+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The striker problem - its the system that fails!

The striker problem - its the system that fails!

Gary Madine proved at Sheffield Utd that he is decent at this level, when he plays alongside another striker (Billy Sharp)

Zohore (mainly because hes lazy), Danny Ward Bogle have all struggled being the lone forward. Paterson did alright but often just happened to find himself in the right place due to hard work & perseverance.

We need to have 2 upfront or push Reid further up the pitch. We have an abundance of talent on the wings but with only 1 player to aim for.

Time to adopt for 3,5,2 or 4,4,2 system i think.

Re: The striker problem - its the system that fails!

Warnock out:.. blueblade for our new leader!

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Gary Madine proved at Sheffield Utd that he is decent at this level, when he plays alongside another striker (Billy Sharp)

Zohore (mainly because hes lazy), Danny Ward Bogle have all struggled being the lone forward. Paterson did alright but often just happened to find himself in the right place due to hard work & perseverance.

We need to have 2 upfront or push Reid further up the pitch. We have an abundance of talent on the wings but with only 1 player to aim for.

Our wingers may be talented, but not one of them is consistent over a long period - if we went for two strikers, I would prefer it if the second one played instead of one of the wingers.

I think one winger is enough. In my opinion Reid should be given the opportunity to show what he can do with a front 3 of Reid, Glatzel/Bogle, Mendez/Murphy/Hoilett/Whyte.
    Last edited by Dorcus; 05-08-19 at 16:51. Reason: Spelling errors

Does anyone know if Sheffield Utd showed any interest in signing Madine permanently, or was he always being returned to us?

No they didn't want him.

I believe the OP is right. Wouldn't matter what striker we had, still wouldn't score (regularly) with the tactics we use.

Well, after 2.5 good seasons under Warnock it's obviously time for a mass panic after one bad result.

Madine got 3 in 16 for Sheff Utd. People need a sense of perspective and we're not going to rewrite the wheel. We also cannot play our wingers and 2 strikers, we'd end up playing a front 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Well, after 2.5 good seasons under Warnock it's obviously time for a mass panic after one bad result.

Madine got 3 in 16 for Sheff Utd. People need a sense of perspective and we're not going to rewrite the wheel. We also cannot play our wingers and 2 strikers, we'd end up playing a front 4.
    Was last season a good season ?

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    Was last season a good season ?
    Considering how much we spent and our budget, we came 3 points away form staying up. It wasn't a disaster. If you keep Warnock, you're keeping his football. All systems have their deficiencies. I've also seen this Cardiff side play 3-5-2 and it was not pretty and we basically played 4-4-2 on Saturday as Reid was so far forward which lead to a gaping whole in the middle of the pitch.

I agree with you about Madine. I don't think he's up to it which of course begs the question why did we end up paying £6 million for him.
    Last season had some good moments and yes we had some bad luck but ultimately it was a big opportunity missed to begin to establish ourselves in the top flight - an opportunity that may not come around again for some time.

I agree with you about Madine. I don't think he's up to it which of course begs the question why did we end up paying £6 million for him.
    Last season had some good moments and yes we had some bad luck but ultimately it was a big opportunity missed to begin to establish ourselves in the top flight - an opportunity that may not come around again for some time.
    Cardiff City are the only to have been in the Premier League for more than one season that has a 100% relegation record - staying up for a promoted club is, clearly, not as hard as we make it look.

We got up though, all fees before that don't really count in my mind. We paid most of that figure as a promotion bonus and he did help get us across the line. It's a tough one because I feel we could and should have spent the money better but those players did get us over the line so I think overall it was worth it.

It was a massive opportunity missed but who knows what could have happened if Sala made it over. We had so many holes in that side even after we "strengthened" and I use that loosely, and as Bob says, we're making it harder than it looks. However, I think it's going to become harder and harder to establish yourself as the money is getting out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Cardiff City are the only to have been in the Premier League for more than one season that has a 100% relegation record - staying up for a promoted club is, clearly, not as hard as we make it look.
    Not starting the season with a striker made it easier than it would have been. It wasn't a serious stab at staying up, in my opinion.