+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Charity Shield.

The Charity Shield.

Never been much of a fan of this game and the days when I'd watch the whole match right through are long gone, but I've never forgotten about it being played till the following day, like I did this year, before - was it any good?

Re: The Charity Shield.

Who were playing ???

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Who were playing ???
    I suspect you're not being serious but Liverpool and Man City

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I suspect you're not being serious but Liverpool and Man City

DON'T WASTE MY TIME AGAIN

Yes, it was excellent, very competitive, two of the best club sides in the world providing an entertaining curtain raiser for the most watched league, containing the best players - not sure why anyone who professes to be a football fan would be so disinterested in such a game - obviously too cool for school.. As an aside Man City's kits were a delight no sponsor and with big white collars and cuffs like the 60's kits.

Very much the proverbial “game of two halves”.
    Man City well in control first half then Liverpool dominated the second, creating chances at will. Unfortunately for them Mo Salah couldn’t hit a barn door yesterday.
    Very competitive and great viewing.

Since 1927 the Charity Shield has been meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Never been much of a fan of this game and the days when I'd watch the whole match right through are long gone, but I've never forgotten about it being played till the following day, like I did this year, before - was it any good?
    Not watched it for years and years. The last decent one was Liverpool v Leeds in '74. The Keegan v Bremner spat

Not been interested in it for years. Doesn't make me any less of a fan of football.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Not watched it for years and years. The last decent one was Liverpool v Leeds in '74. The Keegan v Bremner spat
    I remember listening to that on the radio. Was it televised in those days? As I recall, the only live football back then was the FA Cup final, the League Cup Final and international matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Yes, it was excellent, very competitive, two of the best club sides in the world providing an entertaining curtain raiser for the most watched league, containing the best players - not sure why anyone who professes to be a football fan would be so disinterested in such a game - obviously too cool for school.. As an aside Man City's kits were a delight no sponsor and with big white collars and cuffs like the 60's kits.
    That’s utter nonsense. It’s just a glorified friendly.
    I love my football, but would only watch a charity shield game if I had nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I remember listening to that on the radio. Was it televised in those days? As I recall, the only live football back then was the FA Cup final, the League Cup Final and international matches.
    I thought it was televised live? I was 14 at the time so maybe my memory is playing tricks with me? I've definitely seen the game a couple of times since.