisan issue. Think of all the absolute idiots and arse holes you know. Would anyone be happy for them to be able to own multiple guns?

Of course banning guns will help, it’s helped in every other country that’s done it.

People say career criminals will still get guns, yes they will just as they do in every country. But are these the people shooting up schools, malls, fairs, universities?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    That’s the exact point I’m making. They’re happy with prohibition except for the thing they get huge back handers on.

To me it’s nuts that it’s such a partisan issue. Think of all the absolute idiots and arse holes you know. Would anyone be happy for them to be able to own multiple guns?

Of course banning guns will help, it’s helped in every other country that’s done it.

People say career criminals will still get guns, yes they will just as they do in every country. But are these the people shooting up schools, malls, fairs, universities?
    The only hope is the younger generation, many of whom have attended schools at a time when scholastic establishments have been targetted.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I opened this thread today expecting there to be a decent discussion about this but all it is, is him posting absolute rubbish. I have no idea why anyone entertains him.
    It might be an alt-right bot Croesy; it seems to exhibit all the classic tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    It might be an alt-right bot Croesy; it seems to exhibit all the classic tropes.
    This is him too btw, his first post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Hi everyone,new poster here and long time lurker after getting mightily fed up with all the right wing crazies who infest *****' board.

I just thought that, although I have no evidence to support my belief, I don't happen to think that Wales- Bales and Ronnie are one and the same. Their writing styles are very different though their opinions are amazingly similar. So I'm inclined to believe Ronnie in this instance. I'm sure he(or she) is the alter ego of a poster who called himself Sir Jimmy Scoular on *****' board and constantly spouted the same drivel there. I'm amazed he left there and migrated here because he has more of an intellectual challenge to face on this board whereas he and his mate Yaxley-Lennon were treated as super heroes over there.

No I don't Eric. It's a fundamental human right to own property and defend yourself, and until someone breaks the law I reject the suggestion that they should be punished for the potential or actual crimes of others.
    Pre emptive legislation is the stuff of an Orwellian nightmare, and has no place whatever in a free country.
    Fair enough and thanks for answering plainly, you can't escape the fact that this position causes children to needlessly die.

Do you think there should be speed limits on roads?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Fair enough and thanks for answering plainly, you can't escape the fact that this position causes children to needlessly die.

Do you think there should be speed limits on roads?

Different thing. No reason why there shouldn't be laws against using guns or anything else in a dangerous way.

A speed limit isn't banning cars is it ?

Different thing. No reason why there shouldn't be laws against using guns or anything else in a dangerous way.

A speed limit isn't banning cars is it ?
    Gun control isn't banning guns is it?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Gun control isn't banning guns is it?

Depends on the level of control.
    Those who drive the movement for gun control want them out of the hands of the people for sinister motives. They really don't care about human suffering or they wouldn't be constantly instituting pointless wars for financial benefit.
    Being very sly , they weaponise the naive sensibilities of the fluoride generation to create the impression that giving up their own ultimate means of self protection.

It's like trying to persuade a kid not to take sweets from a kindly stranger who's offering them a lift to Disneyland.

Depends on the level of control.
    Those who drive the movement for gun control want them out of the hands of the people for sinister motives. They really don't care about human suffering or they wouldn't be constantly instituting pointless wars for financial benefit.
    Being very sly , they weaponise the naive sensibilities of the fluoride generation to create the impression that giving up their own ultimate means of self protection.

It's like trying to persuade a kid not to take sweets from a kindly stranger who's offering them a lift to Disneyland.
    Let me get this straight. You're saying that people in the US who want gun control are also all starting wars to make money?

None of them are parents who just don't want guns at their kids school?

And who decides what the limit is for protection? Should I be able to own a tank?

Is not owning a gun a punishment?

Is he against people taking drugs being punished?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    And who decides what the limit is for protection?
    God did when he wrote the murican constitution.

I'm just off out to buy some plutonium to protect my family.

The ex-girlfriend of the Dayton murderer tells her chilling tale

https://medium.com/@_adeliajohnson_/...r-2b7f2d792b68

The White Supremacy Virus by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (U.S. Representative)

There is a difference between white supremacists & white supremacy.

White supremacy is like a virus.

Supremacists are those who have been completely overcome by the disease, but supremacy - the virus - exists on a larger scale beyond just the infected. It also lays dormant.

White supremacy is often subconscious. & Clearly, our nation has not been inoculated. WS is our nation’s original sin; the driving logic of slavery, of Native genocide, of Jim Crow, of segregation, of mass incarceration, of “Send Her Back.”

It never went away. It was just dormant.

Healing ourselves of white supremacy will be hard. It will be hard because it requires us to confront *ourselves.*

We wish it was as simple as denouncing a white hood, a burnt cross, vile language. But we need to address where supremacy *begins,* not just where it ends.

Perhaps more than the obvious last steps of the supremacist,we must examine the nuance of their first steps.

That is a painful inquiry, bc for many, we may see familiarity in those first steps. And that familiarity is very difficult to see + admit. We’d rather not talk about it.

Recognizing white supremacy in ourselves - our institutions, our subconscious, our own past remarks or acts (no matter how consciously unintentional), is what makes the healing work ahead challenging.

But it is not impossible, and confronting it is the only way to move forward.

What this moment is asking of us is to discuss *white supremacy and racism* as much - or possibly more than - *white supremacists and racists.*

When we do that, I believe we will start to make progress.

But it is incredibly important that we recognize that perfectly normal, good people are capable of aiding racism & white supremacy.

Recognizing that is not about pillorying people. It’s about learning to recognize *the virus* & end an oppressive system designed to hurt us *all

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1159254426097467394 was

This is a pretty brutal takedown of Trump's baby photo op.

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2019/08/t...-shooting.html

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    This is a pretty brutal takedown of Trump's baby photo op.

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2019/08/t...-shooting.html
    It is isn't it. You get more cynical about all politicians the older you get, but this lot are on a different level completely - awful, awful human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It is isn't it. You get more cynical about all politicians the older you get, but this lot are on a different level completely - awful, awful human beings.
    A two month old orphaned as his parents were protecting him from a gunman as they were doing the food shopping. No one would think it appropriate to pose with a thumbs up next to this baby. You're wrong to use the word human being in this context.

Any other president would have been crucified for this. But in Trump's America it will have made no difference to his popularity.