+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Isaac Vassell in - Bobby Reid out?

Re: Isaac Vassell

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Our squad is so unbalanced. At the moment we've got four strikers, four wingers and three attacking midfielders, but only three central midfielders. We're going to be seriously underpowered in the middle of the pitch.
    I agree. It's the balance that is the issue at present. We have one right back as Warnock insists Paterson can't play there. I'm not a huge fan of Peltier and he serious restricts our tactical options by his limitations. Maybe Warnock does see Coxe as the answer there?

Enough has been said about our midfield but to be honest there is not one midfielder in our squad that makes me feel content.

There were rumours on twitter that Bobby Reid is gonna be moved on. This would be ridiculous if true but would further cement to me that this is not the type of football I will enjoy watching this season.

Our Centre backs are very similar.

Then you have the curious case of Greg Cunningham. When he was signed I wondered why we needed him. After watching him I thought he wasn't good enough for the premier league but he was obviously signed on the basis that if we do go down we have someone who has been highly rated at championship level.
    Now he looks like we're gonna sell him, so what was the point in signing him in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree. It's the balance that is the issue at present. We have one right back as Warnock insists Paterson can't play there. I'm not a huge fan of Peltier and he serious restricts our tactical options by his limitations. Maybe Warnock does see Coxe as the answer there?

Enough has been said about our midfield but to be honest there is not one midfielder in our squad that makes me feel content.

There were rumours on twitter that Bobby Reid is gonna be moved on. This would be ridiculous if true but would further cement to me that this is not the type of football I will enjoy watching this season.

Then you have the curious case of Greg Cunningham. When he was signed I wondered why we needed him. After watching him I thought he wasn't good enough for the premier league but he was obviously signed on the basis that if we do go down we have someone who has been highly rated at championship level.
    Now he looks like we're gonna sell him, so what was the point in signing him in the first place!
    Getting rid of Cunningham makes no sense to me. Who would we play at left-back if Bennett wasn't available?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I reckon he could be ok. Warnock has a habit of resurrecting players careers...
    Like who?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Like who?
    In fairness he had a quite a few players play under him at Palace and QPR who never hit the same heights again.

Is Vassel really better than either Bogle or Ward as a back up striker (or Bobby Reid as a 2nd striker). Just seems an unnecessary signing and again not an upgrade on what we already have. Another one for the bench then!

I agree, when we signed him he was highly rated but I wasn't sure where he would fit in , unless Bennett got injured. Then you sort of thought well he.s been signed in case we go back down as he's effective in the championship and now we are back here, we want rid which makes no sense at all!

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    £3m on a striker when we've got loads already, when we play 1 up front and have 3 centre mids? Yeah, I can't see why anyone is annoyed either.
    Midfielder?

https://www.worldfootball.net/player...isaac-vassell/

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC99 View Post
    £3m on a striker completely unproven at Championship level coming off the back of a serious injury. What can go wrong!
    Attacking midfielder.

23 games in championship with BCFC 2017-18 ... completely unproven ???

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I agree, when we signed him he was highly rated but I wasn't sure where he would fit in , unless Bennett got injured. Then you sort of thought well he.s been signed in case we go back down as he's effective in the championship and now we are back here, we want rid which makes no sense at all!
    I may be wrong but I thought Cunningham had a reputation for being very versatile when he signed - not just a LB but also a left CB, a LWB and also able to operate in midfield. We have used him once I think as part of a back three, and also as a LB with Bennett pushed forward of him. But those were just brief experiments, and we seem to have settled back on a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 preferred formation with no room for Cunningham if Bennett is fit.

But if he is allowed to leave who do we have who can cover Bennett? Nelson/Jazz maybe? More emergency square pegs in round holes?

He's not even given Coxe a shirt number. Our midfield is a shambles and if we sign another striker, the hierarchy must be the only ones who saw last weekend's "performance" and thought, yeah, our strikers are the problem. I can understand letting Cunningham go but we're not going to get a replacment in which seems crazy. Everything from Zohore, to Manga to Cunningham seems to have caught the club out this summer. It's been an absolute shambles of a summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Attacking midfielder.

He played off the front when I saw him, and he was in a front 2 at Luton. He is not a centre mid put it that way.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Attacking midfielder.

He's definitely a striker (it says 'centre forward' under the photo of him on that link).

