+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A level grade "boundaries" leak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: A level grade "boundaries" leak

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Whatever the degree of difficulty was "back in my day" (mid 1960's) all I know is that to get one A grade at A level was quite an achievement and to get three A's was almost unheard of! You would have been looking at a 90%+ mark in each subject. I am not denigrating the achievement of today's youngsters at all, as it is not their fault that the standards have been dumbed down over the years and finally the education authorities have realised that something had to be done. Unfortunately it may be that the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and the exams are now so difficult that they have to reduce the pass mark to compensate! Hence my comment, what a farce.
    If anyone should be annoyed, it's me who got an average of over 95% in my Maths A level. I've now only got an A instead of the A* . I really don't care, also this "standards have been dumbed down" is rubbish, look at what young people are achieving now. If an exam board writes a paper that is outside of the curriculum (which has happened) it is deeply upfair to judge someone on it.

Re: A level grade "boundaries" leak

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If anyone should be annoyed, it's me who got an average of over 95% in my Maths A level. I've now only got an A instead of the A* . I really don't care, also this "standards have been dumbed down" is rubbish, look at what young people are achieving now. If an exam board writes a paper that is outside of the curriculum (which has happened) it is deeply upfair to judge someone on it.

If that is what has happened here, then I absolutely agree, that is just crazy. Is that how they make an exam harder? Once again, what a farce!