+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Murphy today

Murphy today

Looks like his decision making and final product hasn’t improved over the summer!

Was a good free kick for the goal and some good runs- but he looks such an incomplete player. I thought he would be subbed off much sooner than he was actually- a lot of good opportunities fell to him in the 1st half but he fluffed them all.

Could go either way with him this season and in his career. He could be a massive player for us and be in the premier league again very soon- or he may continue to frustrate us and we may hardly see him until he goes out on loan to Blackburn or Wigan. Just not sure which way it will go.

Re: Murphy today

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Looks like his decision making and final product hasn’t improved over the summer!

Was a good free kick for the goal and some good runs- but he looks such an incomplete player. I thought he would be subbed off much sooner than he was actually- a lot of good opportunities fell to him in the 1st half but he fluffed them all.

Could go either way with him this season and in his career. He could be a massive player for us and be in the premier league again very soon- or he may continue to frustrate us and we may hardly see him until he goes out on loan to Blackburn or Wigan. Just not sure which way it will go.
    He took a touch to many on that early chance and his bodyshape was awful, not on his toes, that's why he had to take that extra touch. Some of his crossing was ok, he put one ball in during the first half that was perfect. You can't really blame him to much as there isn't a great deal to hit. His biggest problem(like so many players with pace who play out wide)is when he has time to think or lift his head up. It seems to throw him out. He does lack composure, that's why he's with us.

Well, I think that we might see him play for England one of these days. There's an immense talent there which is still developing.
    His progress will depend on how the whole team develops, which I suspect now that it might quite impressively .

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Well, I think that we might see him play for England one of these days. There's an immense talent there which is still developing.
    His progress will depend on how the whole team develops, which I suspect now that it might quite impressively .
    Murphy representing England at full international level-That's one hell of a call.

I can understand why Norwich supporters were happy to get £10 million for him last summer. He's got a huge amount of talent, but his decision making is poor. He also seems to be very much a first-half player, with his performances level usually dropping off significantly after half-time.

Murphy can go past most defenders in this division. Hoilett probably can't, but Hoilett is always the bigger threat. He doesn't need to beat his marker to get his cross in, and when he does they're far better than Murphy's..

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    England?? Wowza. Closest he’ll get to playing for England is the fact he was born in Wembley.

He needs to concentrate on being a consistent Championship player - and he’s some way off that.

Exactly the same as last week when he had 3 clear chances, He had 3 chances today in the first 4 minutes. Lack of composure lets him down.

Always a game of opinions isn't it. For what it's worth I thought he was outstanding in the first half. Beat his full back again and again, could have done a bit better with his end product but take him out of the team and where exactly would any of those chances have come from?

Didn't get enough of the ball in the second hand and then bizarrely got subbed off instead of Whyte who had done sweet FA

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Exactly the same as last week when he had 3 clear chances, He had 3 chances today in the first 4 minutes. Lack of composure lets him down.
    If he had more composure in front of goal and more consistency to his play, he would be playing for team in the premier league, he really has got all the attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Always a game of opinions isn't it. For what it's worth I thought he was outstanding in the first half. Beat his full back again and again, could have done a bit better with his end product but take him out of the team and where exactly would any of those chances have come from?

Didn't get enough of the ball in the second hand and then bizarrely got subbed off instead of Whyte who had done sweet FA
    Completely agree, Murphy is our most talented player and can go past full backs for fun, just needs a little more composure in front of goal.Why Warnock took him off instead of Whyte was a mystery!

I feel he gets to much stick
    Fans scream for him to take players on but when he does his only option is one striker in the box surrounded by a few defenders so either has to go it alone or try and hold the ball up until the slugs catch up

Thought he looked far more at ease today than most of last season as if he was under less pressure.
    He wont get perfect crosses in every time but with a striker like Glatzel, in the middle looking for the ball, they're gonna connect at some point.

He’s with Cardiff because he has flaws.

It’s really that simple.

To be fair he had one cleared off the line and it was his cross from the free kick that we scored the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    To be fair he had one cleared off the line and it was his cross from the free kick that we scored the first.
    Yes he was a threat and made the first goal and unlucky not to score that volley in the 2nd half. He caused Luton all sorts of problems in the first 10/15 minutes. I didn’t like his dive in the first half though, he’s better than that

England diving team maybe

As I expected seems we have almost total consensus on his level right now and it’s clear what his strengths and deficioncies are.

However wildly ranging predictions for his future! From being a full England international to this being as good as it’s ever going to get for him. My gut says it’s closer to the latter but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Completely agree, Murphy is our most talented player and can go past full backs for fun, just needs a little more composure in front of goal.Why Warnock took him off instead of Whyte was a mystery!

My thoughts too, was far more effective than Whyte who didn't show much albeit only his first game. Murphy caused them lots of problems and created chances although his finishing lets him down.