+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A bit cheated

A bit cheated

is how I feel. The blow of not really going for it last season was softened by the idea that we'd have a great Championship side if we came back down and that we could regroup and go again.

As a result, despite the disappointment of last year, I've been as excited about this season as I was about last, feeling confident that we could have a real go of it with some exciting players who have proven to be quality in the Championship.

Instead it looks like we've just gotten rid of a load of quality, and now look to be selling debatably our most talented player, who never got a chance in the team because he "doesn't fit Warnock's style of play." Warnock that is, who's leaving after this season.

Maybe I am being negative but my enthusiasm levels for this season have plummeted in the last couple of hours. Hopefully the Bobby Reid rumours are bullshit though!

Re: A bit cheated

If Reid had stayed it would have been a solid but unexciting window for you. Selling Reid to a rival is very poor

Exactly how I feel. I'm being childish here, but it's like I had nothing for my birthday because mum said we're saving for a decent christmas, was hoping for a playstation and got a shitty master system, not only that but she's binned my ****ing megadrive for no apparent reason.

Just hoping Bobby fails a medical or something - seriously disillusioned with the club today.

I'd agree with that. All summer I've been confident that we would finish top 4 and push for automatic, right now I think we'll do well to finish half way. I think cheated is the right description, misled is another. It feels like the club has deliberately taken a massive step backwards.

Arter
    Camarasa
    Gunnarsson
    Zohore
    Reid
    Manga

I feel deflated too.

I was hoping for a well planned window where we started the season in a much better place than we ended the promotion season. My gut feeling is that we have gone backwards - although that is before we get a chance to see and weigh up some of the new signings.

I don't mind Ken leaving for a good fee - he flattered to deceive for too long - but losing Bruno and Bobby has taken skill and pace out of the team. We have four solid CMs and three or four commanding but slow CBs. We have lost cover at fullback and Warnock seems to be banking on Curtis Nelson to cover the whole backline and do an occasional job in midfield (with a little help from Jazz when and if he's fit). Our wing options are good. Our keepers are good (once Etheridge is fit again) and we have a load of lumps up top, some of whome (Gratzel, Bogle....maybe Vessell) could be good.

The wild-cards and enigmas remain Tomlin and Paterson - if and where they play. I see Danny Ward is showing on the club website first team pages - Gary Medine isn't.

Overall it feels like an opportunity missed. It doesn't feel like a promotion winning squad - especially when you see how other teams expected to be at the top have strengthened. We have trod water at best - but probably gone backwards.

Massive pressure on Warnock now, huge game Saturday already. If things don’t go well he could be gone by September after this window....

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I'd agree with that. All summer I've been confident that we would finish top 4 and push for automatic, right now I think we'll do well to finish half way. I think cheated is the right description, misled is another. It feels like the club has deliberately taken a massive step backwards.

Arter
    Camarasa
    Gunnarsson
    Zohore
    Reid
    Manga
    Only manga and Reid really, and manga asked to leave.....gunners had his day and the other two weren’t ours....very deflating though, I thought, stupidly, theyd be right up for another crack.winning at Old Trafford seems a world away again and we could have had that same team almost

For all his bluster I've long thought that Warnock is a yes man where Tan is concerned, this looks like a fire sale on Tan's instruction.

However you look at it, it's impossible to see how this transfer window equates to having a right go at it isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    However you look at it, it's impossible to see how this transfer window equates to having a right go at it isn't it.
    There was no intention to give us a chance of staying up last season and it's obvious that it's about surviving on meagre resources this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There was no intention to give us a chance of staying up last season and it's obvious that it's about surviving on meagre resources this season.
    If that is the case, why is Warnock taking the stick?

What a deflating summer this has been as a Cardiff City fan. Okay its not the fire sale we experienced when Kavanagh was taken by helicopter to Wigan, but still for a football club that states its aiming for promotion this season and a manager who apparently only stayed to secure promotion, other than the unknown quantity that is Glatzel, every other player Cardiff have signed fails to inspire any confidence that this is a team building for a shot at promotion.

Literally every other signing has been a number one target. For them to peddle that line for Pack is laughable. An 11th hour signing for a player in a position Cardiff desperately needed to fresh faces in for less than a million. We all know this was a panic buy. All the best to him but this either proves Cardiff are not capable of attracting quality players or take an eternity to get a deal over the line. And I think its the former.

I stand by my original opinion posted a few months back. I feel keeping Warnock on has delayed Cardiff transitioning on to the next phase by another 12 months. When one of Cardiff's attacking players who we all had high hopes could offer something this season goes on loan to a promotion rival, the signal that this sends to us fans is that this is a club that is not realistically building a squad for a shot at promotion.

So underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    For all his bluster I've long thought that Warnock is a yes man where Tan is concerned, this looks like a fire sale on Tan's instruction.
    And if it is?

For years our fans have been rattling on about being sensible and getting the finances back in check

We intended to complete our record signing to give us a chance last season in fairness.

If that is the case why did Warnock stay? The only positive I took from NW staying another year was I thought that it meant we were going to give promotion a good go. Otherwise why would he chose to stay another year?

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    If that is the case why did Warnock stay? The only positive I took from NW staying another year was I thought that it meant we were going to give promotion a good go. Otherwise why would he chose to stay another year?
    Maybe because his speciality is surviving on meagre resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post

Arter
    Camarasa
    Gunnarsson
    Zohore
    Reid
    Manga
    Think that Smithies would've been added to that list aswell if Etheridge hadn't got injured at the weekend.

No. It's not how I'd have gone about it but I can see what's in Sir Neil's mind and he's the one calling the shots.
    I think he's going for blood and thunder Route One football , which he's found successful in this league .

I'm guessing that Bobby Reid wasn't doing it the Warnock way, which explains why he wasn't getting enough starts last year.

He's assembled a brute force crew and that's obviously how he's going to play it. Well, we might not like it and it won't be pretty or artistic but it often works , especially in the Championship.
    I'm no longer as confident as I was that we can blow this league away, but I think it could still happen - just in a different way.
    Only time will tell , and Sir Neil will carry the can either way, but I'm still confident in his decision making and we're stuck with it now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No. It's not how I'd have gone about it but I can see what's in Sir Neil's mind and he's the one calling the shots.
    I think he's going for blood and thunder Route One football , which he's found successful in this league .

I'm guessing that Bobby Reid wasn't doing it the Warnock way, which explains why he wasn't getting enough starts last year.

He's assembled a brute force crew and that's obviously how he's going to play it. Well, we might not like it and it won't be pretty or artistic but it often works , especially in the Championship.
    I'm no longer as confident as I was that we can blow this league away, but I think it could still happen - just in a different way.
    Only time will tell , and Sir Neil will carry the can either way, but I'm still confident in his decision making and we're stuck with it now anyway.
    Sir Jim, you're doing it again; getting ahead of yourself that is. Neil Warnock has NOT yet been knighted.