+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premier League messing with the rules again

Re: Premier League messing with the rules again

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If the ball strikes your arm or hand to score a goal, it is handball, even if it wouldn't be given as handball elsewhere on the pitch. I have no idea what Glenn Murray has to do with it.
    Would be a hell of a deflection if Murray scored off his hand inside his own pelanty area.

Okay it seems we've morphed into two different scenarios where there are different rules applied to each scenario but we are talking about handball inside the pelanty area.
    Whether scoring or preventing a goal, then shirley it should be treated the same.

I'm waiting for the time where a ball is deflected off the hand of a defender onto the hand of a striker wgo scores, only to have it ruled out for hand ball.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Okay it seems we've morphed into two different scenarios where there are different rules applied to each scenario but we are talking about handball inside the pelanty area.
    Whether scoring or preventing a goal, then shirley it should be treated the same.

I'm waiting for the time where a ball is deflected off the hand of a defender onto the hand of a striker wgo scores, only to have it ruled out for hand ball.
    It isn't treated the same, that isn't the rule. Any use of a hand or arm resulting in a goal being scored, is now handball. The normal handball rules still apply for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It isn't treated the same, that isn't the rule. Any use of a hand or arm resulting in a goal being scored, is now handball. The normal handball rules still apply for everything else.
    I think they also tried to clarify the handball law away from goals scored i.e. if a player sticks their arm out, to make the body bigger unnaturally and the ball hits it even unintentionally, then a penalty should be awarded. The problem there is it gives a cop out as to interpretation of unnaturally. This is what happened with Glenn Murray on Saturday, some thought it was handball, the VAR review didn’t. At least with the handball for a goal there is no subjectivity.

I am merely reiterating what was reported and although my memory isn't what it was, it was definitely stated that other european leagues differ. Perhaps the EPL are trialling it?
    You're not repeating what was reported. The EPL aren't trialling 'it'. The rules of the game have changed.

Have a look at this:

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/august...y-have-missed/

You said the Premier League was messing with the rules again. That's the title of the thread. They aren't. You were wrong. You also said the new handball rule is interpreted differently in the EFL. It isn't. You were wrong again. You asked why the laws of the game are being allowed to differ in different leagues. They aren't.

You also asked what I think of the new rules. I think they are stupid. I think the handball rule should be the same for all situations regardless of where the incident happens on the pitch. I believe that only instances where the handball is clearly deliberate should be punished. I think punishing a player for the ball simply hitting him or her without any intention from the player is utterly ridiculous.

In case you're interested, I also think VAR is a load of bollocks that not only does more harm than good but also takes away some vital aspects of the game. The human element in terms of decisions is one of the things that makes the game interesting as far as I'm concerned, although I must admit I'm falling further and further out of love with it anyway as every year passes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You're not repeating what was reported. The EPL aren't trialling 'it'. The rules of the game have changed.

Have a look at this:

You said the Premier League was messing with the rules again. That's the title of the thread. They aren't. You were wrong. You also said the new handball rule is interpreted differently in the EFL. It isn't. You were wrong again. You asked why the laws of the game are being allowed to differ in different leagues. They aren't.

You also asked what I think of the new rules. I think they are stupid. I think the handball rule should be the same for all situations regardless of where the incident happens on the pitch. I believe that only instances where the handball is clearly deliberate should be punished. I think punishing a player for the ball simply hitting him or her without any intention from the player is utterly ridiculous.

In case you're interested, I also think VAR is a load of bollocks that not only does more harm than good but also takes away some vital aspects of the game. The human element in terms of decisions is one of the things that makes the game interesting as far as I'm concerned, although I must admit I'm falling further and further out of love with it anyway as every year passes.
    Someone call 999

There’s been a murder.

It made me laugh when Wolves captain said VAR was meant to end talking points. Sure, that's how the BBC decided to sell it, but anyone who has followed NFL knows that VAR was only going to change the topic of the conversation. Now we're realising how many pundits don't know the rules and can't explain what's going on to the viewers, how maddening some of the rules are and how often it still comes down to the ref's interpretation. This before the rules are different in different competitions so even more complex.

Those who sold VAR as the way forward in football were so unbelievably naïve about what VAR in football meant.

Have a look at this:

Spot on.

A reporter said the other day "I know there are some real VAR-lovers out there, but I have zero appetite for three-minute delays so that a goal can be disallowed because someone appears to be 3 millimetres offside."

A £20m striker missing a sitter. It's fun. An £80m defender falling on his arse trying to stop an attack, hilarious. A goalie on £100k a week letting one slip through his hands, hilarious.

