+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A word of caution for all Vape users

A word of caution for all Vape users

One of the guys who works with me is in hospital with 3rd degree burns after his Vape exploded in his pocket and set fire to his clothes. He is in a serious condition and will need skin grafts and they are monitoring the condition of his leg which is in a really bad state. The root cause is being put down to the battery shorting (I know nothing of Vapes or their design).

I'm sure that people will trivialise this but it's a genuine warning, I've seen the photos, the injuries are horrendous and he's going to need major treatment for months to come!

Re: A word of caution for all Vape users

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    One of the guys who works with me is in hospital with 3rd degree burns after his Vape exploded in his pocket and set fire to his clothes. He is in a serious condition and will need skin grafts and they are monitoring the condition of his leg which is in a really bad state. The root cause is being put down to the battery shorting (I know nothing of Vapes or their design).

I'm sure that people will trivialise this but it's a genuine warning, I've seen the photos, the injuries are horrendous and he's going to need major treatment for months to come!
    Was it a mechanical mod without battery protection by any chance?

I would also be worried about metallic deposits causing early onset dementia

Jesus that sounds terrible. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I understand people using these short term to give up smoking but people seem to just be doing this instead of/as well as smoking. Surely long term inhaling whatever chemicals are in them cannot be good for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would also be worried about metallic deposits causing early onset dementia
    Let’s not scaremonger. Although postulated the link between metals and dementia aren’t evidenced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    Let’s not scaremonger. Although postulated the link between metals and dementia aren’t evidenced yet.
    It isn't evidenced yet in humans, but there have been studies that have shown the use of vape equipment causes dementia like symptoms in mice, with or without any nicotine present.
    Not conclusive by any means, but I would still be wary about using themq

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Good to warn people, it will all come out in the future it always does, these stupid clouds of smoke blowing crack pipes can't possibly be any good for anyone.

You've just got to follow a car with someone with the window open, it chucks out more shit than a diesel exhaust pipe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It isn't evidenced yet in humans, but there have been studies that have shown the use of vape equipment causes dementia like symptoms in mice, with or without any nicotine present.
    Not conclusive by any means, but I would still be wary about using themq
    I think people should be aware of the possibility, but that the link isn't shown (as yet). Vaping is still in its infancy really so we won't see any long term health studies for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were linked to all sorts of diseases.

An important point that Croesy brought up is that there are people who use these with no history of smoking at all. Although perceived to be healthier than smoking, and therefore can be used as an interim step between smoking and completely quitting, they surely are worse for you than being a non-smoker (evidence needed to show this) and will (hopefully) be subject to the same public health promotion interventions and messages as tobacco smoking.

As a slight aside there is quite a bit of evidence coming out linking excessive drinking with dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post

An important point that Croesy brought up is that there are people who use these with no history of smoking at all. Although perceived to be healthier than smoking, and therefore can be used as an interim step between smoking and completely quitting, they surely are worse for you than being a non-smoker (evidence needed to show this) and will (hopefully) be subject to the same public health promotion interventions and messages as tobacco smoking.
    Exactly there is no way it has zero affect on health at all. It might even be small but the amount people do it just because it's "healthier" than smoking is shocking.

It makes you look like a twat.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This has made me laugh. I'm trying to think where I could use it in any of my lectures.