+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The pressures on Norwich

Re: The pressures on Norwich

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    We were worse.
    We had no intention of attacking a top 6 team in some games last season, almost as if we had already written the game off.
    Man City, Utd, Tottenham at home were embarrassing.
    Actually I take back my last post. That spurs game was an actual disgrace. Forgot about that. I'm with city123. If you are that incompetent at the basics you might as well throw everything at it and show off your total lack of skill rather than put on a shite defending masterclass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That could count at the end of the season. In fact, it's been more than a decade since a team was relegated from the Premier League on goal difference.
    In the final analysis yes. But it affects the approach to games too. We had additional pressure last season just because of our shit gd.

Let's be honest, for relegation fodder like Norwich, losing 1-0 tonight works have been 0.5 points gained against teams in their sub division

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    In the final analysis yes. But it affects the approach to games too. We had additional pressure last season just because of our shit gd.

Let's be honest, for relegation fodder like Norwich, losing 1-0 tonight works have been 0.5 points gained against teams in their sub division
    Obviously shipping a shedload against anyone isn't good, but in my view if a team has a genuine style of play it's probably best to stick to that as far and as often as possible. I remember the Jacks getting beaten 4-0 at Manchester City in their first Premier League game and the scoreline could have been much bigger. However, they stuck to their style and ended the season in 11th place.

4-1 something at least

We were worse.
    We had no intention of attacking a top 6 team in some games last season, almost as if we had already written the game off.
    The issue was how open our defence was. I thought we did actually attack, well until the game was completely out of sight at least.

We were awful at Bournemouth away first game of the season and were in with a shot of survival really right until Fulham away from home. As long as Norwich don't lost their heads then this result doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    100%, most clubs can write off their games against the "Big 6"

Knowing that, for me teams might as well go for it and see what happens, with some of the chances Norwich crafted they could easily have scored a couple themselves
    Couldn't agree more, I turned it off at half time.

Norwich gave it a really good go and created quite a lot of chances and looked really good going forward but they were still 4-0 down at the break.

The Prem is just getting more and more predictable by the year. I can't say I'm going to miss writing off about a third of the fixtures before the season starts.

What a shit game to televise. Even Norwich at home would have been a mis-match.

The Liverpool love-in has begun

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    What a shit game to televise.
    Yeah, what were Sky thinking? I mean, who wants to watch the champions of Europe in action? Ridiculous choice of game....

Yeah, what were Sky thinking? I mean, who wants to watch the champions of Europe in action? Ridiculous choice of game....
    That's a team, not a game. I sometimes go to Wimbledon in the first few days of the competition. Only a mug would go to centre court to watch the stars battering the cannon fodder. You get to watch an actual march if you stick to the outer courts. Anybody daft enough to watch tonight has just seen the number 2 seed win in straight sets. Dull as ****.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your reply?

I disagree with your idea that just because a team are European champions your average neutral fan would want to even watch them, let alone put a bunch of newcomers/no hopers to the sword.

My idea of a good game would be to see a fairly even contest, if my team wasn't involved of course, and it ceased to be this after about 10 minutes.
    Norwich did have a go to be fair bit only after van Dyke got bored and the strikers also lost interest.

The crux of my post was that Liverpool are back, Kings of Europe, back where they belong, on the nation's TV's as much as possible.

God I can't wait for the premiership season to start proper.... NOT!

Norwich making the same mistake that Fulham did last year.Just because they outfootballed everyone in the championship last season doesn't mean they can do what Wolves did.Their manager needs to learn that very quickly.

We were worse.
    We were plucky though.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your reply?

I disagree with your idea that just because a team are European champions your average neutral fan would want to even watch them, let alone put a bunch of newcomers/no hopers to the sword.

My idea of a good game would be to see a fairly even contest, if my team wasn't involved of course, and it ceased to be this after about 10 minutes.
    Norwich did have a go to be fair bit only after van Dyke got bored and the strikers also lost interest.

The crux of my post was that Liverpool are back, Kings of Europe, back where they belong, on the nation's TV's as much as possible.

God I can't wait for the premiership season to start proper.... NOT!
    Totally agree with your view.
    Its also ironic that Liverpool, Champions of Europe haven't even managed to be Champions of England for 30yrs.....oh and counting 🤣🤣. Since they beat us in 2012 to win the League Cup, thats their only trophy, so 1 in seven years. Supppsed to be one of worlds top sides my arse

Norwich are reported to have only spent £1.1m on transfer fees, bringing 8 players in, including 3 loans. That doesnt indicate to me that they are serious about staying up. Their defence was non existant. Pukki caused Liverpool some problems but Liverpool were playing with them in the second half. If they go on like that, they will be down by Christmas.

