+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Simple question regarding Warnock

Simple question regarding Warnock

Now he's done his best to remove our best players during the transfer window, what possible benefit is our long ball game going to be to the new manager who eventually takes over? Promotion is a dead duck and Warnock has said he'll finish if that is the case, so what building for the future have we actually done. The answer is none. That's why we went down in the first place.

Re: Simple question regarding Warnock

Is Reid our best player? I've seen that repeated several times now but what are we judging that on?

Walesonline has put up a proposed team-sheet for this year with the suggestion that Warnock is going classic Warnock this year. I don't see that getting us promoted and I don't see us getting 18,000 season tickets in the Championship next year. However, I do think Glatzel, Whyte and Nelson are players who will be judged as successes once they start playing.

Well I dont think he always does play long ball .

Yes he uses the tactic , he doesn't do possession sideways footy , in his own half , he uses quick methods to move the ball forward via wingers, and likes full backs to push on and interchange .

He uses penalty box threats with height and muscle ,via corners and long throw in's .

We simply cant afford top end ball carriers that play ticky tack football,if we did we would still be in the Premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well I dont think he always does play long ball
    Yet his Cardiff teams have always been at or near the top teams in the division for long passing percentage. His other teams before.

The key word is (always ) I think it's unfair to label it as just long ball .

Anyway , lots were cheering from the rafters, when it dragged us up last time .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Now he's done his best to remove our best players during the transfer window, what possible benefit is our long ball game going to be to the new manager who eventually takes over? Promotion is a dead duck and Warnock has said he'll finish if that is the case, so what building for the future have we actually done. The answer is none. That's why we went down in the first place.
    I've been reading all the hysteria posted on here in the last couple of days, most of which just reminded me that it was always this way when we sold someone who might vaguely be thought OK but wasn't really, but I'd expected better than our resident statto to go around making things up.

Which of our 'best' players has he done his best to remove then? Bobby Reid who flattered to deceive while he was here - perhaps, but it is equally as likely that Bobby wanted to go. Zohore? He did at least have a purple patch but I think given his record over the past two years we have done well to sell him when we did. Harris? Remotely possible, but he never seemed to quite have what was needed to deserve the tag of 'best' and a move probably suited both parties.

All the others who have left were out of Warnock's control. We can then come to players who might still leave - Tomlin and Bogle might make a case for another look but neither have shown themselves to be our best players when given the chance, despite what we think their potential may be.

We can all be disappointed not to have got a star player in on loan - someone to make the place buzz in anticipation - but in the last 3 years I've enjoyed watching the players Warnock puts his faith in more than anything I have seen since Dave Jones days. Let's give his latest picks the chance to show he can still spot a player before writing them off shall we?

The last thing I find incredible is that anyone would think that NW would choose to deliberately pick a crap squad for what could easily be his last season as a manager. We may disagree with his signings and methods but I'd back his judgement of a player over anyone posting on this board any day.

Promotion is a dead duck
    This is a bit dramatic in fairness

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    This is a bit dramatic in fairness
    A BIT dramatic????

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think that the squad that we have now is stronger than the one that got us promoted last time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I've been reading all the hysteria posted on here in the last couple of days, most of which just reminded me that it was always this way when we sold someone who might vaguely be thought OK but wasn't really, but I'd expected better than our resident statto to go around making things up.

Which of our 'best' players has he done his best to remove then? Bobby Reid who flattered to deceive while he was here - perhaps, but it is equally as likely that Bobby wanted to go. Zohore? He did at least have a purple patch but I think given his record over the past two years we have done well to sell him when we did. Harris? Remotely possible, but he never seemed to quite have what was needed to deserve the tag of 'best' and a move probably suited both parties.

All the others who have left were out of Warnock's control. We can then come to players who might still leave - Tomlin and Bogle might make a case for another look but neither have shown themselves to be our best players when given the chance, despite what we think their potential may be.

We can all be disappointed not to have got a star player in on loan - someone to make the place buzz in anticipation - but in the last 3 years I've enjoyed watching the players Warnock puts his faith in more than anything I have seen since Dave Jones days. Let's give his latest picks the chance to show he can still spot a player before writing them off shall we?

The last thing I find incredible is that anyone would think that NW would choose to deliberately pick a crap squad for what could easily be his last season as a manager. We may disagree with his signings and methods but I'd back his judgement of a player over anyone posting on this board any day.
    I’d agree. Whether it will work again we don’t know but I think he’s trying to build the type of squad he thinks can challenge again and that has served him well in the past. Whether we like his approach or not some of the hostility is OTT imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I think that the squad that we have now is stronger than the one that got us promoted last time around.
    Gunnarsson - not adequately replaced. Manga - not adequately replaced. Zohore - not adequately replaced.

