+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Starting line up at Wigan

Starting line up at Wigan

Flint was the only new signing to start the game and Madine was brought in for the first time after a loan spell.
    Does Warnock think his signings are not as good as what we already have ? Or is he just sticking by his players as he usually does?

Re: Starting line up at Wigan

I think it shows the lack of decent quality in the squad. Madine has not been popular here at all and yet he gets a start. The three players we paid a fee for, one was suspended and the other two on the bench. We are definitely a lot weaker than last year. Replacing Arter, Gunnarsson, Camarasa, Manga and Zohore was not going to be easy but we could have tried a bit harder. I am hopeful of Glatzel though.

Re Madine, Glatzel will surely start on Saturday, which in theory makes Danny Ward the 4th choice striker, unless Bogle was paraded with the transfer deadline in mind. No way is Ward behind those two. I can't stand Madine but do like Bogle. Give me Danny over either of them though.

I think Vaulks will start

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Flint was the only new signing to start the game and Madine was brought in for the first time after a loan spell.
    Does Warnock think his signings are not as good as what we already have ? Or is he just sticking by his players as he usually does?

No, he did exactly the right thing,( didn't work ), by trying to maintain continuity.
    You don't just chuck a load of new signings on the field or you'll have a team of strangers.
    Unfortunately as it turned out they didn't maintain the understandings they'd developed last season, which is a problem actually.

Are we now in a situation where we've got to start again ? We've got future players , but I'd have preferred that the momentum had been maintained more successfully. One more try at that ? If we do it'd have to be the same starting team.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No, he did exactly the right thing,( didn't work ), by trying to maintain continuity.
    You don't just chuck a load of new signings on the field or you'll have a team of strangers.
    Unfortunately as it turned out they didn't maintain the understandings they'd developed last season, which is a problem actually.

Are we now in a situation where we've got to start again ? We've got future players , but I'd have preferred that the momentum had been maintained more successfully. One more try at that ? If we do it'd have to be the same starting team.
    The Momentum of failure, which last season ultimately was. Putting a couple of more new players in wouldn't have affected things to much, they're professionals, i could understand your point if it was half the team, but two or three shouldn't cause a problem.

Unfortunately as it turned out they didn't maintain the understandings they'd developed last season
    I think trying to forge new understandings might be a better move after last season.

You answered no to a question to which I gave 2 possible answers.
    Strange.

I'm grateful to the poster known as Binge Thinking on here for pointing out that, by the end of Saturday's match, we had £30 million worth of players not on the pitch with none of them missing through injury - in fact, there has to be a chance that figure would have risen to £40 million with Decordova-Reid brought off if it were not for Etheridge's injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The Momentum of failure, which last season ultimately was. Putting a couple of more new players in wouldn't have affected things to much, they're professionals, i could understand your point if it was half the team, but two or three shouldn't cause a problem.
    What was the team that beat Man Utd last game? Can’t be that different can it?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    First game of last season v Bournemouth looked like this: Etheridge, L Peltier, J Bennett, S Morrison, B Ecuele Manga, S Bamba, J Ralls, N Mendez-Laing (63), D Hoilett, C Paterson (62), B Reid (88)

Subs: A Smithies, A Richards, G Cunningham, J Murphy (63), V Camarasa, D Ward (62), G Madine (88)

As you will see from my research, Reid was the only new player to start, with fellow new recruits Cunningham, Murphy and Camarasa occupying positions on the bench.

I suspect Warnock sees it as continuity.