Referees giving a penalty when it wasn't, it's also fun.

Football takes itself too seriously these days with everyone trotting out the same old shite that Sky trots out about how that one bad decision could cost a club millions.

It's horse shit. If a club misses out on the top 4, it's not going to go down to one bad decision. We were relegated last season, most of the people here blame referee decisions. Fact is, we weren't good enough. But, Warnock escapes criticism by coming onto the TV at 5 past 5 to complain about a bad referee decision.

VAR is making the game dull already, the novelty has quickly evaporated.

And, as for handball, fair enough there were grey areas to get rid of, but calling everything handball is not the answer.

As for offside, about 8 years ago offside was nailed. Then they pissed around with it all again and now no-one is even sure any more. In the PL it is worse, play continues when the flag is raised because VAR may decide the linesman was wrong.

So long talking points, well done Sky. You now have the perfect, clean game you always wanted. Not sure the game will be any good without controversy mind.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It made me laugh when Wolves captain said VAR was meant to end talking points. Sure, that's how the BBC decided to sell it, but anyone who has followed NFL knows that VAR was only going to change the topic of the conversation. Now we're realising how many pundits don't know the rules and can't explain what's going on to the viewers, how maddening some of the rules are and how often it still comes down to the ref's interpretation. This before the rules are different in different competitions so even more complex.

Those who sold VAR as the way forward in football were so unbelievably naïve about what VAR in football meant.
    It's here, and it won't go away now. It will improve next year, and just when it is "perfect" they will mess around with it again.

Before long, the ball will hit the net, and fans will stand up. But, cheer? No. they will watch the big screen until the words "GOAL" come up. Then some cheesy music. Well done everyone, football is now rugby, and it's shit.

My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I dont get why the rule regarding goalkeepers keeping at least 1 foot on the line isn't going to be enforced by VAR.
    It was enforced well during the womens world cup, but is only being monitored by the referee in the PL. Fabianski was off the line for both of Agueros pens on Saturday, but VAR spotted the encroachment instead.
    Virtually every change to the Laws of the Game has caused more confusion and has brought interpretation into the process. Hence there's always a way to err on the side of the top six.

How does the present rule that keepers can move but it's ok as long as ONE foot is on the line bring clarity? They should not move, FULL STOP.

The new offside changes? It's never been so confusing. If you are offside you are offside! What's difficult about that. And delaying flagging causes exasperation with fans.

This is the beginning of the end of football unless they see sense. Dickie Bird never needed VAR.

As Frank Burrows said, "The Laws are to be applied not interpretted."

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    Virtually every change to the Laws of the Game has caused more confusion and has brought interpretation into the process. Hence there's always a way to err on the side of the top six.

How does the present rule that keepers can move but it's ok as long as ONE foot is on the line bring clarity? They should not move, FULL STOP.

The new offside changes? It's never been so confusing. If you are offside you are offside! What's difficult about that. And delaying flagging causes exasperation with fans.

This is the beginning of the end of football unless they see sense. Dickie Bird never needed VAR.

As Frank Burrows said, "The Laws are to be applied not interpretted."

StT.
    <><
    Try and save a penalty without moving first.

Also, the offside rules are too anal now with VAR. I don't want to see someone flagged because they're 3mm offside. It isn't supposed to be applied under scientific measures. VAR is going to kill the game. Limbs from fans when you score are going to be a thing of the past.

I have this mate (loosely) who posts on my laptop when I am off guard. This invariably happens when I have had a drink.
    The stealthy old fox goes by the name of Mr Booze.

He is a knowledgeable, amiable sort of guy who takes great interest in this board.
    He has however been known to be garbled in imparting his wisdom and, on the odd occasion, be erroneous with facts and heavy on opinions.

This has become apparent in this instance and I would like to apologise on his behalf for any misplaced information and will try harder in future to limit the scoundrel's input.

That is all.

I have this mate (loosely) who posts on my laptop when I am off guard. This invariably happens when I have had a drink.
    The stealthy old fox goes by the name of Mr Booze.

He is a knowledgeable, amiable sort of guy who takes great interest in this board.
    He has however been known to be garbled in imparting his wisdom and, on the odd occasion, be erroneous with facts and heavy on opinions.

This has become apparent in this instance and I would like to apologise on his behalf for any misplaced information and will try harder in future to limit the scoundrel's input.

That is all.
    I accept this

Drunk me and me are two different people, if I’ve done something silly when drunk leave sober me alone and take it up with pissed me when you next see him.

They never do. Winner.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Nuno and Wolves fans were upset by that handball decision, so I think it was correct.
    Yes seals the deal for me, great decision