+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Education

Re: Education

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    First class social science degree at Cardiff
    Masters with distinction in computing at Cardiff
    Starting a PhD history in October, also at Cardiff. And I can't wait.
    I would love to do any degree about history. Crazy how interesting it is but how much I hated it at school.

I have a degree in Physics and a Masters in a branch of physics

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    Original Redbrick or extended definition Redbrick?
    What is the extended definition? I think original for me, but didn't realise there was difference.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    What is the extended definition? I think original for me, but didn't realise there was difference.
    I think the 'extended' redbrick was when they called all the Technical colleges Universities so they could claim more people were obtaining degrees. to me redbrick is an established non - oxbridge university.

I would love to do any degree about history. Crazy how interesting it is but how much I hated it at school.

I have a degree in Physics and a Masters in a branch of physics
    I agree. I think for some people it's a subject in which you tend to get more interested later in life. And it will make a welcome change from my working life programming.
    Maybe something to bear in mind when you retire? If you are under 60 there are student loans available, or at least there are currently.

I agree. I think for some people it's a subject in which you tend to get more interested later in life. And it will make a welcome change from my working life programming.
    Maybe something to bear in mind when you retire? If you are under 60 there are student loans available, or at least there are currently.
    I think I'll definitely look into it at some point. Not sure I'd have the time with my current job but later in life definitely,

I think people get more interested and the curriculum could have been much more interesting. I suppose going to a comp with shite teachers didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think the 'extended' redbrick was when they called all the Technical colleges Universities so they could claim more people were obtaining degrees. to me redbrick is an established non - oxbridge university.
    I think redbrick always means the traditional academic universities, I haven't heard of that term being used for the former technical colleges

Same here.
    We had a shite teacher, and she loved politics, so political history (corn laws, etc) was our syllabus.

Nowadays they tend to do more relevant 20th century stuff, human rights, rise of the Nazis, etc. I would have loved to do that - or "ancient" stuff. But not the bleedin' corn laws.

Incidentally, it is often said that art is subjective.
    Well, I was pretty good at school, in fact the year before my O level I got 2nd prize in a Shell/BP painting comp for Wales &West of England.
    Then I failed the O level!
    Next year, I got second again in the comp, then retook the O level and got a grade 2 (1was highest, 7 a fail for the youngsters)

The original redbrick universities were:
    Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Bristol.

This was extended to include universities given their royal charter between 1900 and 1963:
    Aberystwyth, Bangor, Cardiff, Dundee, Hull, Trinity St David, Leicester, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Nottingham, Queen's University Belfast, Reading, Southampton, and Swansea

There are also Plate Glass universities (royal charter between 1963 and 1992) and then New Universities (ex polys etc...)

This was extended to include universities given their royal charter between 1900 and 1963:
    Aberystwyth, Bangor, Cardiff, Dundee, Hull, Trinity St David, Leicester, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Nottingham, Queen's University Belfast, Reading, Southampton, and Swansea

There are also Plate Glass universities (royal charter between 1963 and 1992) and then New Universities (ex polys etc...)
    You missed out Brunel. I went to look at it but went elsewhere.
    It really was built from red bricks!

OG red brick for me then

Wiki definition of redbrick universities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_brick_university

Major city universities established before WW1 - not Oxbridge or London - and not the post WW2 campus universities or ex-Polys.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Since you can't spell Keele I'm going for the first three
    Thumbs up smiley;

I don't need to worry about academic qualifications as I am a Lord. Of Sealand.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Yes, the latter. And in my case literally made from red brick. I think the redbricks now like to call themselves "Russell Group".

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Yes, the latter. And in my case literally made from red brick. I think the redbricks now like to call themselves "Russell Group".
    The Russell Group is different. A number of Redbricks are in the Russell Group i.e. Cardiff, but also non Redbricks such as OxBridge. Then there are Redbricks such as Swansea who aren't in the Russell Group. Confused yet?

The Russell Group is different. A number of Redbricks are in the Russell Group i.e. Cardiff, but also non Redbricks such as OxBridge. Then there are Redbricks such as Swansea who aren't in the Russell Group. Confused yet?
    If I look at the Russell group list, it contains what I think of as traditional unis. And I don't think of Swansea as redbrick. It's not to say that one is better than the other or whatever. But iny mind there are only abiut half a dozen redbricks.

God I miss uni. Doing stuff you are interested in, in your own time, with your mates. And a solid night out on offer whenever you fancy it

I went to a Russel Group uni and I'm still confused

You're supposed to still be confused WB. Means they showed you how to think - you can only come away with the certainty that you know all the answers from one of those new " universities" which used to be polytechnics or 24 hour petrol stations.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    GCEs were after my time.

I did get an S Level once, and a fork-lift truck proficiency certificate!

Incidentally, have you just put Anglia East into your profile as your location, or has it been there a while? That would make at least two prolific posters on this board with similar far right arrogant personas coming from the same place.

Maybe revealing or just teasing? I'm asking for a friend.

No, he put that there to feed the paranoia of the 7th rung intellectuals after I put East Anglia on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No, he put that there to feed the paranoia of the 7th rung intellectuals after I put East Anglia on mine.
    Really? And paranoia too? What a strange world to inhabit.