+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can you imagine how cardiff fans would react if we passed the ball around at the back like Luton did yesterday?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Can you imagine how cardiff fans would react if we passed the ball around at the back like Luton did yesterday?

It wouldn’t be a pretty showing, no. Cardiff complete just above half of their passes, so that wouldn’t look good either. But that is what Warwick has put together. He only signed ONE player that can be regarded as talent for the future. The rest is horses for corpses. It’s all about himself, and he is not setting the club up for any progress. Wonder when fans will realize this.

Re: Can you imagine how cardiff fans would react if we passed the ball around at the back like Luton did yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmother View Post
    It wouldn’t be a pretty showing, no. Cardiff complete just above half of their passes, so that wouldn’t look good either. But that is what Warwick has put together. He only signed ONE player that can be regarded as talent for the future. The rest is horses for corpses. It’s all about himself, and he is not setting the club up for any progress. Wonder when fans will realize this.

What do you want to do then ?
    - start trying to play a continental style passing game and taking on Liverpool and Manchester City at their own game ?

Cardiff City have has a good measure of success by doing something different to most other teams. When it works, which is quite a lot of the time, it exploits the weaknesses in current footballing strategies and gets us much further than we've got any right to expect with our resources.
    That's worth doing and gets results, and it's called Warnockball.

From my point of view it's far more creditable than just buying success as the big clubs do, and in the real world 90% of clubs including ourselves can't do that anyway.

There are many many clubs trying to play "quality" football and yielding nothing but frustrated mediocrity from their efforts.

Case in point: Bristol City.

Warnockball got us promoted with one of the lowest budgets in the Championship and very nearly kept us in the premiership.
    There's a very good chance that Warnockball will get us there again this year.

Those who constantly moan about it, ( and I don't single you out because there are plenty here), are not being logical or wise.

I sometimes get a bit irritated in the other threads here with youngsters who don't acknowledge that experience of the real world counts much and think they're the first people to come up with theories which don't actually work.

Perhaps that makes me a bit rude and dismissive of them, which is probably wrong of me, but the fact is that I've been around the block a few times and in the process I hope I've learned the difference between a seductive argument and a workable policy. On this basis , I suggest that the manager we've got knows exactly what he's doing - what sounds like a nice idea and what will actually work to get the best possible outcome in an imperfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    - start trying to play a continental style passing game and taking on Liverpool and Manchester City at their own game ?

Cardiff City have has a good measure of success by doing something different to most other teams. When it works, which is quite a lot of the time, it exploits the weaknesses in current footballing strategies and gets us much further than we've got any right to expect with our resources.

From my point of view it's far more creditable than just buying success as the big clubs do, and in the real world 90% of clubs including ourselves can't do that anyway.

There are many many clubs trying to play "quality" football and yielding nothing but frustrated mediocrity from their efforts.

Warnockball got us promoted with one of the lowest budgets in the Championship and very nearly kept us in the premiership.

Those who constantly moan about it, ( and I don't single you out because there are plenty here), are not being logical or wise.

I sometimes get a bit irritated in the other threads here with youngsters who don't acknowledge that experience of the real world counts much and think they're the first people to come up with theories which don't actually work.

Perhaps that makes me a bit rude and dismissive of them, which is probably wrong of me, but the fact is that I've been around the block a few times and in the process I hope I've learned the difference between a seductive argument and a workable policy. On this basis , I suggest that the manager we've got knows exactly what he's doing - what sounds like a nice idea and what will actually work to get the best possible outcome in an imperfect world.
    As I mentioned in another post, I actually agree with a fair bit of what you say, but, the facts say that the Warnock method is not as successful as you make it appear in your final paragraph. As of now, Neil Warnock sides have been promoted in one of five of the seasons he has been in management. That's a fine record that many others must envy, but I'm not sure that it's good enough to merit the all of our eggs in one basket approach being seen this season whereby we follow one method and one method only.

If we had not scored that very late goal yesterday, I'm sure there would have been some on here urging patience, but I guarantee that "Warnockball" would have been getting a far tougher time of it on here than its did last night and is doing today because when it is executed badly and the wins don't come, it has nothing whatsoever to it to please football fans - I'm sure the fans will stay with our manager and his team if our current league position soon turns into one in the top six, but if it stays as it is, there won't be much "in Warnock we trust" being seen on here.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

Jesus, nobody wants us to be Man City or Liverpool or even Bristol City, although the club are having a good go at it! All thar people are asking for is that we try and keep the ball a little longer and don't invite pressure, and maybe for the fullbacks to support the wide players now and again. I'm glad that you also live in the 'real world' whatever that is.

Blimey, they're slow, but no that slow..

Horses for WHAT??
    That's up there with damp squid and escaped goat.