+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premier League messing with the rules again

Premier League messing with the rules again

"Use of the arm" in the Wolves v Leicester game, in many people's opinion Wolves had a perfectly good goal ruled out.

The pundits on MOTD2 all defending it because it's now "the law".
    Phil Neville in particular saying that everyone knows the rule so get on with it.
    Okay yes it is the law but how the feck did it become the law?
    Also, this law is interpreted differently in the EFL.

What the hell is happening to the beautiful game and how are the rules being allowed to differ in different leagues?

Re: Premier League messing with the rules again

I'd like to see a breakaway league with 1970s rules, including black boots (no Alan Ball white ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'd like to see a breakaway league with 1970s rules, including black boots (no Alan Ball white ones)
    ...and socks that can't be pulled up over the knees!!!! What's that all about!!!!

I dont get why the rule regarding goalkeepers keeping at least 1 foot on the line isn't going to be enforced by VAR.
    It was enforced well during the womens world cup, but is only being monitored by the referee in the PL. Fabianski was off the line for both of Agueros pens on Saturday, but VAR spotted the encroachment instead.

Defending the law. What next.

That one for sterling where one of his hairs was offside is taking it too far for me.

Yes technically it's the right decision but we are then slowing down the game to check and check again after he has celebrated, the fans have celebrated. All for a decision so close that if he was that hairs width back he still would have got to the ball and set up jesus in almost an identical way.

I don't know, when they first started drafting the rules of the game it was never made for technology like this. Just don't think it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I dont get why the rule regarding goalkeepers keeping at least 1 foot on the line isn't going to be enforced by VAR.
    It was enforced well during the womens world cup, but is only being monitored by the referee in the PL. Fabianski was off the line for both of Agueros pens on Saturday, but VAR spotted the encroachment instead.
    Well I'm sure that the VAR officials will make sure that the rules are applied across the board ensuring fairness to all teams

West Ham fans can feel a little aggrieved after their Man Citeh game and, although the result would not have affected their result, we can expect to see much gnashing of teeth this season.

Nuno and Wolves fans were upset by that handball decision, so I think it was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Defending the law. What next.
    I'm sure the rest of the board will join me in thanking you for your excellent thread contribution

Calling offsides down to the exact millimetre is stupid I think.

The rule was brought in to stop goal hanging, why does a half an inch matter? Give the attackers the benefit of the doubt and say a clear gap between the players is needed.

If that one in the Leicester v Wolves game is handball, how come the one in the Watford v Brighton game wasn’t ?????

The defensive wall one, at the free kick !!! Defo pelanty in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    That one for sterling where one of his hairs was offside is taking it too far for me.

Yes technically it's the right decision but we are then slowing down the game to check and check again after he has celebrated, the fans have celebrated. All for a decision so close that if he was that hairs width back he still would have got to the ball and set up jesus in almost an identical way.

I don't know, when they first started drafting the rules of the game it was never made for technology like this. Just don't think it fits.
    Agree. And then a little later, a goal stood because Sterling was a hairs breadth the correct side thanks to the defenders arse.

The game hasn't improved. There's still the same amount of moaning and controversy. Perhaps more.

In the past no one would have questioned either of these decisions as it was basically level, but now it's a talking point in a 5-0 battering.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Also, this law is interpreted differently in the EFL.
    Really? What gives you that impression?

Incidentally, the Premier League hasn’t ‘messed’ with any of the laws of the game. It doesn’t have the power to do that. The laws are determined by the IFAB.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Agree. And then a little later, a goal stood because Sterling was a hairs breadth the correct side thanks to the defenders arse.

The game hasn't improved. There's still the same amount of moaning and controversy. Perhaps more.

In the past no one would have questioned either of these decisions as it was basically level, but now it's a talking point in a 5-0 battering.
    I think it’s being used wrongly especially for offside and handballs. There’s no going back with it now, i honestly think it ruins the game.

I'm sure the rest of the board will join me in thanking you for your excellent thread contribution
    They must still all be asleep.

They’ve changed the laws, to apparently make them more clear. Rules change as things evolve, the skill and speed of the game for example.

