+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Transfer Deadline Day Opinion:

CardiffCitySince1927

Transfer Deadline Day Opinion:

I know my opinion counts as nothing but this forum has gone hysterical so needs a bit of calming down.
    We lost Gunnarsson. Gunnarsson has been our second best player this decade (behind Whitts). It’s not going to be the same without him and it hasn’t been. Against Wigan, Gunnars would’ve calmed the squad down and settled us when we gave the penalty away. Against Nice, we looked awful in the middle of the park with no one on the pitch to recognise that we needed to put our foot on the ball. That didn’t happen. Pack looks to be the needed replacement of Gunnarsson so that is a very good signing in my opinion.

Reid leaving is an interesting one. I am a firm Warnock lover and this tested me. Bobby Reid and Warnock are opposites of the spectrum. One is a 70 year old who tactically nuances the league with a team that could give basketball teams a run for their money while the other is a 26 year old who grew up playing street football in Bristol and is brought up in the tiki-taka football dream of the Bristol Academy. It was an obvious transfer. Bristol to Cardiff, he doesn’t even have to move house and he stays with his family. Him and Camarasa were different types of players who were in the same position. One is a short fast number 10, the other was a lynchpin linking together the midfield and attack. Camarasa was obviously the better player; even against the stats of Reid. Reid wasn’t happy here, he didn’t originally settle. He scored 5 in 29, and played in a number of positions with the only one fitting him was in a different game plan to what we played. He scored two against Bournemouth but Warnock “only picked those who were ready after the Sala incident” for Arsenal and Bournemouth. His other goal that mattered came against Fulham where he finished a lucky chance. Hos other goals were neat finishes against: Palace (after he missed a vital chance to keep us up which no one mentions!); Watford, when we were 3-1 down. The empitomising moment was that Fulham game with Rhys Healey coming on before him. In the championship, under Warnock’s style he looked utterly clueless against Wigan failing to adapt to his Warnock’s defining style. Even after a year and a bit here. He had a poor pre-season, and obviously needs to move on. Unfortunately he is going to promotion rivals Fulham but they have 15 players in midfield/attack how much of an affect will he have? He wants to go to somewhere which plays the shitty-taka style which Fulham plays. He wanted to leave. We weren’t gonna keep a player if he couldn’t be bothered to play for us. That’s not Warnock’s style of player.

I’ve seen people complain and ask for Warnock’s head, but it simply boils down to a single question. Do we trust Warnock?

Personally, I do. A man who has been in football for over 50 years knows how to deal with this. He also has 2 assistant managers who have at least 20 years and a young manager being pruned for the managers role (and let alone Bamba)

We are playing a style which Warnock knows is extremely effective in this league. Pack fits in perfectly and strengthen the squad to no end. To be honest, Reid plays in position which we have many... Paterson and Tomlin can both play in that position.

Of all the things that happened today, this is one that isn’t disconcerting. Stop the panic. It’ll be OK.

Re: Transfer Deadline Day Opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    I know my opinion counts as nothing but this forum has gone hysterical so needs a bit of calming down.
    We lost Gunnarsson. Gunnarsson has been our second best player this decade (behind Whitts). It’s not going to be the same without him and it hasn’t been. Against Wigan, Gunnars would’ve calmed the squad down and settled us when we gave the penalty away. Against Nice, we looked awful in the middle of the park with no one on the pitch to recognise that we needed to put our foot on the ball. That didn’t happen. Pack looks to be the needed replacement of Gunnarsson so that is a very good signing in my opinion.

