+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shocking!

Re: Shocking!

Fair enough. My point still stands though. I've given up trying to understand the US though, mental place.

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    FFS ......... Croesy JOG on
    I agree with him, it doesn’t look the same place and it isn’t the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    FFS ......... Croesy JOG on
    I'm only asking a question, if you can't answer it you don't have to.

My point stands either way, this is no way to deal with anyone. Especially a mentally ill homless person.

Unrelated but Galveston, where the photo was taken, was the birthplace of Jack Johnson, the world's first boxing heavyweight champion.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Unrelated but Galveston, where the photo was taken, was the birthplace of Jack Johnson, the world's first boxing heavyweight champion.
    I was on a ship in Galveston, went ashore on their Mardi Gras day, by time I walked in to a pub, lots of them had had quite a bit to drink, singing and dancing, basically in party mode, so I said to one local that it seemed everyone was so much more happy since Obama had become President. 'We didn't vote for that feckin' ****** down here' he replied, then went on a tirade against my tongue in cheek comment. I should imagine he's well happy with his current president.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    I was on a ship in Galveston, went ashore on their Mardi Gras day, by time I walked in to a pub, lots of them had had quite a bit to drink, singing and dancing, basically in party mode, so I said to one local that it seemed everyone was so much more happy since Obama had become President. 'We didn't vote for that feckin' ****** down here' he replied, then went on a tirade against my tongue in cheek comment. I should imagine he's well happy with his current president.
    Crazy people actually think like that in this day and age.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Gifaffe View Post
    How you view that picture depends on your agenda.

I see under-resourced police officers catching a criminal and transporting him to custody in an environmentally sound way at minimal cost to the tax payer. Guess I have no reason to be bothered about something that was banned in the USA in 1865 though.
    I know you're trolling, but I'll respond anyway for the benefit of others who may have missed the last part of your post.

The image in question is evocative of lynchings as well as slavery. Lynchings were still taking place long after the abolition of slavery in 1865.

Is it racist? I don't know. Does it look like an incredibly misjudged decision that could be perceived as being racist? Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Are 100% of people who are arrested criminals?
    Of course not, and neither are 100% of criminals arrested. You're chances of being arrested are considerably higher if you are a criminal though. The tip is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Fair enough. My point still stands though. I've given up trying to understand the US though, mental place.
    Compared to? Hong Kong? Iran? Somalia? A little dramatic based on one picture don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Is that the same town? I can't see a rope there can you? It doesn't look like he's being paraded through the street.
    There are people watching behind barriers I’d say he was being paraded.

Compared to? Hong Kong? Iran? Somalia? A little dramatic based on one picture don't you think?
    Weird, Wales-Bales was making this exact argument yesterday about gun crime.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    There are people watching behind barriers I’d say he was being paraded.
    Hasn't he just ran into a parade or something and they've grabbed him? I don't think the barriers were set up especially for his presentation

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Hasn't he just ran into a parade or something and they've grabbed him? I don't think the barriers were set up especially for his presentation
    Looks like he could be outside a court and in prison garb. Perhaps It was set up for him. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The image in question is evocative of lynchings as well as slavery. Lynchings were still taking place long after the abolition of slavery in 1865.
    That sir, is a stretch. Lynchings, on the whole, after 1865, were carried out by mobs, often dressed in sheets and usually under cover of darkness, not by two police officers in the main street in broad daylight. And prior to 1865 the majority of lynchings had white victims(horse thieves etc), so not really seeing your point.

Heisenberg

That sir, is a stretch. Lynchings, on the whole, after 1865, were carried out by mobs, often dressed in sheets and usually under cover of darkness, not by two police officers in the main street in broad daylight. And prior to 1865 the majority of lynchings had white victims(horse thieves etc), so not really seeing your point.
    Never mind then.

International

I wasn't sure so I had to check myself.
    One definition of 'playing the race card'. It would never happen on this board of course!
    The "race card" refers to an argumentative tactic in which someone tries to exploit racism or anti-racism in order to advance a position.

One may "play the race card" in order to appeal to allies who share antipathy towards a particular group. This can often be done through the use of terms that have a dog whistle effect, allowing the person playing the card to bring race into the argument without directly expressing racist sentiments.
    "RACE CARD
    One may also "play the race card" by accusing an opponent of racism without reasonable justification in order to demonize them with ad hominem attacks. It should be noted that, since racial inequality is a foundational element of many social and political systems, assumptions about race and racism are often at play in political debates even if they are not being clearly articulated at a given moment. Nonetheless, it is far from unheard of for people to inject race into disputes where it was clearly never the matter at hand."

Not sure if this definition applies here and there are probably other on the web somewhere.

Must try harder. 2/10 troll attempt.