+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life after death - should we be more open minded?

Life after death - should we be more open minded?

Now, before i get slated, i am of the opinion that when you're dead, that's it.

Let think about things around us and ponder:-

How does a plant grow with no organs or blood?
    How does a computer microchip work?
    How does a plane stay in the sky?
    How does something as heavy as a ship stay afloat?
    How can you text someone 12,000 miles away and get an instant reply?
    How does the human brain work in co-ordination with the eye?

The above list could go on & on as we take for granted things around us, but, for every question there are Professors, Scientists, teachers & alike who can explain computers, satellites & gravity etc.

The one thing, however, that no living being can ever explain or certainly prove, is how we all got here. Contrast that with how it all ends and there lies 2 unanswerable conundrums.

So, by the fact that we can't begin to understand the beginning, should we be so dismissive about the end?

Maybe, just maybe, the magic continues?

Re: Life after death - should we be more open minded?

Just assume the magic does end and make the most of it whilst you still can.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post

The above list could go on & on as we take for granted things around us, but, for every question there are Professors, Scientists, teachers & alike who can explain computers, satellites & gravity etc.

The one thing, however, that no living being can ever explain or certainly prove, is how we all got here. Contrast that with how it all ends and there lies 2 unanswerable conundrums.

So, by the fact that we can't begin to understand the beginning, should we be so dismissive about the end?

I made a similar comment in my previous life. When I was krill.

No, you've got an immortal soul, and your human lifetime is just a small part of it.
    God created you, and everything else.

- that's to the point because we'll get a lot of little kids wanting to argue the toss about it, which I don't intend to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No, you've got an immortal soul, and your human lifetime is just a small part of it.

- that's to the point because we'll get a lot of little kids wanting to argue the toss about it, which I don't intend to do.
    Which one? Gilgamesh? Kumari? Hebat?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Farage probably

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Farage probably
    Or Rees-Mogg, blessings be upon him.

We are stardust.

International

No one has ever come back to tell us it'll all be OK. (Except Jesus lol allegedly)

When my son first started talking he told me and his mum, that he had a sister who lived in NYC who was 80 year old he said it once and never said it again we were amazed and laughed but it did make us think.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

'Na na na na na I can't hear you' is definitely the normal tactic of an intellectual.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    When my son first started talking he told me and his mum, that he had a sister who lived in NYC who was 80 year old he said it once and never said it again we were amazed and laughed but it did make us think.
    His name's not Damien is it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surviving-D...s%2C131&sr=8-2

Very interesting book on the subject

Beam me up Scottie

Slightly off topic but are people without faith scared of death?

I'm an atheist but my mother was a Christian and she died the year before last and we never really talked about it because of our polar opposite beliefs. If people believe that's cool, I don't see the point in questioning them the same way that I don't wan't people knocking on my door.

I'm not afraid of dying but will be sad to leave everything behind (ie my children)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

I'm an atheist but my mother was a Christian and she died the year before last and we never really talked about it because of our polar opposite beliefs. If people believe that's cool, I don't see the point in questioning them the same way that I don't wan't people knocking on my door.

I'm not afraid of dying but will be sad to leave everything behind (ie my children)
    How did your mother approach her death? (Assuming that it was not sudden).

I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens. (Woody Allen)

We know exactly how plants grow without organs or blood! Its called photosynthesis. Learn Science
    We know exactly how a computer chips works, humans bloody devised the dam things. Lerarn Science and Engineering
    We know exactly how a plane stays in the sky. Learn Science and Engineering!

Again we know, Learn Science and engineering

Easily done, and has been for years. Science and engineering has the answers for you

Neuroscientist has made great advances in all areas, we know a great deal about how the Brain and eyes co-ordinate to predict movements. Lots of good papers online and Cardiff University has lots of public lectures on differeing topics.

We can prove certain events for sure, we can go back to milliseconds after the start of our universe. We know the stuff all living organisms on this globe was forged in dying stars, as Baloo said we are literally stardust, this is a fact. We know evolution is a fact, we know humans have a comment ancestor, we all came from modern day Africa. Science can't answer the question how did the universe start, but thats not to say the answer is not there, and it won't stop science for looking for it.

As I said we understand a great deal about the beginning.

It would be great, but its the old circles within circles argument, if God created everything, who created god?

We are immeasurably lucky to be here, and we should enjoy as much of it as we can, well except last saturdays shite performance.

Our approach to death will vary depending on the individual and the circumstances. When we are full of vigour and enjoying death wouldn't be welcome but if illness, old age and increasing and crushing decrepitude reduce us to a mere husk of what we once were some people may look forward to the release it brings.

Feedback

gilgamesh was a king, not a deity

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    gilgamesh was a king, not a deity
    True - but his name is entwined with religious myths and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    How did your mother approach her death? (Assuming that it was not sudden).
    She was quite relaxed about it. Obviously got scared and upset at times but that was about simply not wanting it to happen and leaving behind a family and in particular a young son.

She was quite relaxed about it. Obviously got scared and upset at times but that was about simply not wanting it to happen and leaving behind a family and in particular a young son.
    Do you think her Christian faith helped her with this?

Our approach to death will vary depending on the individual and the circumstances. When we are full of vigour and enjoying death wouldn't be welcome but if illness, old age and increasing and crushing decrepitude reduce us to a mere husk of what we once were some people may look forward to the release it brings.
    Sadly there are an increasing number of elderly people who are, as you say, mere husks of what they were but for whom death is not an option. This is the fate I fear the most, much more than death itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Do you think her Christian faith helped her with this?
    Yes.