+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Maybe just maybe Warnock knows what he’s doing in this league?

Maybe just maybe Warnock knows what he’s doing in this league?

His track record is pretty decent after all. Last time we were in this league 2 seasons ago we got 90 points. I’m not sure if this squad is that much worse than that squad? In many ways it’s stronger and it’s certaibly comparable.

Half of our team have been captains at their previous clubs- we won’t lack leadership on the pitch and Warnock knows in the championship that’s what you need. Remember when we had the RevOLEution and had a bunch of talented individuals. That went well.

Our record against the bottom 7 last year was decent, even if we can repeat that kind of form we will be top 6.

Fans have spent years saying we just want people who are committed etc.... well to me the entire squad looks committed now and I am confident we will finish higher than their talent levels. There aren’t many clubs who can say that.

Re: Maybe just maybe Warnock knows what he’s doing in this league?

It's surprising how much money Warnock has actually spent assembling this squad. By my calculations (and it's always difficult to be accurate as so many fees are 'undisclosed'), he's added 12 players that have cost approximately £38 million to the squad since 2017/18 and that's not including those who have come and gone (Reid and Cunningham).

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's surprising how much money Warnock has actually spent assembling this squad. By my calculations (and it's always difficult to be accurate as so many fees are 'undisclosed'), he's added 12 players that have cost approximately £38 million to the squad since 2017/18 and that's not including those who have come and gone (Reid and Cunningham).
    We need to be top 6. I’m not saying our squad is shit at all. I’m yes Warnock has spent money but this is the squad he wants.

I’m not convinced he’d build a much better one if he was given £100 million cash to be honest. Other managers maybe could but I doubt he could. This squad seems perfect for Warnock- I bet he’s genuinely really excited by it.

Two things surprised me during this window:

1) No incoming loan deals. Warnock has previously used plenty of loans.

2) No movement for Murphy. He was the one player I thought a lower-ranking Premier League might have taken a chance on, either in terms of a permanent deal or a season-long loan.

Warnock's built a squad with big numbers, lots of size and strength and plenty of 'leaders', but it looks relatively low on genuine quality. We shall see.

I’m still not pleased that Reid has gone, but hearing the way it happened has calmed me down somewhat.

At least we’ve got a midfielder in now, so that’s something.

The league has moved on a bit since we were here, we’ll struggle with Mozza AND Flint in the same team as our defence lacks any pace, Josh windass who’s shite gave us problems, if we can sort that out by adding Nelson in there then that will help.

I said second in my first prediction. Thinking a late push for playoffs now.

Not gonna slag off the new signings, and it would be unfair to get on Vassells back if he doesn’t start by banging in 2/3 goals a game... there again I sat near a grumpy old twat last year who couldn’t wait to slag off manga who was one of our better players... so I don’t really see the new lad having much time to settle in.

Two things surprised me during this window:

1) No incoming loan deals. Warnock has previously used plenty of loans.

2) No movement for Murphy. He was the one player I thought a lower-ranking Premier League might have taken a chance on, either in terms of a permanent deal or a season-long loan.

Warnock's built a squad with big numbers, lots of size and strength and plenty of 'leaders', but it looks relatively low on genuine quality. We shall see.
    Agree on Murphy. Although I’m not sure if the lack of movement or interest for Murphy is good or bad for us!

Maybe there's been a bit of financial prudence from above and Warnock's hands have been tied. I agree with TLG that the squad has little quality to it. God help if we got promoted with it as it has less top flight quality than the one that got promoted 2 seasons ago

Warnock has proved time & again that commitment, work ethic & team spirit can go a long way & make a team competitive against more "talented" sides.
    We will have to see how the season pans out, & I don"t think that our football is going to be pretty to watch, but I expect us to be competitive & certainly be in the play off spots if not in the automatic promotion spots come the end of the season.

Of course he does, but half the people on here know better.

I personally think he is a fantastic manager and has managed a good relationship with the people above him also which has proved difficult for others. The promotion was a ridiculous achievement. Hard for anyone on here to really appreciate the work that goes on behind the scenes for that to happen.

We all love the club though, part of the beauty of the game is differing opinions and the passion that comes with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Of course he does, but half the people on here know better.