Reid leaving is an interesting one. I am a firm Warnock lover and this tested me. Bobby Reid and Warnock are opposites of the spectrum. One is a 70 year old who tactically nuances the league with a team that could give basketball teams a run for their money while the other is a 26 year old who grew up playing street football in Bristol and is brought up in the tiki-taka football dream of the Bristol Academy. It was an obvious transfer. Bristol to Cardiff, he doesn’t even have to move house and he stays with his family. Him and Camarasa were different types of players who were in the same position. One is a short fast number 10, the other was a lynchpin linking together the midfield and attack. Camarasa was obviously the better player; even against the stats of Reid. Reid wasn’t happy here, he didn’t originally settle. He scored 5 in 29, and played in a number of positions with the only one fitting him was in a different game plan to what we played. He scored two against Bournemouth but Warnock “only picked those who were ready after the Sala incident” for Arsenal and Bournemouth. His other goal that mattered came against Fulham where he finished a lucky chance. Hos other goals were neat finishes against: Palace (after he missed a vital chance to keep us up which no one mentions!); Watford, when we were 3-1 down. The empitomising moment was that Fulham game with Rhys Healey coming on before him. In the championship, under Warnock’s style he looked utterly clueless against Wigan failing to adapt to his Warnock’s defining style. Even after a year and a bit here. He had a poor pre-season, and obviously needs to move on. Unfortunately he is going to promotion rivals Fulham but they have 15 players in midfield/attack how much of an affect will he have? He wants to go to somewhere which plays the shitty-taka style which Fulham plays. He wanted to leave. We weren’t gonna keep a player if he couldn’t be bothered to play for us. That’s not Warnock’s style of player.

I’ve seen people complain and ask for Warnock’s head, but it simply boils down to a single question. Do we trust Warnock?

Personally, I do. A man who has been in football for over 50 years knows how to deal with this. He also has 2 assistant managers who have at least 20 years and a young manager being pruned for the managers role (and let alone Bamba)

We are playing a style which Warnock knows is extremely effective in this league. Pack fits in perfectly and strengthen the squad to no end. To be honest, Reid plays in position which we have many... Paterson and Tomlin can both play in that position.

Of all the things that happened today, this is one that isn’t disconcerting. Stop the panic. It’ll be OK.

Ouch!.. that middle paragraph was hard on the eyes.

You really don't know much about Marlon Pack, do you?

As I posted in a separate thread about the player - Pack is the one player that Bristol City fans have been crying out to be dropped/sold for the last 2 seasons. Now you might ask have I seen him play recently? The answer to that is.. NO. However, hardly a day goes by whereby I don't peruse their forum (otib), I'm actually a member as it happens.
    I will take the opinions of the majority of Bristol fans who say he is poor in midfield for them, they watch him week in-week out. He's slow and misses tackles too often. If you think that his signing has strengthened the squad then keep dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

As I posted in a separate thread about the player - Pack is the one player that Bristol City fans have been crying out to be dropped/sold for the last 2 seasons. Now you might ask have I seen him play recently? The answer to that is.. NO. However, hardly a day goes by whereby I don't peruse their forum (otib), I'm actually a member as it happens.
    I will take the opinions of the majority of Bristol fans who say he is poor in midfield for them, they watch him week in-week out. He's slow and misses tackles too often. If you think that his signing has strengthened the squad then keep dreaming.
    Looking at the thread on him leaving on there opinion of their fans seem much more divided than you are saying.

Seem to remember Leeds fans being pretty scathing when Bamba joined us.

And threads about Gunnarson on here and other city boards were also pretty divided

Perhaps I can suggest you give him a chance???

The Gunnar was no world beater when he wasn't injured or wasn't putting his country before his club.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Looking at the thread on him leaving on there opinion of their fans seem much more divided than you are saying.

And threads about Gunnarson on here and other city boards were also pretty divided

Fair enough. I confess that my post was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. I woke up expecting some good news in the transfer market and instead discovered we'd bought Marlon Pack. Maybe I was overly critical of him, as you say, some of the posts on their forum were quite complimentary towards him.

I will give him a chance and hope he proves me wrong.

