+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Cup Team ?

A Cup Team ?

Personally I never like wasting effort or risking injury on the FA Cup, but I was thinking... We've got a lot of strength in depth now, particularly up front surprisingly.
    Could we assemble a realistic team of reserves / squad players just for the Cup and, if they have a realistic run in the early rounds maybe strengthen it if it seems to be going anywhere ?

Ideal opportunity for the likes of Tomlin , Madine and Bogle to show what they can do and maybe challenge for first team places, and maybe play a more adventurous style of football than Sir Neil would allow in games that really matter.

Who'd you pick for a team like that !

Re: A Cup Team ?

It is baffling we dont commit more to the cup effort , the players you list are well capable of winning games.

I'd be even more adventurous by selecting a young up and coming youth or reserve coach to take complete charge of the cup team, to enhance thier development , and those youngsters we should pick alongside the three or four experienced players you have mentioned , all we seek is effort , desire wnd s possible future state post Warnock .

The team Warnock pout out for last seasons FA Cup 3rd Round game away at Gillingham was a half and half team. We were shite, we lost 1-0. I don't think a team made up totally of reserves/squad players would do any better

Probably wouldn't but it's a no risk strategy. If these squad players do well that'd be a great thing for them and the club - if they get knocked out by a pub team from Essex we haven't lost anything .

Since he's been with Warnock has given the impression that he has no interest in Cup competitions, perhaps he would be prepared to stand aside and let someone else have a go in the cup games. Don't really think that is going to happen though.

Any side test makes more than 3 changes is going to struggle as its no longer the first team

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Since he's been with Warnock has given the impression that he has no interest in Cup competitions, perhaps he would be prepared to stand aside and let someone else have a go in the cup games. Don't really think that is going to happen though.
    This. He could be Man City boss playing Cambridge home and he'd send out a reserve side that played with the intensity of a dying man's hand shake.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This. He could be Man City boss playing Cambridge home and he'd send out a reserve side that played with the intensity of a dying man's hand shake.
    Mug that I am, I'll be there against Luton even though I know you can't get promoted through what you do in Cup competitions and so they are of little or no interest to this manager.

Promotion season under Warnock aside, by far the best moments this club has had in the last 12 years now has been in cup competitions. We have some strength in depth now so it would be shame not to put more effort in than we have over past three or four years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mug that I am, I'll be there against Luton even though I know you can't get promoted through what you do in Cup competitions and so they are of little or no interest to this manager.

Personally I couldn't give a rats arse about the cup in this day and age , ( much as it was a GREAT thing in the past), but you invoke a thought - wouldn't it be a great idea if winning the Cup carried some benefit for EFL teams ?
    Not sure what - automatic promotion would be hard to organise because you could hardly deny someone else who'd earned it in their league, but maybe a play off place ?

Again, that'd require co operation between different football authorities, which seems unlikely, but it's a thought

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Personally I couldn't give a rats arse about the cup in this day and age , ( much as it was a GREAT thing in the past), but you invoke a thought - wouldn't it be a great idea if winning the Cup carried some benefit for EFL teams ?
    Not sure what - automatic promotion would be hard to organise because you could hardly deny someone else who'd earned it in their league, but maybe a play off place ?

Again, that'd require co operation between different football authorities, which seems unlikely, but it's a thought
    Good thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post

It would be so hard to get approval for, but perhaps a way could be found for a side that reached a Final to take part in the Play Offs? It could work in the League Cup, but maybe not the FA Cup.

The League Cup should just be the league teams, i.e. tiers 2-4.