We knew our centre midfield was being ripped apart at the end of last season yet it took us until the last moments of the window to bring in a second centre midfielder. I imagine Vaulks has to start next time around but the fact he didn't start against Wigan concerns me. If Vaulks and Pack prove not to be regular starters, then we're weaker in that area than 2 seasons ago. There's no suggestion that either adequately replace Gunnarsson, either.

Up front we're pinning a lot of hope on our new 2nd tier German striker and Vassell. Add Ward, Bogle and Marine to the mix. 5 average strikers vying for one position. A half-arsed Zohore, when he could be bothered, was streets ahead of the last 3.

Centre defence has become more of a problem, not least partly because of our centre midfield failings, but with age as well.

Dave Jones had one tactic when our centre midfield didn't perform - launch projectiles to a target man. We have the same tactic - long to a striker or Mendez-Laing. 2 years ago it caught teams out. Now it's more predictable and teams will be expecting it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post

The last paragraph regarding Warnock's judgement is interesting. In my opinion his judgement when buying players is questionable. 10m for Reid, when as you say he is not his type of player? 6m for Madine, for what? 3.5m for Cunningham who hardly saw the pitch on a match day.
    Warnock has many attributes, but some big downsides. Ive enjoyed his time with us and he has done much to make the club and fans united. But I see no future with him nor he with us.

I wanted Warnock gone the moment relegation was guaranteed.

There is almost nothing positive to be gained from keeping him around for "one last year" farewell tour jolly. It's self serving and detrimental to the club. I won't be giving the club any money until he's no longer the manager. I've just had enough of the guy and everything that comes with him.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    I wanted Warnock gone the moment relegation was guaranteed.

There is almost nothing positive to be gained from keeping him around for "one last year" farewell tour jolly. It's self serving and detrimental to the club. I won't be giving the club any money until he's no longer the manager. I've just had enough of the guy and everything that comes with him.
    I understand where your sentiment is coming from but it's a tad over dramatic.

There is logic in why the board chose to support Warnock for another campaign. He achieved an average of 1.77 pts a game from 81 matches as a manager of Cardiff in the Championship. That's promotion challenging form. He's proven to be successful at this level so the board stuck by him.

Despite me saying that, I also wanted to part ways with Warnock at the end of last season. Central midfield required an overhaul and entrusting mass first team player recruitment each receiving 3-4 year contracts to a short term manager was something the board should have looked to avoid.

No matter what is achieved this season, this is a squad made up of quite a few new faces and someone will eventually inherit this Warnock team. It has set the club back 12 months from moving in.

There are still 45 games to go so anything can happen but like many others I am underwhelmed by Cardiff's performance during this window. Losing Reid is understandable due to the fact that he's ineffective in a Warnock team, Paterson was always likely to be the starting CAM for this season. However it does bring into question why Warnock advocated buying Reid in the first place, and how since Taarabt seems incapable of managing ball playing CAM.

No one is likely to accept or stomach the fact that this is a team that has been built to challenge for promotion. There doesn't appear to be any signing other than the unknown Glatzel to really be excited about. It appears we're in for a season of bulldoze football, it was effective 2 years ago, could still be effective now, but by God its definitely shit to watch.

I think the talk of the new manager is premature.

Who is that man, what style of football is he going to play, what players would he like. Its impossible to say, and its impossible for Warnock to act for this unknown new man.

In reality it is best for a new manager to come in with a clear deck, it could be the case that Reid could return and the next manager might not fancy him either.

Well I dont think he always does play long ball .

Yes he uses the tactic , he doesn't do possession sideways footy , in his own half , he uses quick methods to move the ball forward via wingers, and likes full backs to push on and interchange .

He uses penalty box threats with height and muscle ,via corners and long throw in's .

We simply cant afford top end ball carriers that play ticky tack football,if we did we would still be in the Premiership.
    Spot on.

The key word is (always ) I think it's unfair to label it as just long ball .

Anyway , lots were cheering from the rafters, when it dragged us up last time .
    Full backs push on and interchange? Peltier is not allowed to cross the half way line and Bennett rarely gets forward either even though he is capable.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    I understand where your sentiment is coming from but it's a tad over dramatic.
    It's the internet, everything's always over-dramatic on here.

I've just had enough of Warnock and his "Warnock-isms", as it were. It's the same thing when Fat Sam gets your team out of the shit but you don't want him hanging round too long 'cos he does more damage than good.

And you know (if by some miracle) Cardiff go up he'll be "aww, go on then, I'll give the Premier League one more crack!".

I've missed Eric being a drama queen, he used to be on fire with his whinging during the Dave Jones' years

Nice to see a return to form, he's been far too chilled.