+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Did a ECWC game go to extra time at Ninian Park in the late sixties?

Did a ECWC game go to extra time at Ninian Park in the late sixties?

I am taking my brother to the game tomorrow and the only other game he can remember seeing went to extra time at Ninian Park and he was under the impression that it was a Cup Winners' Cup game against Real Zaragoza. However, I believe that RZ won in normal time so he admits that he could be wrong. He is adamant that the game concerned went to extra-time as he got a walloping from my punitive father when he got home for staying out too long (as I got when I saw City beat York in extra time in the FA Cup). He remembers the bollocking more than the opposition.

Despite my own research I couldn't find a game that matched his description and I wondered if any of you had the answer - if indeed his memory is partly right.

Re: Did a ECWC game go to extra time at Ninian Park in the late sixties?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I am taking my brother to the game tomorrow and the only other game he can remember seeing went to extra time at Ninian Park and he was under the impression that it was a Cup Winners' Cup game against Real Zaragoza. However, I believe that RZ won in normal time so he admits that he could be wrong. He is adamant that the game concerned went to extra-time as he got a walloping from my punitive father when he got home for staying out too long (as I got when I saw City beat York in extra time in the FA Cup). He remembers the bollocking more than the opposition.

Despite my own research I couldn't find a game that matched his description and I wondered if any of you had the answer - if indeed his memory is partly right.
    I've not looked this up, but I think the first European match that went to extra time was against Dynamo Berlin in 1971 when Don Murray fired that penalty almost on to the Grange End roof in the shoot out.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

They did win in normal time. I can`t think of an ET ECWC game. Maybe the Play off in Germany vs Moscow Torpedo a few years later is in your head or the semi defeat to Hamburg.?

https://www.welshsoccerarchive.co.uk...ails.php?id=15

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've not looked this up, but I think the first European match that went to extra time was against Dynamo Berlin in 1971 when Don Murray fired that penalty almost on to the Grange End roof in the shoot out.
    This definitely happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    This definitely happened.
    Yeah it did it was 1971, Oh Don ..I had forgotten that one.

https://www.welshsoccerarchive.co.uk...ails.php?id=42

I think the ball is still in orbit. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a penalty go further over the bar than that one.

I think he is mistaken, Bob - as 1971 was too late as he no longer lived at home at that juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer3 View Post
    They did win in normal time. I can`t think of an ET ECWC game. Maybe the Play off in Germany vs Moscow Torpedo a few years later is in your head or the semi defeat to Hamburg.?

https://www.welshsoccerarchive.co.uk...ails.php?id=15
    It's not my head, it's his! And it ain't right, methinks!

I remember this. Didn't we lose to Porto on pens also?

The only game I can remember earlier, that went to extra time, was a Welsh cup game against Abertawe Town.

Late 60’s.

3 nil up with about 20 minutes to go, Don gets sent off, full time 3-3. Then Abertawe went on to win 5-3 in extra time

John Charles did that in a league game as weil. Except his went onto the roof!

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I remember this. Didn't we lose to Porto on pens also?
    No, I think it was 2-2 here and 2-1 over there - I also have a feeling Porto played in their blue and white stripes at Ninian Park and we played in red and white.

No, I think it was 2-2 here and 2-1 over there - I also have a feeling Porto played in their blue and white stripes at Ninian Park and we played in red and white.
    Toshack missed a pelanty in the away game

Might it have been Swansea Town in the Welsh Cup (1965-66) - 3-0 up, Don Murray sent off for a headbut and the Jacks win 5-3 after extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Might it have been Swansea Town in the Welsh Cup (1965-66) - 3-0 up, Don Murray sent off for a headbut and the Jacks win 5-3 after extra time.
    See post 10