Bristol fans were happy for him to leave because he doesn"t suit the "tikka takka" style of football they are trying to play.
    We don"t play that style of football.
    I think that he will suit us & our style of play.
    Reid didn"t want to be here & had only scored 5 goals, I really dont think that he will be missed TBH.
    I am a bit underwhelmed by this transfer windows signings as I would have liked to have seen a proven goal scorer at this level bought, or a prem goal scorer brought in on loan, plus a quick defender.
    Although not a brilliant transfer window I don"t think that it has been a total disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Bristol fans were happy for him to leave because he doesn"t suit the "tikka takka" style of football they are trying to play.
    We don"t play that style of football.
    I think that he will suit us & our style of play.
    Reid didn"t want to be here & had only scored 5 goals, I really dont think that he will be missed TBH.
    I am a bit underwhelmed by this transfer windows signings as I would have liked to have seen a proven goal scorer at this level bought, or a prem goal scorer brought in on loan, plus a quick defender.
    Although not a brilliant transfer window I don"t think that it has been a total disaster.
    100% this. He's a player whose work goes largely unnoticed. There were many on here calling for Gunnars to be dropped and it was only when we he wasn't playing we could see what a gulf he left.

I really do think our first team (if we can avoid injury) is really nicely balanced - and Pack could turn out to be the glue that sticks the midfield and defence together.

Let's also not forget that he and Flint will know each others game inside out which will be really important in settling both players in quickly.

Looking at the transfer window as a whole, I don't think it has been too bad overall. It doesn't get the pulse racing for sure but it's certainly not a disaster. We've got a pretty strong squad for this level.

One concern for me is we seem to have lost pace in the team at the back. I've not seen Curtis Fleming play but hoping he can inject a bit of speed there. We looked very exposed against Wigan, would have liked to have seen a couple of young pacey full backs brought in.

Another is it feels like the club are taking a short term approach as apposed to last season where the signings seemed to point to a future after Warnock. I think this is why many fans are dissapointed that we are letting Reid go just after one season (even if the player isn't happy). We have bought very Warnock'esque players this window so the worry is how many will suit his successor next season? Will we be starting from scratch again?

Still feel pretty confident about this season, I don't think we will get promoted automatically but we should put up a decent play off challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Unicorn! View Post
    Looking at the transfer window as a whole, I don't think it has been too bad overall. It doesn't get the pulse racing for sure but it's certainly not a disaster. We've got a pretty strong squad for this level.

One concern for me is we seem to have lost pace in the team at the back. I've not seen Curtis Fleming play but hoping he can inject a bit of speed there. We looked very exposed against Wigan, would have liked to have seen a couple of young pacey full backs brought in.

Another is it feels like the club are taking a short term approach as apposed to last season where the signings seemed to point to a future after Warnock. I think this is why many fans are dissapointed that we are letting Reid go just after one season (even if the player isn't happy). We have bought very Warnock'esque players this window so the worry is how many will suit his successor next season? Will we be starting from scratch again?

Still feel pretty confident about this season, I don't think we will get promoted automatically but we should put up a decent play off challenge.
    Without looking it up I think Curtis Fleming was a youngster who played for us some time ago when we were a terrible side! you mean Curtis Nelson, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Without looking it up I think Curtis Fleming was a youngster who played for us some time ago when we were a terrible side! you mean Curtis Nelson, yes?
    Had the old Middlesbrough full back in my head! A top Curtis I would say.

Had the old Middlesbrough full back in my head! A top Curtis I would say.
    Ah yes I just remembered it was Hayden Fleming who played for us, not Curtis Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    That confused me too! But yes, Nelson is by far the quickest centre half we have at the club but I can't imagine he's going to get a lot of game time this year. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we saw him more at right back than centre back this season.

At last, some balanced opinion. I agree with those who can see what a player like Pack could do for our team. He is exactly what we need to replace Gunnar. He will knit the team together - he can take a ball from the back four and find a pass - isn't that what we have been saying we need? Johnson may be wanting to go in a different direction with his squad now (which seems very risky to me - £9m on a teenager in a very inexperienced MF) but, as with us and Gunnar, I think BCFC will only see what Pack gave that team, once he's gone. Plus, if the cost of less than £1m is true for an experienced player (and captain material) is true - it's an absolute steal!

