+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Smithies

Smithies

He didn't have many saves to make today, but one thing I did notice was the quality of his kicking. He overhit a few goal kicks, but in general it was pretty accurate, especially when you consider the weather conditions. There was one skied clearance, but that was after he had been put under pressure by a ridiculous back pass from Whyte. I think this is a part of the game where Smithies is clearly superior to Etheridge (and Day).

Re: Smithies

I agree with all of that apart from 'and Day'. I don't think part of the first game of the season is enough to judge Day

He came here after pulling up trees at QPR but I'll wait for a few more games before I write off Etherige as second best.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I agree with all of that apart from 'and Day'. I don't think part of the first game of the season is enough to judge Day
    I've spoken to a couple of Newport fans and they were very critical of his kicking especially under pressure.

His handling was decent, especially due to the conditions. A couple of times it seemed he didn’t call and ended up being beaten to the ball by a defender.

Overall he did OK. Good block from one of the very few chances Luton created

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Don’t think his kicking style and skill will change much on a longer showing.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Don’t think his kicking style and skill will change much on a longer showing.
    What a difference a day makes....

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    What a difference a day makes....
    Or a missing one ;)

How tall is he? I thought he looked quite short for a goalkeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    6ft 1

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Alongside our centre halves he does but looks ok alongside Peltier & Bennett.