+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How did the debutants do today?

How did the debutants do today?

I have read that Glatz and Pack seemed to do well and obvs Vassell scored, but no mention of Whyte so far.

Thanks

Re: How did the debutants do today?

Whyte was having a few teething problems making the step up but he's young and I'm sure he'll catch on.
    I thought it was a remarkable bit of progress with so many new players in the team and they seem to be starting to work together already which can only improve

I thought that Whyte was Vaulks! he did ok, looked a bit more comfortable during the second half. Glatzel was ok, looked buggered during the second half, missed a very good chance from a Hoilett delivery, probably because he was done. Not much pace. Pack had a good game, didn't miss a thing although it must be said that alot of the headers he won weren't really contested by Luton. Some decent defending and positioning. Pack did very well, composed and the ability to look up and act as that pivot between defence and midfield, although some of his stuff was wasted because we don't have players who will make runs centrally. It was mostly out to the fullback and then down the line-usual stuff. Vassell looked sharp.

Thought all the new guys did well and look promising signings. My one concern was Flint. Not an impressive showing. Looking shit scared anytime the ball came anywhere near him.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Thought all the new guys did well and look promising signings. My one concern was Flint. Not an impressive showing. Looking shit scared anytime the ball came anywhere near him.
    Flint did pretty well in my opinion. I'm not sure how he's going to look against teams with pace and movement, that's my biggest worry, although he did everything required of him. I thought that Glatzel looked slow and not that physical. We shall see.

Flint looked decent, tough to get past, has his weaknesses but did ok.

Pack is one of those players that you can't name specific good things that he did, you're just glad he was there. Covered ground well and got forward more than I imagined he would.

Glatzel worked hard, could have scored a header, decent feet. Jury's out but not a bad showing.

Whyte I thought was anonymous and I was surprised Murphy was taken off before him being that he looked our most dangerous player. Felt like it was very much a step up for him but he may well come good, he should be eased in, with Hoilett starting before him.

Subs wise, Vassell obviously scored a huge goal at the end. I really like Vaulks, I just like his general vibe, he was screaming at people about 3 seconds after coming on, and was the first to be geeing our team up after conceding

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Flint did pretty well in my opinion. I'm not sure how he's going to look against teams with pace and movement, that's my biggest worry, although he did everything required of him. I thought that Glatzel looked slow and not that physical. We shall see.
    There was a moment early on when he seemed to be in front of a defender in a footrace towards goal but looked very sluggish and had to check back. Some ok touches but not sure he's better than what we have. Early days of course.

I felt that all the debutants had spells in the game where they could be happy and spells where that wasn't the case, perhaps with the exception of Vassell and Vaulks who did well in their very short periods on the pitch. Regarding Whyte: if you read before the game that Whyte is one of the youngest members of our squad, has only played 36 games in English league football and was making his debut at the highest level he's played at, but is also a player that excites Warnock because of his raw talent, then he pretty much played like that. I think he showed enough to tantilise for the rest of the season.

For the first 20 minutes it seemed that Murphy was going to have a stormer and Whyte was going to disappoint but, overall, I would probably rate Whyte higher today.

Thought Marlon Pack was just what we need. Came short for possession and was happy spraying a few passes around, forward, side to side. Good energy, defended and attacked well. Potential captain and a leader from that position. Only one game in, but promising enough to say he's a potential improvement on Gunnarsson or Arter.

Whyte - as others have said looked a bit out of his depth, but lots to learn about this level. Not sure about a turn of pace. Didn't see any evidence of much.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Thought Marlon Pack was just what we need. Came short for possession and was happy spraying a few passes around, forward, side to side. Good energy, defended and attacked well. Potential captain and a leader from that position. Only one game in, but promising enough to say he's a potential improvement on Gunnarsson or Arter.

Whyte - as others have said looked a bit out of his depth, but lots to learn about this level. Not sure about a turn of pace. Didn't see any evidence of much.
    Good shout about Pack, he's not Gunnar or Arter, and that's just what we needed, a bit of composure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I have read that Glatz and Pack seemed to do well and obvs Vassell scored, but no mention of Whyte so far.

Thanks
    Flint and Pack looked comfortable - as they should. Whyte looks a bit lightweight and to be honest, whilst he had more of the ball in the second half, he looks like a player from the '4th' division. Glatzel did more running and chasing than Zohore would do in two matches, but does he have Zohore's pace on a 1-to-1 ? I don't think so. Vaulks seemed to step into the game seamlessly when he came on, again as you would expect from someone who has played at this level, and Vassell didn't do anything but score, but that's not bad as he was only on the pitch for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Thanks
    Thanks everyone.

All opinions are very much appreciated.

At times Glatzel reminded me of Bothroyd. His backheel to Paterson in the second half showed he had vision and a great first touch.

We need to get people around him to utilise his strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I felt that all the debutants had spells in the game where they could be happy and spells where that wasn't the case, perhaps with the exception of Vassell and Vaulks who did well in their very short periods on the pitch. Regarding Whyte: if you read before the game that Whyte is one of the youngest members of our squad, has only played 36 games in English league football and was making his debut at the highest level he's played at, but is also a player that excites Warnock because of his raw talent, then he pretty much played like that. I think he showed enough to tantilise for the rest of the season.

For the first 20 minutes it seemed that Murphy was going to have a stormer and Whyte was going to disappoint but, overall, I would probably rate Whyte higher today.
    Not strictly true. He's played international football.

One thing that surprised me in this thread is the comments about Glatzels pace. He outsprinted Murphy 3 or 4 times early on, he got great acceleration and left defenders behind. My impression after yesterday was that hes a lot quicker than Zohore.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    One thing that surprised me in this thread is the comments about Glatzels pace. He outsprinted Murphy 3 or 4 times early on, he got great acceleration and left defenders behind. My impression after yesterday was that hes a lot quicker than Zohore.
    Agree i thought he was quick for a big fella

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    He's certainly not on the slow side. Not sure if he's faster than Zohore or not but from watching the game he's definitely got a better first touch than him and he's seems a generally more intelligent player.