What a shit game to televise. Even Norwich at home would have been a mis-match.

The Liverpool love-in has begun
    Sky have Friday night football.

If the game only game tonight was Newcastle Brighton they’d have shown that..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We were plucky though.
    Maybe for Spurs away but unless Arsenal and Chelsea are no longer in the top 6 our performances weren't as bad as some making out. Issue was it never got us any points.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Norwich are reported to have only spent £1.1m on transfer fees, bringing 8 players in, including 3 loans. That doesnt indicate to me that they are serious about staying up. Their defence was non existant. Pukki caused Liverpool some problems but Liverpool were playing with them in the second half. If they go on like that, they will be down by Christmas.
    Let me help you there fella. They invested in their squad before going up. Developing their play and players. They have a tight group now with some good skill. Talking to one of their players, they have already targeted their matches, and they believe they can bite. They are treating matches like the Liverpool game as bonus. And they did win second half 1-0. So a few positives for them. But my point is. They have planned ahead.

You can disagree all you like, but the fact of the matter is that the TV companies screen the bigger clubs as often as possible because they comfortably draw the biggest audiences. Even a complete idiot should be able to work that one out.

Which of the following games, if screened last night, would have drawn the biggest audience do you think?

Liverpool v Norwich
    Bournemouth v Sheffield Utd
    Burnley v Southampton
    Watford v Brighton

Go on, take a wild guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    Let me help you there fella. They invested in their squad before going up. Developing their play and players. They have a tight group now with some good skill. Talking to one of their players, they have already targeted their matches, and they believe they can bite. They are treating matches like the Liverpool game as bonus. And they did win second half 1-0. So a few positives for them. But my point is. They have planned ahead.
    Bit of spin really. Seems other clubs get away with it. Imagine the backlash on here if it was us.

I'd be almost certain they had targets over the summer and it didn't work out. Instead of panic buying they went with what they have, nothing wrong with that but I'd be amazed if they stayed up.

I agree. They have planned ahead - for relegation. If the last 18 months have taught us anything, it is that thinking a squad is good enough for the Premier League because it does well in the Championship is folly. No doubt Fulham thought the same. Norwich have got 8 new players, 5 on contract and 3 loans. Two of the contracted ones are under 19 and have already been shipped back out on loan to lower league clubs. Spending £1.1m on 3 players is ridiculous. They were embarassed yesterday defensively and it could easily have been 7-1. Well done for 'talking to one of their players' by the way - what would you expect him to say - ' we are shit and are going to be down by Christmas' !!

I agree. They have planned ahead - for relegation. If the last 18 months have taught us anything, it is that thinking a squad is good enough for the Premier League because it does well in the Championship is folly. No doubt Fulham thought the same. Norwich have got 8 new players, 5 on contract and 3 loans. Two of the contracted ones are under 19 and have already been shipped back out on loan to lower league clubs. Spending £1.1m on 3 players is ridiculous. They were embarassed yesterday defensively and it could easily have been 7-1. Well done for 'talking to one of their players' by the way - what would you expect him to say - ' we are shit and are going to be down by Christmas' !!
    The problem I always have with you is that if City had gone up in the identical way as Norwich did, made identical signings as Norwich have and lost at Liverpool in exactly the same manner as Norwich did on the opening day of the season, the message that I'm quoting would have been completely and utterly different in tone and outlook - indeed, you would be disagreeing with and criticising strongly anyone who dared to post the same as you have just done.

Was a great article posted on here last year about the work they’ve done, sending players out on loan to the right clubs etc so they develop how they want them to, I’d try and find it but I’m half dead with man flu so really can’t be arsed. Was a good read through.

The problem I always have with you is that if City had gone up in the identical way as Norwich did, made identical signings as Norwich have and lost at Liverpool in exactly the same manner as Norwich did on the opening day of the season, the message that I'm quoting would have been completely and utterly different in tone and outlook - indeed, you would be disagreeing with and criticising strongly anyone who dared to post the same as you have just done.
    Spot on.

Blokes a joke.

Exactly

I don’t know their squad. Don’t know much anyways. But he said they have been building for some time. And with talent who they think can step up. A long term plan on how they are playing and getting a tight group. He would know more about it than me, as he is one of their players who have been to premier league before. And probably more than you to. Read the other day they have a pretty good manager to? Time will tell I guess, and in my opinion they can take positives from the game yesterday.