+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vassell eases pressure on Warnock with late, late winner.

Re: Vassell eases pressure on Warnock with late, late winner.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The post you have quoted states the following: "There was always an element of creativity in the centre which we don't have in this squad."

Another Scott Johnson tweet probably clears up why you're disagreeing: "The squad is a lot less sexy too, and it wasn’t that sexy to begin with." We were never that creative but an element of creativity has been lost. We might have more goal-scoring chances but not ones we have created other than having a team all over 6 foot tall. More of an issue being that the midfield two years ago never gave the opposition as much space and time as Luton had yesterday.
    Luton didn’t have any time and space in midfield. Any time and space they had was because we let them as they weren’t in dangerous areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Good point - 4 goals scored in 2 games and 4 goals conceded. Going by those stats we are the league,s entertainers
    We’ve had the joint 2nd highest attempts on goal so far this season, probably the lowest possession. Similar to last time around so far (well, except for losing our first game).

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Who? It wasn’t gunnarson that’s for sure. Damour? Bryson?

As tobw said pack can certainly pass the ball. I simply can’t understand people saying this squad is less creative and less sexy than when we went up. Ralls can also play.

Who have we lost that people are gutted about and we have lost so much creativity?
    To clarify, the sexy comment was made regarding Reid leaving, but I am using it show how the post you responded to wasn't calling us a creative side but pointing out we have become less creative.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    'bludgeon' ? Come on, I know I've detected an increasing frustration with Warnockball - as a lot of us have- but it would take maybe 3 seasons to change the squad sufficiently, to get a closer version of the beautiful game. I do agree that it's probably a price worth paying if we become serious challengers for promotion again, but I have my doubts. This side may get 'better' as players bed in, but even for a Warnock side I just don't think there's enough quality. When we went up our central midfield comprised two/three of the following : Gunnarson, Damour, Bryson, Gruijic, Ralls, Patterson. That's far better than we have now. There was always an element of creativity in the centre which we don't have in this squad [unless you incl. Tomlin], and I reckon we will struggle against teams far better than Luton and Wigan..
    I don’t know about that, I think pack is easily as good as gunners and I never rated gruijic anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    To clarify, the sexy comment was made regarding Reid leaving.
    Yes that’s fine. But others are arguing our midfield was a lot more creative last time and I can’t see it. I think we will create plenty of chances. Whether we will take any of them is another matter,....

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    We’ve had the joint 2nd highest attempts on goal so far this season, probably the lowest possession. Similar to last time around so far (well, except for losing our first game).
    Thanks that’s what I expected. I’m surprised to see people think we can’t create anything

Luton didn’t have any time and space in midfield. Any time and space they had was because we let them as they weren’t in dangerous areas.
    Too many people cant get their heads around this yet have “watched” football for 4 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Sounded to me like Pack was making the effort yesterday to get him in the right positions on the pitch so that scomment is bollocks.
    Why do people take the opinions of people like this Scott Johnson character as gospel?

He mentions whyte, and Pack not making an effort to help him etc yet clear as day on the radio they mentioned how Pack had a word with him about his positioning etc and staying a constant danger to his fullback by being out wide. If that isn’t help and talking I don’t know what the **** is.

Why are these idiots allowed to tweet and influence so many fans?

Too many people cant get their heads around this yet have “watched” football for 4 decades.
    “Get to him!!!!!”

“Get to him!!!!!”
    You hear that as well do you 😂😂

Why do people take the opinions of people like this Scott Johnson character as gospel?

He mentions whyte, and Pack not making an effort to help him etc yet clear as day on the radio they mentioned how Pack had a word with him about his positioning etc and staying a constant danger to his fullback by being out wide. If that isn’t help and talking I don’t know what the **** is.

Why are these idiots allowed to tweet and influence so many fans?
    He’s allowed to tweet in fairness.

But yes he has a twitter account. That’s all.

He’s allowed to tweet in fairness.

But yes he has a twitter account. That’s all.
    😂😂😂 of course he is I’ve just woke up grumpy.

People who can’t think will repeat that as gospel, you look around the erm less intelligent message boards at people repeating how Pack isn’t an influence on the pitch and needs to help inexperienced players like whyte more...

