+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reid. He came, he failed to make an impact, he went.

Reid. He came, he failed to make an impact, he went.

So, he was given limited chances to play. The argument being that space couldn’t be found for him and Camarasa.
    When he did play there were memorable moments but they were few.
    With Camarasa going, he was seen as the new lynch pin. His time had come.
    But somewhere along the line it hadn’t. He wanted away.

So why was he signed in the first place? Why did NW buy a player for £10.44m that he was reluctant to play. Was it that he had made a mistake in signing him or that Reid just didn’t deliver enough.
    When NW said after the Wigan match that the game had ‘confirmed his thoughts’ or something to that effect was he referring to Reid or something else?

And why did he want to go?

I’m sorry that he didn’t get his chance, but also feel that he needed to do more when he did.
    I think it very disruptive and disappointing to be losing supposed first team players at this stage ...but it seems he wanted to go, whatever the reason behind that may be.

He is not our biggest loss. I just hope that we didn’t lose money on him.

I also hope Pack proves to be a better buy from Bristol City than Reid and Tomlin have been.

I’m sure somebody can find the quotes of Reid and NW when he signed for us.

Re: Reid. He came, he failed to make an impact, he went.

NW actually said it answered "one or two questions"

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    NW actually said it answered "one or two questions"
    Missed out on a good player there,I like Nw, but to offload Reid beggars belief

I was hoping those questions that were answered were how inept our defence was at coping with teams with a bit of pace and in turn how shite our midfield were at helping them out.

So, he was given limited chances to play. The argument being that space couldn’t be found for him and Camarasa.

So why was he signed in the first place? Why did NW buy a player for £10.44m that he was reluctant to play. Was it that he had made a mistake in signing him or that Reid just didn’t deliver enough.
    When NW said after the Wigan match that the game had ‘confirmed his thoughts’ or something to that effect was he referring to Reid or something else?

I’m sorry that he didn’t get his chance, but also feel that he needed to do more when he did.
    I think it very disruptive and disappointing to be losing supposed first team players at this stage ...but it seems he wanted to go, whatever the reason behind that may be.

I also hope Pack proves to be a better buy from Bristol City than Reid and Tomlin have been.

That's an excellent post. Sometimes things don't fit , and maybe this was the case here. It's a pity really that Tomlin wasn't sent off somewhere before things got to the stage they did, and so perhaps this is the best thing for the club and the player.

We can afford to lose Reid as we have plenty of other forwards. But we need a signing like pack to bolster the midfield. A year long loan seems odd though?

It all seems odd to be honest .
    As I said there, I can only think there were some problems we don't know about going on in private .

I don’t think that Reid was ever considered for Camarasa’s position - they are two quite different players who play in different positions.

That said, Camarasa is twice the player that Reid is.

Reid just didn’t deliver and so I’m not too sorry to see him go.

If it was a case of Pack coming in or Reid staying, then Warnock made the right decision I reckon.

I can't say that anything about Bobby Decordova-Reid was surprising - he was always a smaller player with football intelligence and good skills - from the time he arrived to today which beggars the question: if Warnock has discovered after 2 years that he doesn't fit into Warnock's chosen 11 then what was the point in spending so much money on him in the first place? Especially after we'd pretty much failed to fit Tomlin into the side the season before.

I felt Reid had some nice tricks and would I guess exploit lower opposition .

For me he looked out of place in the Premiership.

He was with Bristol for 7 years , played 135 games, scored 26 goals ( 19 of them in a single season 17/18)

Season before that was 30 games 3 goals .

So quite a barren striker from 2010 to 2017 .

All his fame came in one year

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

He was with Bristol for 7 years , played 135 games, scored 26 goals ( 19 of them in a single season 17/18)

The first year he played fully as a striker.

Funny that, in a team that barely plays football, some are suggesting that a natural footballer doesn't fit in. Surprise, that....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Reid just didn’t deliver and so I’m not too sorry to see him go.
    Joint top-scorer with 5 goals last season. Despite being given limited chances, he scored more than Paterson, more than Murphy, more than Hoilett, and more than Zohore, Madine, Ward and Niasse put together. That was in the Premier League.

The last time Reid was in the Championship (17/18) he scored 19 goals. That same season, City's top scorer (Paterson) hit 10 goals.

He was overpriced scored 5 goals and most of all he wanted to go.
    So Tara i say.

Should have buried that chance at Wigan last week !!!

My granny could have scored that and she’s been dead 65 years

He was playing in midfield before the season he was pushed into a more attacking midfield role and got the goals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Joint top-scorer with 5 goals last season. Despite being given limited chances, he scored more than Paterson, more than Murphy, more than Hoilett, and more than Zohore, Madine, Ward and Niasse put together. That was in the Premier League.

The last time Reid was in the Championship (17/18) he scored 19 goals. That same season, City's top scorer (Paterson) hit 10 goals.
    Logic is wasted on here.

Yes because so many of our players looked at home in the Premier League that not one of them got a move back there

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes because so many of our players looked at home in the Premier League that not one of them got a move back there
    Cams did can’t spell Camerarta or whatever his name was

I thought he was one of the few that looked like he belonged. Our best performances last season more often than not involved Reid playing well. Arsenal away, Bournemouth at home, we looked a very good side. He also played well with Camarasa, who obviously belongs at that level.

Bobby Reid hasn't changed so why does Warnock sign these players when they don't fit in with what he's trying to do?

I suppose the risk was that If he stayed and had a poor championship season, no one would want him for anywhere near £10m and it would go down as a bad investment. At least now it will go down as a gamble that didn’t pay off, but didn’t see us lose out financially

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Cams did can’t spell Camerarta or whatever his name was
    He’s not our player

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I thought he was one of the few that looked like he belonged. Our best performances last season more often than not involved Reid playing well. Arsenal away, Bournemouth at home, we looked a very good side. He also played well with Camarasa, who obviously belongs at that level.

Bobby Reid hasn't changed so why does Warnock sign these players when they don't fit in with what he's trying to do?
    And not just once either. How many players has he signed and not used?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

I think that may be unfair on Warnock. I know he can spin things with the best of them but I did get the impression he intended to give Bobby Reid a big role this season. From his pre-Luton interview this morning:

"There’s bound to be consternation, you can’t blame fans for that. About three weeks ago, I had a call from his agent saying ‘hypothetically if we got a big bid would you consider it’. I said no, I am building a team around him. About 10 days two weeks later, he asked again and asked if I’d considered it. So I knew something was bubbling beneath the surface.

“As it turns out it was Fulham he had his heart set on. You know how my teams are built, if a player’s heart is not in it, you can’t keep them. If anyone wants to leave my club they always can, and I’m not going to change now.

“I was very disappointed but agents are agents. Unless the player moves they don’t get paid. It’s one of those things, I was very disappointed with the way the agent went about it. I was disappointed to be honest how Bobby played in pre-season.

It came from his agent and that’s how the ball got rolling. I asked him and he said he would prefer to go to Fulham. They are everyone’s favourites to go up, it doesn’t always work like that as we will hopefully prove.”

It's clear the system is more important than the players. I understand that.

Reid is a good player just wasn't right at this time for this system.

What I don't understand is where's the planning for when Warnock retires. Why are we not lining up a successor already?

I can see a mass clear out when Warnock goes, and then a dreadful year next year.

My only thought is a asset strip before a club sale?