+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Germany in recession

Germany in recession

We have a lot of political discussion on here and many points to the UKs porblems as being related to our Toey govt and being outside of the EU.

Here we have Germany, led by a centre-left govt in coalition with the Greens and Liberals and very much at the heart of the EU and yet their economy is in recession.

Why is this? Could it be that the causes of problems are global and real and a change of govt or membership of the EU is irrelevant?

https://www.euronews.com/2023/05/25/...n-first-quarte

Re: Germany in recession

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    We have a lot of political discussion on here and many points to the UKs porblems as being related to our Toey govt and being outside of the EU.

Here we have Germany, led by a centre-left govt in coalition with the Greens and Liberals and very much at the heart of the EU and yet their economy is in recession.

Why is this? Could it be that the causes of problems are global and real and a change of govt or membership of the EU is irrelevant?

Anyone with a brain cell knows that economics is a complex subject and that there are many factors that affect national economies.
    The German economy has receded from a higher base than ours and it's not that easy to tease out the long-term EU factor at this stage.

The Germans beat us on basically every economic and quality of life metric..

https://livingcost.org/cost/germany/united-kingdom

What kind of sophistry is this?

The German economy is bigger than our own, and has been performing better than our own too. Even after this mini contraction, the German economy will be larger than our own when compared to pre Brexit and pre-Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Anyone with a brain cell knows that economics is a complex subject and that there are many factors that affect national economies.
    The German economy has receded from a higher base than ours and it's not that easy to tease out the long-term EU factor at this stage.
    This eliminates most Brexit supporters

It's like measuring apples with pears.

Considering our small size v Germany it's remarkable how well we punch our weight .

Recently a friend returned from working in Germany for 5 years , found taxes high. Had to top up for comple health care to match our ( complety free access for all )

This is a decent read :
    https://liveworkgermany.com/moving-t...y-from-the-uk/

The article avoids the crazy immigration policy deployed by the last lady Chancellor which is now hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's like measuring apples with pears.

Considering our small size v Germany it's remarkable how well we punch our weight .

Recently a friend returned from working in Germany for 5 years , found taxes high. Had to top up for comple health care to match our ( complety free access for all )

This is a decent read :
    https://liveworkgermany.com/moving-t...y-from-the-uk/
    eh?

our population is 68m, Germany's is 83m, it is hardly apples and pears . They will be aligned by around 2040 given current growth rates.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    What kind of sophistry is this?

The German economy is bigger than our own, and has been performing better than our own too. Even after this mini contraction, the German economy will be larger than our own when compared to pre Brexit and pre-Covid.
    Yes, the German economy would have to contract a lot more than 0.3% to mean that we were as close in terms of GDP as we were before Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes, the German economy would have to contract a lot more than 0.3% to mean that we were as close in terms of GDP as we were before Brexit
    by some rough calculations, the German economy would have to shrink by over 6% to put us as close to them in percentage terms as we were prior to Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    by some rough calculations, the German economy would have to shrink by over 6% to put us as close to them in percentage terms as we were prior to Brexit
    JamesWales

Any response?

First Team

JamesWales

Any response?
    Parody Jimbo: "Look, I know what I'm talking about. I've carefully cherry-picked a few static indicators of the 'success' of Brexit from my favourite tradingeconomics.com site. How dare you question me! I have a degree in town (mis)planning, don't you know. If you carry on picking my feeble arguments apart, I'll get all upset and accuse you of personally insulting me."

Welcome back Feeds. Drink next season?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Parody Jimbo: "Look, I know what I'm talking about. I've carefully cherry-picked a few static indicators of the 'success' of Brexit from my favourite tradingeconomics.com site. How dare you question me! I have a degree in town (mis)planning, don't you know. If you carry on picking my feeble arguments apart, I'll get all upset and accuse you of personally insulting me."

Welcome back Feeds. Drink next season?
    Someone has had a nice weekend. Trading economics.com presents official statistics from around the globe AZ. It's real data. It's facts. Why do you question it?

From their website: "Our data is based on official sources, not third party data providers, and our facts are regularly checked for inconsistencies."

https://tradingeconomics.com/about-te.aspx

Germany is also in recession too. The predictions you like said it wouldn't be, but it is. And the predictions you like said the UK would be at this stage. And we aren't. These are facts. Here it is in the guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ices-take-toll

Am ignoring your strange, false ad hominem attacks because it degrades everyone, and will just wish you a nice remainder of the weekend and I hope you are well.

JamesWales

Any response?
    Yes. It's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Absolutely. Economics is a complex topic and crass generalisations cannot be made from snapshots of data. The point I've been making for some time! 👍

First Team

Absolutely. Economics is a complex topic and crass generalisations cannot be made from snapshots of data. The point I've been making for some time! 👍
    That's all you do, you clown.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    That's all you do, you clown.
    It absolutely is NOT. If anything I am jostled on here for trying to be nuanced.

Let me assure you. I have no interest or time for your insults, so you are wasting your time and it's a very poor mask for you not addressing the topic in hand.

So stick to the topic and quit the insults please.

The Whole ���� Eurozone enters recession

Recession in the Eurozone? Unquestionably Brexit is to blame and it's impact on the EU. Either that or shapeshifting Tories flying over there as migratory lizards and then manifesting themselves as hard working politicians over there. Fk Brexit.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/econo...ion/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    The Whole ���� Eurozone enters recession
    I'm shocked, who'd have thought such a thing could happen as a result of synchronised government policies. Are we next, or is it the USA/Can/Aus/NZ? Has anybody mentioned CBDC yet

Well they did get into a very murky bed with Russia fook everyone else at the time , let in way too many Syrians and of course they are missing the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'm shocked, who'd have thought such a thing could happen as a result of synchronised government policies. Are we next, or is it the USA/Can/Aus/NZ? Has anybody mentioned CBDC yet

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    We are sleepwalking towards net zero restrictions, central bank digital currencies & digital ID. It is being sold as “for our security and convenience’, but it’s actually for their control, power and greed. A giant virtue con-trick.

pic.twitter.com/DXi1WyUmZD
    — James Melville (@JamesMelville) June 8, 2023
    But Cyril said they are all conspiracy theories, including this one too..

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1665669894648606724