As tobw said pack can certainly pass the ball. I simply can’t understand people saying this squad is less creative and less sexy than when we went up. Ralls can also play.

Who have we lost that people are gutted about and we have lost so much creativity?
    We've never been creative under Warnock, unless people have a different view on what 'Creative' means. When Warnock came in you could see that he was trying to get the team to play a quicker kind of football, a game that consisted of getting the ball out wide as quickly as possible and delivering a ball into the box with a midfield player supporting. That style was under construction during his first season and then ramped up for the first three months of the promotion season that saw us play an aggressive (not dirty)high tempo, high fitness expansive long ball game, there was method to it. I commented at the time that it was like watching an action movie. The plot wasn't great, the script was emotive and basic and deep down it sort of betrayed your senses and like most action movies you sort of disapproved of the main protagonist and his motives although by the end of it you're cheering him on and getting caught up in the emotion and vulgarity. That's how it felt to me.

Something changed after we absolutely smashed Leeds at home. I think that Warnock had surprised himself, but maybe an element of doubt had crept in. There was no way NML was going to keep performing in the way he had, same for Hoilett and Bamba and our free transfer from Walsall (Etheridge) i really think that Warnock doubted the longevity of what we had witnessed up to that point and decided on becomimg more conservative, sitting deeper, giving up possession and relying on pace on the counter in order to get us up.

The debate on Warnocks style will go on for as long as he's at the club. Some people quote 'tippy tappy football' in defence of Warnock but rarely give any opinion on what they've witnessed, even when one of our players doesn't even have the option of passing the ball to a team mate (it happens to murphy constantly) It's an odd defence to make as we've never really been a 'footballing' team, most people who watch the City know that. I reckon that somewhere in the middle of what Warnock likes and a bit of football would suit those who or critical or even that all action fast paced style that we saw initially, nobody is asking for twenty pass passages of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We've never been creative under Warnock, unless people have a different view on what 'Creative' means. When Warnock came in you could see that he was trying to get the team to play a quicker kind of football, a game that consisted of getting the ball out wide as quickly as possible and delivering a ball into the box with a midfield player supporting. That style was under construction during his first season and then ramped up for the first three months of the promotion season that saw us play an aggressive (not dirty)high tempo, high fitness expansive long ball game, there was method to it. I commented at the time that it was like watching an action movie. The plot wasn't great, the script was emotive and basic and deep down it sort of betrayed your senses and like most action movies you sort of disapproved of the main protagonist and his motives although by the end of it you're cheering him on and getting caught up in the emotion and vulgarity. That's how it felt to me.

Something changed after we absolutely smashed Leeds at home. I think that Warnock had surprised himself, but maybe an element of doubt had crept in. There was no way NML was going to keep performing in the way he had, same for Hoilett and Bamba and our free transfer from Walsall (Etheridge) i really think that Warnock doubted the longevity of what we had witnessed up to that point and decided on becomimg more conservative, sitting deeper, giving up possession and relying on pace on the counter in order to get us up.

The debate on Warnocks style will go on for as long as he's at the club. Some people quote 'tippy tappy football' in defence of Warnock but rarely give any opinion on what they've witnessed, even when one of our players doesn't even have the option of passing the ball to a team mate (it happens to murphy constantly) It's an odd defence to make as we've never really been a 'footballing' team, most people who watch the City know that. I reckon that somewhere in the middle of what Warnock likes and a bit of football would suit those who or critical or even that all action fast paced style that we saw initially, nobody is asking for twenty pass passages of play.
    The last sentence is true- but it’s also what every team is striving for. However in the championship you will always end up short in one of the areas.

It’s better to be good at what you are good at I think. Whatever that good is.

My biggest disappointment yesterday was the stupid goal we conceded. If we cut out things like that we will be fine.

The last sentence is true- but it’s also what every team is striving for. However in the championship you will always end up short in one of the areas.

It’s better to be good at what you are good at I think. Whatever that good is.

My biggest disappointment yesterday was the stupid goal we conceded. If we cut out things like that we will be fine.
    Fair enough, i take your point about being good at what you're good at. I'd like to see a little more support for the striker and fullbacks supporting the wide players, add in a midfielder with a bit of license. I'm not after total football .