I think the unproven comment is accurate. 23 games in the Championship and 1 goal... Does that sound a 'proven' Championship player to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    In fairness he had a quite a few players play under him at Palace and QPR who never hit the same heights again.
    Not really the same as resurrecting careers though, is it? I see this claim made about Warnock quite regularly, but offhand I can’t think of any examples. That’s not to say there aren’t any, but I can’t think of anyone.

Not really the same as resurrecting careers though, is it? I see this claim made about Warnock quite regularly, but offhand I can’t think of any examples. That’s not to say there aren’t any, but I can’t think of anyone.
    Taarabt immediately springs to mind. He scored nearly as many goals in his full season under Warnock than he has in the rest of his career.

Taarabt?
    Shaun Derry?
    Clint Hill?
    Bradley Orr?
    Paddy Kenny?
    Gorkks?

Were any of these any good before or after Warnock managed them?

Taarabt immediately springs to mind. He scored nearly as many goals in his full season under Warnock than he has in the rest of his career.
    Tarrabt has a good season on loan with QPR before Warnock arrived, a better one under him in 2010/11, but then a poor one in 2011/12, during which the pair fell out and Warnock was sacked.

Tarrabt has a good season on loan with QPR before Warnock arrived, a better one under him in 2010/11, but then a poor one in 2011/12, during which the pair fell out and Warnock was sacked.
    Taarabt had the best season of his career by a million miles under Warnock. Warnock deserves all the credit for that, as he's the only one that managed to get him to pull his finger out.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Taarabt?
    Shaun Derry?
    Clint Hill?
    Bradley Orr?
    Paddy Kenny?
    Gorkks?

Were any of these any good before or after Warnock managed them?
    Derry and Hill has decent careers pre-Warnock. Not sure where Orr comes into it. Paddy Kenny was long-standing favourite of Warnock’s but his career wasn’t rescued by him.

Taarabt had the best season of his career by a million miles under Warnock. Warnock deserves all the credit for that, as he's the only one that managed to get him to pull his finger out.
    Perhaps, but did Warnock ‘resurrect’ his career or did Tarrabt simply have one good season under him before the pair fell out?

Perhaps, but did Warnock ‘resurrect’ his career or did Tarrabt simply have one good season under him before the pair fell out?
    Taarabt was going nowhere, Warnock turned him into the best player in the division and then they fell out. QPR was a basket case when they went up though.

Taarabt was going nowhere, Warnock turned him into the best player in the division and then they fell out. QPR was a basket case when they went up though.
    Taarabt was a first team regular at QPR when Warnock arrived. No doubt he improved him (briefly), but the player also went backwards under Warnock. I don’t think he resurrected Taarabt’s career.

Chopra played his best football under Jones. Does that mean Jones resurrected Chopra’s career, or does it simply mean he signed him, improved him and sold him on?

If a manager signs a player who was previously decent but has gone downhill, and the manager gets the best out of him again, I’d regard that as resurrecting a career. I can’t think of anyone who’s done that under Warnock.

Is he better than what we've got?

Taarabt was a first team regular at QPR when Warnock arrived. No doubt he improved him (briefly), but the player also went backwards under Warnock. I don’t think he resurrected Taarabt’s career.

Chopra played his best football under Jones. Does that mean Jones resurrected Chopra’s career, or does it simply mean he signed him, improved him and sold him on?

If a manager signs a player who was previously decent but has gone downhill, and the manager gets the best out of him again, I’d regard that as resurrecting a career. I can’t think of anyone who’s done that under Warnock.
    Taarabt signed for Spurs, his career nose dived, Warnock got hold of him and improved him.

Also, I can't believe I've missed it: Sol Bamba.

He's not even given Coxe a shirt number. Our midfield is a shambles and if we sign another striker, the hierarchy must be the only ones who saw last weekend's "performance" and thought, yeah, our strikers are the problem. I can understand letting Cunningham go but we're not going to get a replacment in which seems crazy. Everything from Zohore, to Manga to Cunningham seems to have caught the club out this summer. It's been an absolute shambles of a summer.
    I don't think you can blame the club for taking £8 million for Zohore in the last year of his contract.

We signed Nelson before Manga left and Flint pretty soon after. You can question the suitability of the replacements, but it seems that we anticipated this happening.

I agree with everything else.

This is such an odd one, we've got several strikers and this guy's done nothing to suggest he'll knock them in for us. Warnock does do some strange things in the transfer market, been a pretty underwhelming pre season hasn't it