+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think it fair to say that Leeds and Derby are demonstrating ambition. Are any other Championships clubs doing the same?

I think it fair to say that Leeds and Derby are demonstrating ambition. Are any other Championships clubs doing the same?

Despite our “Promotion is our target” statement I don’t think we can be said to be walking the talk. Maybe that will change in the next couple of days.
    Are any other clubs doing so?
    If so, who will be successful?

Re: I think it fair to say that Leeds and Derby are demonstrating ambition. Are any other Championships clubs doing the same?

We haven't shown much ambition over the last few seasons, since Malky was given some funds to win promotion.

Re: I think it fair to say that Leeds and Derby are demonstrating ambition. Are any other Championships clubs doing the same?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Despite our “Promotion is our target” statement I don’t think we can be said to be walking the talk. Maybe that will change in the next couple of days.
    We are investing like a team promoted from league 1 who would be happy to consolidate in the championship not a team that’s been relegated from the Prem with parachute payments and looking to bounce straight back up.

We had a soft transfer embargo until a few weeks ago and since this has ended we are signing players all over the place. Whether it works out or not I have no idea but our owners are showing serious ambition. Joao signed today for around £5 million and Puskas believed to be signing tomorrow for £9 million.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Leeds have sold their best striker and best centre back for peanuts. Reminds me of someone actually .

In all seriousness, I don't think Leeds have showed anything this summer. It's been a very odd transfer window.

Finding a direct link between "football ambition" and "money spent" leads to pissed off Newcastle fans or Bury fans worried about having a club. Every football club has the ambition to get promoted but some clubs are more like Swansea are currently where their restricted budget means their ambition is on the basis of well-funded academy stepping up to produce cheap stars. Derby have had high hopes for several seasons based on money spent and got absolutely nowhere.

Leeds have a squad of sbout 19 players

I thought Derby were supposed to be fu¢ked if they didn't go up last season. What happened to that?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I thought Derby were supposed to be fu¢ked if they didn't go up last season. What happened to that?
    Supposedly 32Red are supporting Rooney’s £100k a week wages, he will wear No.32 and if you saw his interview yesterday they will maximise promotIonal activities on the back of it, the only surprise is that he hasn’t had their logo tattooed on his forehead!

Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    Supposedly 32Red are supporting Rooney’s £100k a week wages, he will wear No.32 and if you saw his interview yesterday they will maximise promotIonal activities on the back of it, the only surprise is that he hasn’t had their logo tattooed on his forehead!
    A weird one, it wasn’t that long ago he was banging on how nice it was in the states and that he could do so much he couldn’t do over here....bailing out first opportunity Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We had a soft transfer embargo until a few weeks ago and since this has ended we are signing players all over the place. Whether it works out or not I have no idea but our owners are showing serious ambition. Joao signed today for around £5 million and Puskas believed to be signing tomorrow for £9 million.
    Puskas??? We’re signing Di Stefano then 🤪

We spent most of last season preparing for the championship and we succeeded. So far I haven't seen many signs of us preparing for the Premier league. Will still be there on Saturday mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    A weird one, it wasn’t that long ago he was banging on how nice it was in the states and that he could do so much he couldn’t do over here....bailing out first opportunity Wayne
    His Mrs wanted to come home

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    We are investing like a team promoted from league 1 who would be happy to consolidate in the championship not a team that’s been relegated from the Prem with parachute payments and looking to bounce straight back up.
    We are investing like a team worried about going to league one!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Creative accounting. They sold their ground to their owner

I think Derby County are ring fenced from the ffp rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We haven't shown much ambition over the last few seasons, since Malky was given some funds to win promotion.
    Is Mr Tan , who has been extremely generous over the last few years keeping the club afloat , recuperating some of his investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Derby have lost Mason Mount and Harry Wilson, who were their best players last season and just signed a has been striker who's legs had gone two years ago. Leeds just sold their best striker for £7m with no replacement lined up yet, their best young player to Spurs for £8.5m and also sold their captain centre half earlier in the window. Leeds have signed a number of players from lower leagues on loan as well. We have probably spent more than both of them this summer. Fulham and Villa are golden examples of how not to run a club, by throwing money at it. Theres ambition and then there is stupid ambition which teams like Fulham and Villa have in spades. Our squad is now considerably better than it was two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Our squad is now considerably better than it was two years ago.
    I agree with you but I'm not sure about that. We are so light in midfield at the moment and we've got weaker at centre half too.

Derby have lost Mason Mount and Harry Wilson, who were their best players last season and just signed a has been striker who's legs had gone two years ago. Leeds just sold their best striker for £7m with no replacement lined up yet, their best young player to Spurs for £8.5m and also sold their captain centre half earlier in the window. Leeds have signed a number of players from lower leagues on loan as well. We have probably spent more than both of them this summer. Fulham and Villa are golden examples of how not to run a club, by throwing money at it. Theres ambition and then there is stupid ambition which teams like Fulham and Villa have in spades. Our squad is now considerably better than it was two years ago.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Why?
    How more like

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Creative accounting. They sold their ground to their owner

Bamba is injured and we've sold Manga. We've replaced them with the glacially slow Flint, and Nelson who is unproven at this level.

We had Bryson, Halford, Grujic, Damour and Gunnar in 17/18. We had Gunnar, Camarasa and Arter in 18/19. We've replaced them with Vaulks. That's it.

We look like we're going to lose Cunningham, so we have no left back cover.

We're stronger out wide (although if Hoilett isn't the same player that's debatable) then we're probably breaking even out wide, and we've got Bobby Reid. Our inability to see us strengthen has seen us stay the same in goal, left back is the same, Peltier will be 34 by the time the season ends, so we've gone backwards there, we've sold our best centre back, we have THREE centre mids, which is frankly laughable, three attacking mids (including Paterson), good wingers and 6 strikers. It's a mess.

Theres ambition and then there is stupid ambition which teams like Fulham and Villa have in spades. Our squad is now considerably better than it was two years ago.[/QUOTE]

I'm not negative at all about City certainly not on this board but that is plainly not true. Our midfield is threadbare Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks is not a dynamic midfield by any stretch of the imagination and if we don't add to it with some class in there (I think we need 2 players) we will not control many if any games. I honestly think Neil thinks Paterson is going to be the answer in there and whilst you cannot doubt his enthusiasm and commitment he's not exactly a dominant CM. We have pace out wide and by the looks of things with the signings of Gratzel and Vassel (if it happens) up front pace up front though we have no idea if they will find the net regularly - I think Vassel is going to be back up to Gratzel as Neil isn't going to change his tactics - there will be no room for Madine, Bogle or Ward by the looks of things as we will only play one up front

Our defence and midfield are definitely slower and we have no idea if our forwards are going to be reliable goal scorers as we haven't seen them

No panic yet as I'm hopeful for our next couple of games but this transfer window has been poor IMO

Hopefully we'll still be pushing for the playoffs this season but I can't see how you come to this conclusion