Bobby Reid going did surprise me but I am not that disappointed. He didn't fit our style of play at all and he was given a chance. Some people seem to think we should change our way of playing to suit one or two talented players but that just ins't going to happen with Warnock in charge. We will be as difficult to play against this year as we were two seasons ago. Reid obviously didn't want to be here and wants to play a different way - fine. Sometimes players can adapt to a new way of playing and sometimes they can't. The Reid experiment didn't pay off and we've let him go (with the option of him coming back if/when things change). It's a win-win.

Yes, I hoped for more incomings but we can still bring in loans or frees and, from the sale of Reid and Zohore, we can afford the wages to attract some quality.

Onwards and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

Exactly like Bamba, he is a Warnock player, along with with Vassell, Glatzel, white, Nelson, Flint the rest of the League are going to dread having to play us!

Quote Originally Posted by El Horno View Post
    At last, some balanced opinion. I agree with those who can see what a player like Pack could do for our team. He is exactly what we need to replace Gunnar. He will knit the team together - he can take a ball from the back four and find a pass - isn't that what we have been saying we need? Johnson may be wanting to go in a different direction with his squad now (which seems very risky to me - £9m on a teenager in a very inexperienced MF) but, as with us and Gunnar, I think BCFC will only see what Pack gave that team, once he's gone. Plus, if the cost of less than £1m is true for an experienced player (and captain material) is true - it's an absolute steal!

Bobby Reid going did surprise me but I am not that disappointed. He didn't fit our style of play at all and he was given a chance. Some people seem to think we should change our way of playing to suit one or two talented players but that just ins't going to happen with Warnock in charge. We will be as difficult to play against this year as we were two seasons ago. Reid obviously didn't want to be here and wants to play a different way - fine. Sometimes players can adapt to a new way of playing and sometimes they can't. The Reid experiment didn't pay off and we've let him go (with the option of him coming back if/when things change). It's a win-win.

Yes, I hoped for more incomings but we can still bring in loans or frees and, from the sale of Reid and Zohore, we can afford the wages to attract some quality.

Onwards and upwards.
    I'm sure we can't bring in loans until the next window. Free agents we can. A surprise free agent signing in the next few weeks wouldn't surprise me - nor would a couple of additional exits (to one of the leagues where the window is still open, like L1/L2 or Scotland). I don't know if Matt Connolly is still injured, but surely his time is up at Cardiff? Some of the u23s need to go out on loan. It is hard to see the sense in all three of Bogle, Madine and Ward competing for a bench spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm sure we can't bring in loans until the next window. Free agents we can. A surprise free agent signing in the next few weeks wouldn't surprise me - nor would a couple of additional exits (to one of the leagues where the window is still open, like L1/L2 or Scotland). I don't know if Matt Connolly is still injured, but surely his time is up at Cardiff? Some of the u23s need to go out on loan. It is hard to see the sense in all three of Bogle, Madine and Ward competing for a bench spot.
    I had to look it up re loans. I could have sworn we had a week for loans. Apparently not. I can deffo see some frees coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    That confused me too! But yes, Nelson is by far the quickest centre half we have at the club but I can't imagine he's going to get a lot of game time this year. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we saw him more at right back than centre back this season.
    For a moment I thought you were going to say "....if we saw him MOVE".

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

When the options are no defensive midfielder, or Pack then I’ll choose Pack. He is also another leader.

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The Gunnar was no world beater when he wasn't injured or wasn't putting his country before his club.
    No, but last year his job was extremely well filled and definitely helped us put up a fight

CardiffCitySince1927

Well, As I said I think the successor will either be James Rowberry (assistant manager now); or Bamba. Both will look to continue the Warnock way

CardiffCitySince1927

Onwards and upwards.
    I think we’ll look how we’re doing in January then place together bids for needed recruits instead of just guessing after seeing the team play a couple games

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post

Everyone's post matters and yours is well positioned, especially as you were born in 1927 , you must have seen a lot ( so respect for that )

I had to look it up re loans. I could have sworn we had a week for loans. Apparently not. I can deffo see some frees coming in.
    With Reid's wages saved on , perhaps a real good un ??

Bales in Jan ,if he loves us, he'd return instead of hitting golf balls