Fair enough, i take your point about being good at what you're good at. I'd like to see a little more support for the striker and fullbacks supporting the wide players, add in a midfielder with a bit of license. I'm not after total football .
    I second this.

Bennett had a telling off for attempting to overlap yesterday, Peltier made a few dashes as well so I guess Neil needs to loosen the leashes a bit the players seem ok to have a go at it.

Yes especially at 1 up yesterday. The hard work was actually done- we should have strolled home then but we seemed desperate to crawl home- even had we held on to the 1-0.

Yes especially at 1 up yesterday. The hard work was actually done- we should have strolled home then but we seemed desperate to crawl home- even had we held on to the 1-0.
    Agree with that. Luton were there for the taking. We were stronger than them and shoul've finished them off.

I don't think we would ever be accused of being "sexy", even if we played entire games without shorts!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Pack shines as Cardiff bludgeon their way to victory.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Great blog as usual Bob. I'm so glad you managed to sort out your computer problems.

I agree entirely with your assessment and with your thoughts on Pack in particular. If he keeps up this standard he will prove a shrewd signing and a firm fans' favourite. A great cameo finish from Vassell too and Glatzel fitted the bill despite minimal support. However, despite the welcome win, it has to be said the football was often turgid and it begs the question how well we are likely to fare against the better fancied teams in the division.

My biggest concern though, even if we enjoy a glorious promotion season yet again (or more accurately because of it) is how likely is it that this squad of enthusiastic buccaneers will make the successful transition to Premier League standard? Given that this will be Warnock's last season, any new man, even if he were of the calibre of Pep Guardiola, would have a massive task on his hands. How could anyone manage to achieve the significant wholesale changes required even if he were backed by a more generous board than ours appears to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Great blog as usual Bob. I'm so glad you managed to sort out your computer problems.

I agree entirely with your assessment and with your thoughts on Pack in particular. If he keeps up this standard he will prove a shrewd signing and a firm fans' favourite. A great cameo finish from Vassell too and Glatzel fitted the bill despite minimal support. However, despite the welcome win, it has to be said the football was often turgid and it begs the question how well we are likely to fare against the better fancied teams in the division.

My biggest concern though, even if we enjoy a glorious promotion season yet again (or more accurately because of it) is how likely is it that this squad of enthusiastic buccaneers will make the successful transition to Premier League standard? Given that this will be Warnock's last season, any new man, even if he were of the calibre of Pep Guardiola, would have a massive task on his hands. How could anyone manage to achieve the significant wholesale changes required even if he were backed by a more generous board than ours appears to be?
    I don’t think the changes have to be that dramatic.

Put someone in defence that is comfortable on the ball, add pace to right back, if pack is decent at picking a pass, and Vaulks makes it into the team you have 2 midfielders comfortable on the ball. Add a bit of creativity behind Glatzel who has the look of an all rounder and you have basic changes to the team to make it more of a “playing team”

In all fairness I saw it at work, with friends and messages we were sharing etc it seemed like everyone I knew (and not just the internet) was pissed off reid was going.

Even the glory supporting mates who we banter with were baffled at the decision (again non social media)
    I don't know about that! I'm not bothered that Reid has gone and I think that lots of people think the same.

If it was Pack or Reid, then the choice is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I don't know about that! I'm not bothered that Reid has gone and I think that lots of people think the same.

Just purely from experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I don't think we would ever be accused of being "sexy", even if we played entire games without shorts!
    I thought we were breathtaking to watch at the start of 17/18.
    Almost like we were carving teams up like a hot knife through butter. Sexy may not be the way to describe the football but I always had that word “overwhelmed” in my mind when watching the opposition try to cope.
    We may not hit those dizzy heights of 2 years ago but we had another less glamorous 5 game winning run and then an 8 game winning run thereafter. I’d take that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Not bothered about losing a player who scored 19 goals in the Championship two years ago?

The last time City had a forward who scored that many goals at this level was a decade ago.

I can kind of understand what you're saying, though. The Reid signing was odd from the start. After all, Warnock was never likely to set up his team to play to Reid's strengths, which makes you wonder why he signed him in the first place.