I personally think he is a fantastic manager and has managed a good relationship with the people above him also which has proved difficult for others. The promotion was a ridiculous achievement. Hard for anyone on here to really appreciate the work that goes on behind the scenes for that to happen.

We all love the club though, part of the beauty of the game is differing opinions and the passion that comes with them.
    The people on here have opinions, they get emotional. It’s what football fans do be it on here, in work, in the pub...

12 players at an average of less than £3.2m. Sounds ok to me

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    12 players at an average of less than £3.2m. Sounds ok to me
    My point was that when comparing the current squad to the one which started the successful 2017/18 Championship campaign, it should be noted that a considerable sum of money has been spent in the meantime. Unlike in 2017/18, Warnock hasn't assembled the current squad on the cheap.

God help if we got promoted with it as it has less top flight quality than the one that got promoted 2 seasons ago
    God yeah I hope we lose today so we have less chance of getting promoted!

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I’m still not pleased that Reid has gone, but hearing the way it happened has calmed me down somewhat.

At least we’ve got a midfielder in now, so that’s something.

The league has moved on a bit since we were here, we’ll struggle with Mozza AND Flint in the same team as our defence lacks any pace, Josh windass who’s shite gave us problems, if we can sort that out by adding Nelson in there then that will help.

I said second in my first prediction. Thinking a late push for playoffs now.

Not gonna slag off the new signings, and it would be unfair to get on Vassells back if he doesn’t start by banging in 2/3 goals a game... there again I sat near a grumpy old twat last year who couldn’t wait to slag off manga who was one of our better players... so I don’t really see the new lad having much time to settle in.
    Correct - people are talking as if the season hasn't started yet, but what happened last week has to be concerning. Hopefully, Pack's familiarity with Flint will mean that our centrebacks are screened better than they were last week, but people looking to make comparisons with two years ago should note that the 17/18 side just didn't do what last week's side did - that is, lose by conceding three goals to a side not expected to challenge for promotion after taking the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Correct - people are talking as if the season hasn't started yet, but what happened last week has to be concerning. Hopefully, Pack's familiarity with Flint will mean that our centrebacks are screened better than they were last week, but people looking to make comparisons with two years ago should note that the 17/18 side just didn't do what last week's side did - that is, lose by conceding three goals to a side not expected to challenge for promotion after taking the lead.
    I think we need 6-7 games to judge.
    Last week’s game was bizarre - extremely low quality, from both sides, strange refereeing , very poor defending , awful passing and a fair few playing well below themselves , ( I think we have an explanation for at least 1 of them now) added to losing our keeper when 1-0 up and comfortable.

It’ll take time for the new signings to bed in.

Whether it’s enough for a promotion challenge I don’t know.

Not even sure if it matters that much to me now - last season was exhausting, as was the one before.
    A relatively quiet season wouldn’t be a problem for me 😂

Only reason I’d want to go back up would be so we can stay financially stable as the parachute funds will only last 2 seasons

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think the defence will stay the same, I was happy with it on paper before I realised how slow it was Saturday. Positional sense usually makes up for lack of speed but that doesn’t seem to be there with our lot, ive noticed a lot we are found out of position and/or following the ball instead of moving to where the danger is
    Pack should make a difference he’s experienced at this level and only 28.
    Him Ralls and another (I’d guess bacuna who played ok Saturday I’ve been told?)
    I’d like to see Vaulks in there he looks like he can pick a pass. None of our other midfielders can (I’ve never taken notice of Pack)

In short we've got the right sort of players and the right manager for this league.
    I'd say that the difference between this and the last championship team is that we've got much more strength in depth so I'm hoping we won't fade a bit towards the end through sheer exhaustion as we did then.

As I said elsewhere, they're going to need a few games to get used to playing together, but we can't afford for that to last too long because you can fall behind very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    In short we've got the right sort of players and the right manager for this league.
    I'd say that the difference between this and the last championship team is that we've got much more strength in depth so I'm hoping we won't fade a bit towards the end through sheer exhaustion as we did then.

As I said elsewhere, they're going to need a few games to get used to playing together, but we can't afford for that to last too long because you can fall behind very quickly
    You can fall behind very quickly in the PL and not recover.

Teams have been miles behind and still won this division.

Well I didn’t mind what I saw today. I liked all the new signings with 7 players making their home debut. I think we will be ok.

Are you going to games now at CCS TLG?