+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Toshack and Clark, Alston and Evans, Bothroyd and Chopra. Vassell and Glatzel?

Toshack and Clark, Alston and Evans, Bothroyd and Chopra. Vassell and Glatzel?

Could it work. Similar but different.

Re: Toshack and Clark, Alston and Evans, Bothroyd and Chopra. Vassell and Glatzel?

I think if Pack can hold centre midfield with Ralls, 4-4-2 is probably more logical than 4-3-1, though it leaves us more open. We've got the best wingers at the club in a generation. Providing there's enough movement up front and we've players who can pick a pass in midfield, definitely. Would be a shame to have 5 forwards fighting for one position.

Re: Toshack and Clark, Alston and Evans, Bothroyd and Chopra. Vassell and Glatzel?

4-3-1 gives you a terrible disadvantage because you've only got eight outfield players, but I suppose it'd save on wages.

With the mention of Brian Clark, I'm reminded of a forward of ours from that era - (Peter?) Donnelly. I remember him starting for us in our first season back in the First Division in the early sixties. Besides the name I don't remember much else was he a success for us and what became of him?

Haven't looked on Wikipedia but I would prefer personal input anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    With the mention of Brian Clark, I'm reminded of a forward of ours from that era - (Peter?) Donnelly. I remember him starting for us in our first season back in the First Division in the early sixties. Besides the name I don't remember much else was he a success for us and what became of him?

IMG_4855 (002).jpg

Can't quite read that but thanks.

Can't quite read that but thanks.
    It basically says he was with us for a year, went to Swansea for a year, then Brighton for 3 years and one season at Bradford City. 160 appearances for 6 clubs, 43 goals.

I think it's a bit early to compare with Toshack and Clark, who I believe both hit 100 goals or so for us in all competitions. Evans and Alston was a great partnership but only lasted juts short of a year. Chopra and Bothroyd I thought were an excellent pairing especially with Whittingham and Burke in support.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Could it work. Similar but different.
    Thorne and Earnie

Thank you, both.

I cant recall a Donnelly in the squad with Clarky ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I cant recall a Donnelly in the squad with Clarky ??
    He left in 61. Clark arrived in 68

I remember him. He didn't have a lot of finesse but was effective in a battering ram sort of way. His nickname was 'Butcher'.

Didn't say he played in the same side as Clark but was of that era - I didn't think the gap between the two was that big but it is a long time ago and memory can play tricks on you.