So yeah, defending the law, what next.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Really? What gives you that impression?

Incidentally, the Premier League hasn’t ‘messed’ with any of the laws of the game. It doesn’t have the power to do that. The laws are determined by the IFAB.
    It was stated on the championship coverage, on the Quest program if I recall correctly.

They also put up a statement caption on MOTD2 from the EPL Twitter account clarifying it.

I also heard on one of the sports reports that other leagues in Europe are not abiding by the same rule.

The game in general at all levels are playing to different rules.

If that handball given against Wolves is the norm then the game is well and truly broken IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    They must still all be asleep.

They’ve changed the laws, to apparently make them more clear. Rules change as things evolve, the skill and speed of the game for example.

So yeah, defending the law, what next.
    Ah that's better, an attempt at some reasoning behind your post, how hard was that?

Not that I agree that the game is evolving for the better in this case.

It was stated on the championship coverage, on the Quest program if I recall correctly.

They also put up a statement caption on MOTD2 from the EPL Twitter account clarifying it.

I also heard on one of the sports reports that other leagues in Europe are not abiding by the same rule.

If that handball given against Wolves is the norm then the game is well and truly broken IMHO.
    You’re talking nonsense. Once altered by the IFAB, the laws of the game are universal. They don’t differ from league to league.

The handball rule (and the other changes) very definitely apply this season in the EFL. Source: the EFL’s own website.

I'm involved in running a football club and we went to a seminar on the new rules. If the ball strikes your arm or hand to score a goal, it is handball, even if it wouldn't be given as handball elsewhere on the pitch. That's been universally adopted.

Re the rules from league to league, while the rules don't differ some of the interpretation does. This was the exact wording of our FA Ref. In this case though, there is no need for interpretation.

Well I'm sure that the VAR officials will make sure that the rules are applied across the board ensuring fairness to all teams
    The next logical step with VAR is when virtually identical hairline scenarios are given different outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You’re talking nonsense. Once altered by the IFAB, the laws of the game are universal. They don’t differ from league to league.

The handball rule (and the other changes) very definitely apply this season in the EFL. Source: the EFL’s own website.
    I am merely reiterating what was reported and although my memory isn't what it was, it was definitely stated that other european leagues differ.
    Perhaps the EPL are trialling it?

In any case, I am not bothering to enter into an argument with you as that's all you seem to do is pick on a particular piece of a post and offer either sarcasm or abuse, often ignoring the main thread topic altogether.

You haven't offered an opinion on whether the game is better for the new changes or worse. Perhaps you'd like to?
    Assuming you have an opinion, surely you cannot deny that there will be mass confusion as to what constitutes handball from grass roots upwards and the game has not evolved for the better

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'm involved in running a football club and we went to a seminar on the new rules. If the ball strikes your arm or hand to score a goal, it is handball, even if it wouldn't be given as handball elsewhere on the pitch. That's been universally adopted.

Re the rules from league to league, while the rules don't differ some of the interpretation does. This was the exact wording of our FA Ref. In this case though, there is no need for interpretation.
    As someone pointed out the ball struck the arm of Glen Murray who was on the end of a wall in the pelanty area.

It was so obvious it struck his hand that officials must have interpreted something otherwise a spot kick should have been given

Ah that's better, an attempt at some reasoning behind your post, how hard was that?

Not that I agree that the game is evolving for the better in this case.
    It’s getting faster, and referees coordination isn’t so they need all the help they can get.

I made a blunt point, people don’t HAVE to debate all the time. It’s a free old world to behave how we like (within reason)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    If that one in the Leicester v Wolves game is handball, how come the one in the Watford v Brighton game wasn’t ?????

The defensive wall one, at the free kick !!! Defo pelanty in my eyes
    Different situations and different rules apply.

As someone pointed out the ball struck the arm of Glen Murray who was on the end of a wall in the pelanty area.

It was so obvious it struck his hand that officials must have interpreted something otherwise a spot kick should have been given
    If the ball strikes your arm or hand to score a goal, it is handball, even if it wouldn't be given as handball elsewhere on the pitch. I have no idea what Glenn Murray has to do with it.